• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

September Moths (1 Viewer)

I thought last night looked promising, and I suppose it produced the goods with my biggest catch for a while - still only 72/16 though. Highlight was the first Lunar Underwing of the year. Yus still going strong with 24 Lesser and 20 large but still no Least.

Cool nights forecast for the rest of the week so I will leave it for a while now.

Steve

Finally moved on from the statistically improbable tally of catching 53 moths per night; 66 of 10 macros.

33 were Large Yellow Underwing, followed by 16 Flounced Rustic. Singles of Copper Underwing, Pale Mottled Willow, Common Marbled Carpet and a NFG Light Emerald, plus a few micros.

Four moths outside the trap were dead however - suspect harvestman/spider damage so may move potential culprits elsewhere ...

Been a fair old cold spell up here, my session on 3rd yielded nothing more remarkable than my first Common Rustic agg for a while. Last night was a sight milder, although the wind picked up more than I'd have liked. In the end though not too shabby, with Dusky Thorn, Yellow-barred Brindle, Double-striped Pug some of the notables out of 50 moths of 16 species. Top billing goes to two new species though, a trio of Centre-barred Sallows and a Rosy Rustic, the latter a lot more attractive than its field guide illustration, really pretty. Also, first time in a long time that Large Yellow Underwing was not the most numerous species, outstripped by Common Marbled Carpet by 11 to 7.

Attachments

• IMG_5647.JPG
    IMG_5647.JPG
    331.8 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_5632.JPG
    IMG_5632.JPG
    353.4 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_5600.JPG
    IMG_5600.JPG
    357 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_5614.JPG
    IMG_5614.JPG
    303.4 KB · Views: 11
Nice, not really had any 'autumn' moths here yet apart from Frosted Orange I think.

Last night, 9th, checked around 6:30am, 48 of 6 macro species.

Large Yellow Underwing 32 (9 were in the vegetation outside the trap)
Flounced Rustic 12 (2 out, and some getting quite worn now)
Snout 1 (Out)
Square Spot Rustic 1
Pinion-streaked Snout 1
Knotgrass 1

No Setaceous Hebrew Character or Small Square Spot, but excitement just about maintained by the P-sSnout and Knotgrass being the first for over 3 weeks. 1 micro.

Last edited:
10th, checked early (6:20am, too early had to go back out when lighter). 31 of 9

LYU 14
Flounced Rustic 9
Set Heb Ch 2
Shuttle-shaped Dart 1
Lesser Y Underwing 1
Sq Spot Rustic 1
Pale Mottled Willow 1 (diff to previous)
Common Marbled Carpet 1 (diff to previous)
Black Rustic 1 NFG

No micros

Another three-day catch-up - life seems just headlong at the moment, not sure why!

10/9: 85 moths of 13 species. Large YUW 16 beaten by Sq-sp Rustic 44! Flounced Rustic 7, Box Tree Moth 6, Lesser YUW 4. Best moths a nice Garden Carpet, a Shuttle-shaped Dart proving the last one wasn't a total fluke, and a Snout.

11/9: 19 years ago I was at the Mount Kenya Safari Club thinking this is going to be a long drive home, as the world changed and all the airliners were grounded. Now I'm at home thinking anywhere is going to be a long drive as all the airliners are grounded.... Anyway, moths. 70 individuals of 11 species: Large YUW 16, Sq-sp Rustic 31: Lesser YUW 7, Flounced Rustic 6, Box Tree Moth 4. September Thorn, Copper Underwing, Oak Hook-tip all nice to see.

12/9 (this morning) 99 moths of 11 species. 44 Sq-sp Rustics beat 21 Large YUW, 12 Box Tree Moths trailed in third with 7 Flounced Rustics and 6 Lesser YUW limping in behind them. Moth of the day: Centre-barred Sallow (tick!) Red-green Carpet and Yellow Shell out of the ordinary.

John

Another three-day catch-up - life seems just headlong at the moment, not sure why!

10/9: 85 moths of 13 species. Large YUW 16 beaten by Sq-sp Rustic 44! Flounced Rustic 7, Box Tree Moth 6, Lesser YUW 4. Best moths a nice Garden Carpet, a Shuttle-shaped Dart proving the last one wasn't a total fluke, and a Snout.

11/9: 19 years ago I was at the Mount Kenya Safari Club thinking this is going to be a long drive home, as the world changed and all the airliners were grounded. Now I'm at home thinking anywhere is going to be a long drive as all the airliners are grounded.... Anyway, moths. 70 individuals of 11 species: Large YUW 16, Sq-sp Rustic 31: Lesser YUW 7, Flounced Rustic 6, Box Tree Moth 4. September Thorn, Copper Underwing, Oak Hook-tip all nice to see.

12/9 (this morning) 99 moths of 11 species. 44 Sq-sp Rustics beat 21 Large YUW, 12 Box Tree Moths trailed in third with 7 Flounced Rustics and 6 Lesser YUW limping in behind them. Moth of the day: Centre-barred Sallow (tick!) Red-green Carpet and Yellow Shell out of the ordinary.

John

Today, a year ago, I was on the way home from Uganda, blissfully unaware of the events that would unfold and literally, clip our wings.

Properly autumn now, moth-wise at least, as I caught my first two Black Rustics of the year. My earliest record ever to boot. Also two Lunar Underwings, but the other autumn specials have yet to put in an appearance.

Steve

Back to summer here (well not really). Last night 11th, checked briefly at 6:10 and then properly at 7am - 46 of 7 macros (no micros)

31 Large Yellow Underwing
5 Flounced Rustic
5 Setaceous Hebrew Character
2 Brimstone
1 Large Ranunculus
1 Rosy Footman

Another breezy night up here, but relatively mild, the night producing 42 moths of 18 species. Leader in the "not seen one of those for a while" field was a Red-green Carpet, only my second record, the first being back at the end of May. Tawny Speckled Pug & Shuttle-shaped Dart both cropped up after a month's absence, Vapourer, Dusky Thorn, Sallow & Snout added to the variety, and a Frosted Orange was a welcome tick. Common Marbled Carpet and Lesser Yellow Underwing, each with 7, beat Large Yellow Underwing's 4 into third place on numbers.

Attachments

• IMG_5717.JPG
    IMG_5717.JPG
    146.8 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_5673.JPG
    IMG_5673.JPG
    157.7 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_5678.JPG
    IMG_5678.JPG
    231.4 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_5715.JPG
    IMG_5715.JPG
    319.3 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_5708.JPG
    IMG_5708.JPG
    225.1 KB · Views: 8
56 of 12 macros here, plus two micros (and another that got away).

LYU - 34
Set Heb Ch 6
Flounced Rustic 5
Sq Spot Rustic 3
Lesser LU 1
Light Emerald 1
Frosted Orange 1
Pale Mottled Willow 1
Snout 1
Large Ranunculus 1
Small Sq Spot 1
Pinion-streaked Snout 1

Blastobasis lacticolella 1 putative
Agriphila geniculea

Species diversity - not had more than 12 since 26th August. Grass fields behind the house, and not in an area of great garden diversity perhaps accounting for the lack of diversity and good numbers of Large Yellow Underwing perhaps ...

Last edited:
Nights have been clear and cool hear so the trapping has been poorer of late.
09/09 29 moths of 11 species.
11/09 63 moths of 17 species
12/09 31 moths of 13 species
Only new moth was a Rhomboid Tortrix on 11th. I'm getting the same stuff ever night pretty much with Square-spot Rustic, Common Wainscot and Setaceous Hebrew Characters in big numbers and small numbers of the others. Mothing Groundhog Day.
Checking books and websites there are a whole range of autumnal moths that should have started but I'm not getting yet. Need a cloudy warm night really

Last edited:
Some better moths on here than I am getting most nights at the moment. I should play catch up shortly but good to read the results & see the pics.

All the best

I was leading a couple of wildlife walks around Perivale Park, west London this afternoon. As I looked for dragonflies around the largest pond a small moth disturbed from the emergent vegetation but settled at the base of an isolated stem. Looking through my bins I was really surprised to see it was a Vestal. My first London/Middx record! In fact my only UK sightings have previously been on Scilly & one at Dungeness, probably more expected locations,though have seen many in southern Spain.

Earlier in the afternoon a Painted Lady turned up in my front garden-only my 5th this year, so perhaps both crossed during the last day or so.

I was leading a couple of wildlife walks around Perivale Park, west London this afternoon. As I looked for dragonflies around the largest pond a small moth disturbed from the emergent vegetation but settled at the base of an isolated stem. Looking through my bins I was really surprised to see it was a Vestal. My first London/Middx record! In fact my only UK sightings have previously been on Scilly & one at Dungeness, probably more expected locations,though have seen many in southern Spain.

Earlier in the afternoon a Painted Lady turned up in my front garden-only my 5th this year, so perhaps both crossed during the last day or so.

I've had a single record at my trap in Notts.

Paul Chapman;4059219[B said:
]Some better moths on here than I am getting most nights at the moment.[/B] I should play catch up shortly but good to read the results & see the pics.

All the best

Hallelujah it's not just me!

Averaging 6 - 8 moths per night recently, mostly Lge Y Underwing and S-s Rustics.

A much improved night last night back in rural Surrey. Large YU by far the most number with 10, 3 Lunar Underwing, 2 Light Emerald, 2 Copper Underwing (although if I knew what to look for for Svenssons...! 4 Dusky Thorn and single Centre barred Sallow and Pine Carpet.

Three traps so far this month, trying again tonight.
3/09 78 moths, 32 species. Centre-barred Sallow, Feathered Gothic, Dark Sword-grass new for year and Eudonia pallida NFG. Square-spot Rustic topped the numbers with 16 followed by Large Y/U on 10.

8/09 93 of 26. Checked the trap before bed and found an Angleshades and an enormous Silver Water Beetle outside the trap, both had gone by morning. In the trap Square-spot Rustic 19,Large Y/U 17, Setaceous H/C 12 and Centre-barred Sallow with 8 were the high counts. Pale Eggar, Broad-bordered Y/U and Red-green Carpet NFY. Pyrausta despicata NFG. My second Tawny Wave was probably the best of the catch.

11/09 54 of 17. Pale Mottled Willow, Black Rustic and Grey Pine Carpet all NFY even though a smaller catch. Large Y/U top with 13 closely followed by Square-spot Rustic and Setaceous H/C on 11 & 10. Centre-barred Sallow back down to 1.

Attachments

• P1260233.JPG
    P1260233.JPG
    231.6 KB · Views: 12
  • P1260177.JPG
    P1260177.JPG
    198.8 KB · Views: 15
  • P1260224-001.JPG
    P1260224-001.JPG
    277 KB · Views: 7
  • P1260231.JPG
    P1260231.JPG
    214.8 KB · Views: 8
  • P1260292.JPG
    P1260292.JPG
    174.7 KB · Views: 10
Down to 43 moths and 16 species last night but I was a little late out to the trap this morning and one escaped while checking he catch. Three more new for year were Frosted Orange, Brown-spot Pinion and Brindled Green. The rest were Dusky Thorn 3, Snout 2, singles of Turnip Moth, Rosy Rustic, Canary-shouldered Thorn and Bloodvein. Bulk of the catch were the usual Square-spot Rustic 12, Common Wainscot 6, Setaceous H/C 6 and Large Y/U 5. Just 2 micros, Celypha lacunana and Cochylis atricapitana.

Attachments

• P1260322.JPG
    P1260322.JPG
    142.5 KB · Views: 11
  • P1260341.JPG
    P1260341.JPG
    235.8 KB · Views: 10
  • P1260349.JPG
    P1260349.JPG
    121.9 KB · Views: 11
  • P1260351.JPG
    P1260351.JPG
    147.1 KB · Views: 10
147 of 20 here last night - obviously something suitable weather-wise - highest species diversity since mid August, and 3rd highest total since started trapping at the end of July.

Normal fare -

Large Yellow Underwing 83
Lesser Yellow Underwing 2
Set Heb Ch 21
Flounced Rustic 10
Small Sq Spot 3
Sq Spot Rustic 4
Snout 1
Rosy Rustic 1
Pale Mottled Willow 2
Brimstone 3

Recent autumn stuff -

Frosted Orange 1
Common Marbled Carpet 1
Light Emerald 4
Large Ranunculus 1

New-ish/been a while -

Dark-barred Twin-spot Carpet 2
Double-striped Pug 2
Garden Carpet 1
July Highflyer 1
L-abum Wainscot 1 NFG
Green Carpet 3 NFG

Also Light Brown Apple Moth and Blastobasis lacticolella the only micros.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back