• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

September Moths (2 Viewers)

04/09. 54 moths of 16 species. Nothing new. 18 Square-spot Rustic, 11 common Wainscot and 9 Setaceous Hebrew Character. Flounced Rustic and Mouse Moth singles, I've had few of either. Not getting very many Underwings of any type which seems odd.

5th September. Checked late again (8am, why did they invent alarm clocks?) Similarish to previous few days, but with different geos, may as well post up all.

53 of 8, no micros

Mullein Wave 1
Common Marbled Carpet 1
Large Yellow Underwing 12
Setaceous Heb Ch 5
Shuttle-shaped Dart 1
Sq sp Rustic 1
Small sq Spot 1
Flounced Rustic 31

The Shuttle-shaped Dart, CMCarpet and Mullein Wave were all the first for quite some while.

Ouch! Unlikely to be 4 megas as well I presume ...

(In my defence (to being a lazy so and so), I had trouble sleeping last night and was still awake at 4 - I really should have gone out and looked at the trap then tbh!)

Last edited:
Ouch! Unlikely to be 4 megas as well I presume ...

(In my defence (to being a lazy so and so), I had trouble sleeping last night and was still awake at 4 - I really should have gone out and looked at the trap then tbh!)

Two Lge YU and two S-s Rustics, chilly here at night now and the strong, breeze doesn't help at my elevated position.

Just had my problem moth from 03/09 confirmed. It was what I thought, but seemed too good to be true at the time. Heath Rustic. 2nd Herts record I think.

06/09. 64 moths of 20 species. Stopped at 00:20 as the temp dropping and moths not coming in any more. New for garden a Frosted Orange, lovely moth. nfy Old Lady. Other than them everything was very much as the last post in terms of the big number types and the nicer looking.

EJXQ4308[1].JPG
Heath Rustic. Hi Dantheman, here it is. Probably not the most inspiring moth you've ever seen for all it's rarity here.

Can see it though. Nice, and a good challenge I guess.

(Unlikely to get anything like a county rare here ... what with Cornwall including the Isles of Scilly and plenty of regular trappers in great locations)

Last edited:
Last night (6th) - 53 of 10

22 Large Yellow Underwing just beating 19 Flounced Rustic, with 2nd Snout, a fresh Common Carpet and a Large Ranunculus NFG (possibly a lifer too).

Micros - LBAM, Elbow-streaked Grass Veneer and 1 to id (Edit; I'm thinking Celypha striana?)

Stats for the last 4 nights - 53, 52, 53, 53 macros; 19, 31, 31 and then 19 Flounced Rustic (Large Yellow Underwings were 22, 10, 12, 22). Species diversity: 9, 11, 8 and then 10. But 19 species overall, with only Large Yellow Underwing, Set Heb Character, Small Square Spot and Flounced Rustic every night.

Attachments

• large r.jpg
    large r.jpg
    284.6 KB · Views: 12
  • thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
07/09. 46 moths of 16 species. Consisting of the same things that turn up most nights now, with the exception of a Tree-lichen Beauty (first this month).
I'm awaiting the Sallows for a bit of colour and newness.
Garden list now 392 (started at 52 pre-trap in April); 4 micros added from gen dets; so heading towards 400.

Weekend trapping in Surrey produced couple of Centre barred Sallows, Brindled Green, Dusky Thorn, a nice dopey Hornet and LBBYU and LYU.

Back in Hants and a Silver Y, Box Moth, Willow Beauty and lots of LYU.

Guess how many moths in the trap last night?

This question is akin to one that I once saw when I used to do quizzes....'how many footmen were there at the West door of Westmister Abbey for the marriage of Charles and Diana'......answer 'how the f *** do I know!

Couple of days catch-up:

7 Sep: Just six species produced nothing exciting, and were dominated by 15 Square-spot Rustics with 6 Large Yellow Underwings second. Temperature was nothing to write home about though.

8 Sep: A warmer night and a bigger catch with 71 individuals of 13 species. 34 were Square-spot Rustics and 17 Large Yellow Underwings. Dusky Thorn, Angle Shades, 3 Oak Hook-tips and a Rosy Rustic added to the fun: ten wasps rather detracted from it!

John

This question is akin to one that I once saw when I used to do quizzes....'how many footmen were there at the West door of Westmister Abbey for the marriage of Charles and Diana'......answer 'how the f *** do I know!

Context is important - see post #31 above. (Maybe it needed an emoticon an exclamation mark or something ... or maybe no-one reads my posts ;) )

Anyway ... 53 macro species again, for almost the fifth night in a row. :eek!:

Garden Carpet, a fresh Snout and a different Mullein Wave. Ten species in all, with 21 Large YU, 16 Flounced Rustic and a single rather long-winged Flame Shoulder.

The first taste of autumn for me here with a pristine, cryptically lovely, Black Rustic, one of my faourite moths.

Conditions remain chilly overnight here and the wind is a nuisance at the moment too so my catch remains in single figures, nightly, mostly S-s Rustic a Lge Y-U.

Last edited:
Today's moths (morning of 9/9) after a warm night: 85 of 15 species. Large Yellow Underwings dominated with 33, followed by Square-spot Rustics with 23. Also-rans included 4 Flounced Rustics, Oak Hook-tips and Vines Rustics; three each of Lesser Yellow Underwing, Light Emerald and Box Tree Moth. Interest came from a Dusky Thorn, Broad-bordered Yellow Underwing (what a stunner that is) and a sudden species reappearance from a single Shuttle-shaped Dart.

John

Last night I trapped till 11:30 then stopped as little was happening; and I’d done a 9 hour shift as a plumbers mate (my hot water cylinder leaked two nights ago and needed replacing so I assisted the plumber). I now know more about plumbing than 24 hours ago, but will no doubt have forgotten it in another 48. Again it was moderately repetitive with the same stuff as previous nights. I’ve seen enough Square-spot Rustics and Common Wainscots to last a decade. I did, nevertheless, get my first of the desired Sallows, a Centre-barred Sallow. A Brindled Green and Dusky Thorn (all three outside the trap) were the more interesting moths. I had a reappearance Shuttle-shaped Dart too. Overall, 53 of 19 species. It was warm and slightly cloudy here so I was disappointed not to see more stuff flying. Tonight looks clear and cool, so I’m not expecting a lot but will give it a go.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back