• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Parkgate-Wirral-High Tides (1 Viewer)

David Smith

Warrington Lancs
As many will know there are usually 2 or 3 particularly high tides each year (10.0 metres+). When this occurs the small creatures that live in the mud flats are forced out of hiding and the raptors come to feast.
The high tide(s) usually last 2 or 3 days.
Can anyone tell me-is it only the 1st of the high tides when this happens or is it for the 2 or 3 days ?
Might sound a daft question but I can't imagine the little creatures going back home the same day than having to leave again etc. etc.
Rason for asking is the high tide was Sunday & today then again tomorrow and I am thinking of going-don't want to travel if its not worth it.

take a look on the bbc website under weather then click on coast and sea that should take you to tide tables just put in your location and you will have a nice graphic showing time and range of the area you want.Its great i use it all the time here.

dafi said:
take a look on the bbc website under weather then click on coast and sea that should take you to tide tables just put in your location and you will have a nice graphic showing time and range of the area you want.Its great i use it all the time here.
-
Thankyou
Perhaps I didn't explain properly. I know the times-tomorrow it's 12.00.
What I need to know is :-
The tide has been very high since Sunday. Therefor on sunday all the creatures were forced out of their homes which brought the raptors in. Will the creatures have gone back home to be forced out again today then do it all over again tomorrow?
This may be a local occurance or maybe it happens on all estuaries ??

Often day 1 can be best - but I think that the size of the night time tide can affect it too.

3 Short-eared Owls at Heswall and at least one more at Parkgate where the tide did not quite get up to the wall.

Tomorrow it may well, and locals are suggesting Parkgate will be the place to be.

I'd be surprised if there wasn't at least a couple of Owls tomorrow.

I've heard a lot about this,I believe you can see Waterrails and Moles scampering for cover while the raptors hunt them,I've always wanted to go and see this but sadly tomorrow isn't convinient.

Today was a dead loss - the weather just didn't favour the tide resulting in no flooding.

We had a good Hen Harrier, and out of place Scaup and the traditional Little Owl in the paddock behind the car park, but no SE Owl (one was reported later) and no mammals at all.

Rob
Maybe a dead loss for most people but as the new comers my wife and I found it quite good today-thank you to the RSPB people who gave us lots of pointers. Also most peope were very pleasant and helpful.
We also saw Egrets, Redshank, Corn Bunting (top of tree in the field) Little Owl (in the tree) 2 Buzzards, Peregrine Falcon (in the distance).
We also saw what people tell me is a Field Fare but I would appreciate confirmation from anyone who was there as it didn't look like the one in my books??
Dave Smith

I expect tomorrow might be better - though the last set of sping tides also flooded the marsh which will reduce the number of mammals I expect. Weasel was the highlight!

I may go out tomorrow and look at the Pipits - possibly fom inside the Harp at Neston if its as cold as today.

Dave,

Fair point - it is always nice at Parkgate and there are always interesting birds about, but compared with a proper "tide" covering the Marsh it was a damp (or rather dry!) squib!

I felt sorry for those who had gone expecting their first experience of the marsh covered.

Thumbs up to Colin and the team for their organisation - can't blame them for Canute winning the day.

High Tide event this TUesday 13th a 10m high tide and conditions are set to change....
fingers crossed

I just noticed your post-didn't realise this thread was still running.
I went on Tuesday but posted result in "my birding day".
The next high tides are 10th & 11th February (11th being 10.12 metres)

I imagine the small mammal population has been quite decimated so less prey available for the predators. May take upto1/2 years to recover.

Robert - Seeing these little creatures trying to survive at a high tide really puts a downer on seeing the spectacle of all the birds there. Was going to put 2nd March in my diary to make an effort to come but not so sure ..................

Sandra

Robert - Seeing these little creatures trying to survive at a high tide really puts a downer on seeing the spectacle of all the birds there. Was going to put 2nd March in my diary to make an effort to come but not so sure ..................
Sandra

Yes-it's easy to say it's all relative i.e. the fox we were all mentally shouting encouragement to had just been trying to eat anything he could get hold of-but that really is nature.
I have been 4 times now (all 10.0 metre plus tides) and that is the 1st time the water came right in so your chances of that seem small.......however we have always seen plenty of raptors etc....so go for it:t:

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back