• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Always used 10x but thinking about switching to 8x (1 Viewer)

Furthermore shaking depends a lot of the bino ! I was using a conquest 10X42 and a 10X42 kowa genesis these past days....I had a much more steadier view with the kowa (weight and size of the barrel i think); and it was obvious !

Interestingly, I recently have made the opposite switch; I originally used some higher end (B&L Elite, Swarovski EL) 10x42s, but switched to lower powers, everything from 6x to 8.5x, but after purchasing the new 10x42 Meopro HD, which have a wider FoV than some older 10x, I have found myself enjoying the increased magnification more than I remember.

I've pretty much gone back to 8x. Especially since I've found a binocular in that size that gives me a wow just about every time I use them and it has a fov of 466 ft. which is wonderful.

However often when looking through them I find myself thinking "man I wish I had this in a 10x. I found in buying a ten and getting pretty good at being steady when viewing, the only thing missing is an adequate fov. That is where I hit the wall. Anything under 400 ft fov seems while not tunnel like always, very inadequate for me. I love following butterflies and bumble bees and those tiny nervous birds. I'm not really capable of doing it very well under 400 ft.

So while I have switched back to 8x I can truly say I miss the close up of the 10x. Dang! Wouldn't it be nice to be like a hawk or a buzzard and have something like a built in bino.
An eagles visual acuity us about 20/5, or 20/4; versus a humans 20/20. That means that what a person with 20/20 could see at 20 ft the eagle sees clearly at 100 ft. They have a 340 degree field of vision compared to 180 for us.

Our technology will eventually address issue and we might have eagle vision or something like it. In the meantime we are stuck with binoculars. Which is still a wonderful thing.

I've pretty much gone back to 8x. Especially since I've found a binocular in that size that gives me a wow just about every time I use them and it has a fov of 466 ft. which is wonderful.

However often when looking through them I find myself thinking "man I wish I had this in a 10x. I found in buying a ten and getting pretty good at being steady when viewing, the only thing missing is an adequate fov. That is where I hit the wall. Anything under 400 ft fov seems while not tunnel like always, very inadequate for me. I love following butterflies and bumble bees and those tiny nervous birds. I'm not really capable of doing it very well under 400 ft.

So while I have switched back to 8x I can truly say I miss the close up of the 10x. Dang! Wouldn't it be nice to be like a hawk or a buzzard and have something like a built in bino.
An eagles visual acuity us about 20/5, or 20/4; versus a humans 20/20. That means that what a person with 20/20 could see at 20 ft the eagle sees clearly at 100 ft. They have a 340 degree field of vision compared to 180 for us.

Our technology will eventually address issue and we might have eagle vision or something like it. In the meantime we are stuck with binoculars. Which is still a wonderful thing.

Mark Zuckerberg and "his friends" are working for that......:-O

The correct answer (for every binomaniac) is of course to have both! I've found the extra magnification of 10x very worthwhile when scanning for distant targets, especially where you can brace your elbows on your knees or some convenient structure, but sometimes the extra mag isn't necessary and the wider field of view, depth of field and greater steadiness of an 8x really come into their own. Get both I say! Although if you can only justify one the 8.5x42 EL of any vintage deserves serious consideration.

Chris223,
In post #61 there seems to be a slip in
the Kowa's model name or obj. diam.

Black crow,
There are currently in 10x
very good optics with these specs. and FoVs:
10x42 6.9 deg.
Nikon Monarch-HG
10x32 6.9 deg.
Meopta MeoStar
Swarovski EL
Zeiss Victory
10x33 6.8 deg.
Kowa Genesis
10x32 6.7 deg.
Leica Ultravid
Leica Trinovid
Zeiss Conquest.

Chris223,
In post #61 there seems to be a slip in
the Kowa's model name or obj. diam.

Black crow,
There are currently in 10x
very good optics with these specs. and FoVs:
10x42 6.9 deg.
Nikon Monarch-HG
10x32 6.9 deg.
Meopta MeoStar
Swarovski EL
Zeiss Victory
10x33 6.8 deg.
Kowa Genesis
10x32 6.7 deg.
Leica Ultravid
Leica Trinovid
Zeiss Conquest.

10.5X44 ;)

The correct answer (for every binomaniac) is of course to have both!
Indeed but I can't afford that option! I've been birding in Iceland this week with my wife's 8x30s as my 10x42s are back with Swarovski at the moment and I don't think I have missed the extra power, and have definitely enjoyed the more stable view in the wind. I'm going to check out the 8.5s as possibly the best compromise.
Thanks for all the advice everyone.
Sean

Here some interesting information on Eagle Vision. An eagle can see an ant from a 10 story building. An Eagle doesn't need binoculars. They are working on a Laser Surgery that would correct our eyes to 20/10 which would be between an eagle and human eyesight.

https://www.livescience.com/18658-humans-eagle-vision.html

That's where I got my information for that post but thanks, we're on the same wave or wing length.:t:

I'm in need of a little more than just new eyes. I hope they can give me whole new reboot.

Lee, post 71,
Yes they can, since they watch the ants legs.
Gijs van Ginkel

I think I read somewhere that ants don’t like eagles watching their legs, so when they realize they are watched by an eagle, they move their legs really fast, making the eagle feel all dizzy !

I hope I remember that correctly.

Last edited:
Black Crow already mentioned Auntbirds....

And wasn't there a battle between the Greeks and the Trojans at Thamniphilidae?

I think Greeks won after a penalty shoot-out.

Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back