• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Absolute top 10x (under $3000) (2 Viewers)

They better. If they post it they should honor it even if they are in error. That's called integrity. I've detected two Fov errors on their products when I was looking to buy from them and sent 3 emails to inform them and they've ignored all three and left the specs as they are. This says something to me about how they do business.

That tells me that they have to correct their website which ideally they will do when they get around to it.:smoke:

Bob

SF Drop

I asked her why she hadn't put the Bino neck strap on them before taking them out and she just looked at me.:gh: So I dropped it. er I mean she dropped it.;)

Well I wish her the best on the wrist, hope it heals quickly, to get out there for some viewing. The SF has very good optics and I am sure they will be enjoyed.

You will like the 10X35 EII, it is new to me also, and I ordered it after enjoying the 8X30 EII. The 7 degree FOV with the porro view is surprisingly good on a dark night for astro, and they are light in hand.

Just tell her don't drop any more glass, especially using one hand.

Andy W.

BC
Your lady friend will find that there will be a legacy from having her wrist immobilised. This happened in different circumstances to Troubadoris and it only takes a very few weeks of inactivity for the muscles to atrophy. We recommend she gets physical therapy after the wrist heals so that she recovers her full wrist function. Give her our best wishes.

Lee

Thank you. I'll relay your message to her. It's a very good idea and she has great insurance. I spent much of the day over there with her yesterday after she got home from the hospital and I opened a big drawer at her house and it had a huge number of binoculars in it. It was all the binoculars I had found and that we had tried out. I had sold off many of mine but she hadn't bothered. It was totally fun going through all of them just for a peek at each and then back to my EII and her Zeiss. We just sat down by the creek and all the birds we saw were tiny bush tits and some yellow rumped warblers they were in very tall trees and those guys were far up above us so that it was challenge to identify them because the sun was facing towards us. Both binoculars did a great job however of seeing enough detail to identify them. Plus with her 444 ft and my 664 ft Fov they could not elude us even when zipping from tree to tree. It was very relaxed and very fun. I felt like a bit of a king looking through those binoculars. This confirmed for me that I was correct to think that I could find some of the best binoculars for me and friend without having to become an expert on optics and that I could form options that worked and were valid to a great extent just by careful evaluation of what knowledgeable folk here said and some hands on viewing on a somewhat daily basis based on intuitive analysis of the optic. (did it look good to me) I still hardly know much about optics. It's never been a goal of mine. I've achieved my goal. I know what a good optic is without being really able to tell you much about how I know it's good.B :):-O:t:

BC
And binos don't have to be perfect to deliver delightful experiences or indeed useful behavioural observations.

Lee

That's for sure. All the binoculars in that drawer were very good and at one time our "Alpha" binoculars. When you really get down to it, these top end binoculars are only delivering a small percentage of overall improvement. I think that is so fortunate because almost anyone in a first world country can own a good optic.

UPDATE on the Zeiss. She had to send the 10x back because one eye cup won't function and now the second pair has the same issue and the 8x is also giving problems. I know it's nothing she did as I noticed a possible problem with the first pair on day one. They aren't good. I'm advising her to return all of them and go with something else. Maybe the Swaro EL because she really likes Swarovski.

UPDATE on the Zeiss. She had to send the 10x back because one eye cup won't function and now the second pair has the same issue and the 8x is also giving problems. I know it's nothing she did as I noticed a possible problem with the first pair on day one. They aren't good. I'm advising her to return all of them and go with something else. Maybe the Swaro EL because she really likes Swarovski.

What a bummer, BC. Seems she really loved the ergonomics and optics of the SF.

A possible solution could be a quick call to US Zeiss Sports Optics (800-841-3005-Very Helpful CS)...that would get you immediate replaceable eye cups that are (from my understanding) on the current newest black SF models?!

Ted

I'll convey that to her. Thanks.

But my question is why all these pairs gone wrong? These are supposed to be top of the line optics.

Last edited:
UPDATE on the Zeiss. She had to send the 10x back because one eye cup won't function and now the second pair has the same issue and the 8x is also giving problems. ........

BC .... Would you please provide some detail explaining the problem with the eyecups. Thanks.

I have a Zeiss SF in both the 8X and 10X along with a Conquest HD 10X42 that looks to share the same basic eyecup design with the SF. The only issue I have had is they have come loose on occasion. I use them fully extended for viewing without glasses but do turn them frequently for blowing or brushing any crud off the eyepiece lens. A loose eye cup happened to me yesterday on a Nikon EDG and a few weeks ago on a Swaro EL. That issue comes with binoculars with removable eye cups. If the eye cup is defective, Zeiss can send you a new one and it can easily be replaced by the owner. I am curious to know exactly what the nature of the problem is with her units. I assume it is something other than being loose.

Yes they come loose too, and they won't stay put on the last click. Not too important for her but a pain in the butt for someone like me. The left side would not stay put all the way out.

Well at this point she has another 30 days with the Zeiss 10x since they sent another pair which also has eyecup problems but are useable for testing. I think she's now going to order a Leica Noctivid and a Swaro EL and see what she likes best out of the three. I'm saying it will be the Noctivid or the Swaro and the Zeiss will fall out. If the Noctivid is anything like my 10x32 Ultravid then I'll cast my vote there. I like the view in my Leica 10x32 better than her Zeiss 10x42 SF. I did a comparison today at her house. The eye relief on my Ultravid is a no go for her but not on the Noctivid.

Yeah, for the first time in my life I have a ring side seat for something big.3:)

Any predictions? I guess my skills as a bookie would be frowned on here.

Last edited:
Thanks I'll pass that thread on to her, on this new pair the right eye cup will not go all the way down. It will go to within one click of being down and it's jammed there. This is not good IMO. Two pair with slightly differing issues. She's certainly a little spooked and I can't blame her. The 8x eye cups seem fine but I have to admit to the feeling of a problem just waiting to happen at this point. That's not a good way to feel about a binocular you just paid over two grand for. She's taking it a lot better than I would be. I'd send them both back and seek my alpha elsewhere. It's a shame because optically they are stellar.

I have the Ultravid HD 8X42 and I would consider it to be a premium glass. The sharpness of fine detail with the color rendition is tough to beat IMO, additionally it is the smallest of the premium 8X42s, a nice compact package.

Andy W.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back