• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

North Sea Thread (7 Viewers)

Long-eared Owl

I received some photos yesterday of a L-E Owl photographed on the platform by someone else back in the Spring.

I've attached the best shot.

Attachments

• L-E Owl 1 resize.jpg
    L-E Owl 1 resize.jpg
    237.2 KB · Views: 143
Last week's Pink-footed Geese

Very slow today. High winds, heavy seas and dark skies seem to have pretty much killed my bird supply for now. A couple of Redwing around at dawn are the sum of today's migrants so far. Herring Gull numbers increasing gradually. Still a couple of hundred or so GBBG.

Still no Hawk Owl! What's wrong with these Hawk Owls? Don't they know I have to go home on Wednesday?

Photo of last week's P-F Geese attached.

Attachments

• Pink-footed Geese forum.jpg
    Pink-footed Geese forum.jpg
    255.5 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:
Day of the Ducks

With poor weather yesterday, it was a bit quiet. A couple of Redwing in the morning was the highlight until just before sun down. I was having a quick count of the gulls sitting in a large raft on the leeward side of the platform, when I noticed a black object on the water a little off the raft. Thought it would be the nose of a Grey Seal at first, but the Monocular revealed my first Velvet Duck. Hurried away and got a camera, then as I was taking shots, a Long-tailed Duck appeared in frame with the Scoter. You guessed it,; my first L-t Duck

My thanks to the guys on the Identification pages of these forums for the pointer on the L-t Duck.

Attachments

• Velvet Scoter.jpg
    Velvet Scoter.jpg
    374.6 KB · Views: 145
More Geese.

Lots of Redwing around this morning. Most getting whipped by the platform by the 40kn winds from the East, but a few on the Cellar Deck. Hard to photograph because the light is not good down there, but I'll try and put up a record shot later.

I also noticed a small flock of the Redwings seemingly being pursued by one of our resident Great Black-backed Gulls. A few mornings ago in the early morning half darkness, I'm sure I saw a GBBG knock a Redwing out of the air, then pounce on it in the water. Is this a known behaviour? We have several hundred gulls here at the moment, so it seems like only occasional behaviour as most ignore the flocks.

This morning, I am pleased to report that the Velvet Scoter and accompanying Long-tailed Duck are still in close attendance to the platform. I am also please to report another offshore first as 10 Barnacle Geese flew by. They briefly landed among the large raft of gulls on the leeward side, but a PA announcement seemed to startle them and they headed off again, flying low over the waves, battling into the teeth of the East wind. Not sure where they are heading, although I believe Holland gets some wintering flocks, so maybe they will turn South when they hit the Norwegian coast.

Lastly, just before lunch, I had a migration casualty reported to me. I arrived on the scene to find a sadly deceased Jack Snipe.

Bless My Barnacles.

As reported in post #70 at lunchtime, we had a passing visit from 10 Barnacle Geese. Returning from lunch down the external stairways of the platform, what do I find,but a bunch of 11 more Barnacle Geese sitting just off the platform on a turbulent North Sea. Dashing away for a camera, I managed to get a few half decent shots before the attentions of the local gulls drove the geese away, again, as their earlier kindred, heading East.

Showing the photos (see attached) to my friend who had spotted the 16-20 unidentified geese fly past (see post #50) earlier this month, he confirmed that those birds were also Barnacles.

That makes up to 41 Barnacle Geese this last few weeks, but hey, you can't have too many Barnacle Geese!

And just to top off the day, a few more Brambling arrived late in the afternoon.

Attachments

• Barnacle Geese 1 resize.jpg
    Barnacle Geese 1 resize.jpg
    504.5 KB · Views: 109
  • Barnacles flight 1 resize.jpg
    Barnacles flight 1 resize.jpg
    479.7 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
I also noticed a small flock of the Redwings seemingly being pursued by one of our resident Great Black-backed Gulls. A few mornings ago in the early morning half darkness, I'm sure I saw a GBBG knock a Redwing out of the air, then pounce on it in the water. Is this a known behaviour? We have several hundred gulls here at the moment, so it seems like only occasional behaviour as most ignore the flocks.

It is well-known in the literature. I have seen it myself, though mainly with Herring Gulls just offshore, when they were seen to actively pursue thrushes and wheatears coming in off the North Sea on the East Lothian coast during a major fall. The advantage for them then was that some birds were even more exhausted having almost completed the crossing. I didn't actually see a successful attack ever, but I 've no doubt they happened out of sight.

Redwing

Not a great shot, but best I could manage so far. These are one of our most skitterish visitors.

Attachments

• Redwing resize.jpg
    Redwing resize.jpg
    380.3 KB · Views: 104
Blackcap Sunday

Hundreds of Redwing passing by this morning, but sightings on the platform dominated by Blackcaps. A few Brambling around, a Song Thrush and half a dozen Starlings.

Spotted an Anser type goose on the water, but too far away for certain ID.

Photos attached of a couple of female Blackcaps. Do I get extra points for cuteness?

Attachments

• Blackcaps together resize.jpg
    Blackcaps together resize.jpg
    516.3 KB · Views: 115
  • Blackcaps huddled resize.jpg
    Blackcaps huddled resize.jpg
    514.5 KB · Views: 107
Photos attached of a couple of female Blackcaps. Do I get extra points for cuteness?

Oh quite definitely Paul!!!! I'd like to see you beat that one!!;)

Quiet.

Last couple of days have been very quiet. Just the odd Redwing, Blackcap and Brambling. Wind has changed to being a Southerly, so probably explains the sudden lack of migratories. The Long-tailed Duck had departed two days ago. The Velvet Scoter hung around for another day, but was gone by yesterday.

I'll be departing for three weeks tomorrow. Hoping some of those migratories will still be hanging around in Fife.

Return of the Geese

One of my colleagues has just reported being chased by an angry Barnacle Goose!

We have also had a visit from a Pink-Footed Goose. This one I managed to get on camera.

Also, a few small migratory birds turned up. I got a few glimpses of a small greenish bird, with distinct white wing bars, but not enough to ID them. I did find a Chiffchaff, but sadly, it was going no further. A few more Starlings drifting through and a report of "lots of little birds" visiting the helideck, but I missed them. The wind, what little there is, has now swung completely around and is coming from the North. Who knows what it will bring.

Attachments

• P-F G Head 2 resize.jpg
    P-F G Head 2 resize.jpg
    440.5 KB · Views: 84
  • Pink Footed Goose resize.jpg
    Pink Footed Goose resize.jpg
    513.2 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
Trip Over

Well, that is my trip over.

Only a Meadow Pipit this morning and the P-F goose had roosted overnight. The area I'd first found it in yesterday was not the safest for it, so after the photos were taken, I'd ushered it away to the edge of the deck, where it then took off through the handrail and flew away strongly. Half an hour later I received a report of a Goose at another area of the platform. I turned up to find it was the same bird. This time it had landed on a little used mezzanine, right next to a large heater. As it was safe there, and seemed to be enjoying the warmth, I let it stay. There it remained overnight and was still there at first light. Again, I decided to shepherd it off the platform, as birds that stay too long here don't get any stronger. It took off and headed South, again flying strongly. Job done I thought, but an hour later it was reported to me that there was a goose on the Skid Deck. It was back. Locating it again, I decided to just let it be. It seemed strong, healthy and happy, so it could make its own mind up when to leave. Lunchtime, it was gone from the Skid Deck, and hopefully, it hasn't just relocated on the platform, but has headed off to its Winter destination.

The bird spotting out here has been prolific over the last few weeks. I'll be back and reporting in another three weeks, just catching the back end of the migration season, so I look forward to revealing further North Sea travelers in the near future.

Nice one Gander, enjoy your time on shore, I look forward to following the thread when you return. Stunning Barnie shots by the way.

New trip

Back on duty for the next three weeks. First walk outside and there was a Goldcrest popping about. Big numbers of GBBG and Herring Gull, but I won't make my first count until tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back