• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Raptor from Costa Rica (1 Viewer)

michael-ibk

An extreme crop of a bad photo in rainy weather, so please excuse the poor quality. Don´t know if it´s possible to ID this one from the photo but I´d still appreciate any trys. Taken July 20th, North of San Jose, probably something like 500 or 600 m above sea level.

Attachments

• large_FC6.JPG.8f3dce1f4b184e445fe9e066c8dd5e8e.JPG
    large_FC6.JPG.8f3dce1f4b184e445fe9e066c8dd5e8e.JPG
    160.8 KB · Views: 85
because of the longwinged appearance and pattern in the fingers but the bulge in the secondaries is hard to come by in Zone tailed indeed.
A pattern in the fingers is not fully absent in Short tails and the pattern is rather bold for Zone tailed..so I better start varying the aspect towards the wingtip (handformula) and look upon more long-winged impressions in Short tails then.

thanks Eduardo

Certainly a Zone-tailed.

Could you please elaborate because I can't get past a Short-tailed Hawk. The bird looks to be a non adult. To me it appears to show broad dark wing barring and a whitish patch at the base of the outer primaries (contra Zone-tailed).

A dark imm Short-tailed Hawk (1st pic)
https://neotropical.birds.cornell.edu/Species-Account/nb/species/shthaw/multimedia/photos

Juv Zone-tailed
https://www.sdbirder.com/Birds/Juvenile-Zone-tailed-Hawk/

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back