• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

July Moths (1 Viewer)

Trap back out last night but only 27 moths of 10 species - nothing exciting apart from 3 Elephants (always nice.)
Seven Heart and Darts continued their domination of the numbers game, two Dark Arches and a Common Footman best of the rest.

John

I got 5, still a lot of rain here but should be better tonight.

Martin
I went Heart and Club on the other thread but I'm confusing myself on Heart and Club/Turnip currently. The five attached I identified as Heart and Club with the same five in the same order head on in the next post. Am I getting all of these right?
All the best
Paul

Hi Paul

All correct - Heart & Club.

Martin

A modest haul last night, 40 of 21 species, two of them new, a Purple Clay and a couple of Pale Mottled Willow (predictably the better marked individual had a chunk of wing tip missing, presumably some bird wasn't quite quick enough). Best of the rest my second Shuttle-shaped Dart, Buff Ermine, Beautiful Hook-tip & Plain Golden Y.

Attachments

• IMG_9525.JPG
    IMG_9525.JPG
    311.3 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_9568.JPG
    IMG_9568.JPG
    293.7 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_9517.JPG
    IMG_9517.JPG
    245.1 KB · Views: 20
Pretty meagre fare on offer this morning, 4 Large Yellow Underwings, 3 Rustic/Uncertains, 2 Brimstone a Flame and a Scalloped Oak. Fortunately that last was a new garden moth, so not a complete dead loss, particularly as friends over in Chester seem to be catching quite a few of these, so I was beginning to wonder where mine was. Now I just need to get one of those Buff Arches they also seem to be doing well with.

Attachments

• IMG_9697.JPG
    IMG_9697.JPG
    223.1 KB · Views: 9
Still poor here, a meagre catch last night, 15 moths of five species, 9 of which were Rustic / Uncertain but did get my 4th record of Shark.

Amazing that I still haven't had a Large Yellow Undwerwing or Square-spot Rustic this year.

Edit: Just found this which I think is a very good candidate for Dark Dagger.

Attachments

• rsz_p7120842.jpg
    rsz_p7120842.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 13
  • P7120846.JPG
    P7120846.JPG
    95.6 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
I put my trap on last night more or less out of desperation after missing several nights for one reason or another. I knew not to expect much and I was right - just 22 moths of 13 species, with Snout and Scarce Footman NFY.

Steve

No trap last night due to an early start for Portland today: primarily a butterfly trip with Large Tortoiseshell as the main event but encounters with Hummingbird Hawk-moth and Scarlet Tiger made for an excellent supporting cast: I have a pic of something else that I may need some help with in due course.

John

First night of trapping for almost a week, I was getting withdrawal symptoms (missed Friday because of a vulture and needed sleep Saturday!) Had 133 moths of 40 species last night that are IDed. New for my garden were Epagoge grotiana (love the name), Cloaked Minor, Dusky Sallow and Scarce Footman. Dark Arches (17) are abundant along with Common Footman (24) and Garden Grass-veneers (34). A lot of things are starting to look very worn now - Willow Beauties, Heart & Darts, Light Arches, often quite tatty. Best of the rest - Coronet, 2 Elephant HMs, 2 Clay, Scalloped Oak, Chinese Character and Spectacle.
Still no Buff Ermine.

For some reason a lot of my catch were a bit flighty this morning and I lost a few including a very big Beauty that I did not recognise. Was left with 62 of 24 including a very nice pinkish Campion (NFY) and a size range from Batia lunaris to Poplar Hawk.

Steve

Trapped 10th and 12th (and 11th but one of the bulb contacts wasn't in so lights out early!) - 10th was the better night here

10th July
4 x Elephant Hawkmoth
3 x Buff Ermine
Several Common Footman and singles of Bufftip, Mottled Beauty, Peppered Moth, Coronet, August Thorn, Clay

12th July
Common Footman
3 x Elephant Hawkmoth
1 x Carpet sp which flew off when an Elephant accidentally fell on it!!!!!

Still no Buff Ermine.

Buff Ermine last night.... Fourth date this year but singles only.

24 moths of 15 species, Dun Bar and Lesser Yellow Underwing NFY.

8 Heart and Darts carried off the numbers trophy yet again. Pale Prominent, Silver Y, two Least Carpets (well I like them) and one each of Elephant and Poplar Hawk-moth rounded out the interest.

John

A herd of Elephant Hawk Moths and August Thorn (if someone would kindly confirm)

Attachments

• Elephant Hawk moths .jpg
    Elephant Hawk moths .jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 20
  • August Thorn.jpg
    August Thorn.jpg
    771.7 KB · Views: 22
Trapped 10th and 12th (and 11th but one of the bulb contacts wasn't in so lights out early!) - 10th was the better night here

10th July
4 x Elephant Hawkmoth
3 x Buff Ermine
Several Common Footman and singles of Bufftip, Mottled Beauty, Peppered Moth, Coronet, August Thorn, Clay

12th July
Common Footman
3 x Elephant Hawkmoth
1 x Carpet sp which flew off when an Elephant accidentally fell on it!!!!!

Common Footman is having an extremely good year here, I wonder if it's anything to do with unmaintained parks and verges etc? Coronet is also much commoner than usual yet, I've only just had my first Large Yellow Underwing, odd year.

I had two Shark last night which brings my total for this week to four, equalling my overall tally for the species, accumulated over sixteen years.

While I was on one of the Surrey heaths on Sunday I noticed a large hawkmoth feeding on the heathers - unfortunately couldnt get remotely near it to ID although it was an overall brown impression - any thoughts on what it could have been, it seemed to be feeding rather than looking for a somewhere to hide.

A real barnstormer of a session last night – stuff was coming in thick and fast and I stayed up to 01:30 collecting some of the choicer specimens for closer examination later, although not that much later, with an 05:00 alarm set! Pick of the bunch for me was a Buff Arches, a moth that friends over in Chester have been trapping a fair bit of late, and rather a fabulous beast, so I was very pleased one finally decided to pay me a visit. Others new for me were a Small Rivulet, Early Thorn, and what I first considered might be within variation for Riband Wave, but had confirmed on the ID sub-forum (thanks Andy) as a Clay Triple-lines. Then there was a Grey/Dark Dagger. It’s funny, but while I would be beyond frustrated, for example, to pick up an unattributable Fea’s-type Petrel on a sea-watch, or to see an Orphean Warbler sp without it being settled to either Eastern or Western, I can cheerfully add all sorts of aggs & indistinguishable species pairs to the garden moth list. Go figure. Other highlights amongst the 39 species included an immaculate Poplar Hawk, Swallow & Lesser Swallow Prominents, a Spectacle, Small Angle Shades and yet another Peach Blossom. Large Yellow Underwing ran away with the numbers, contributing 30 to the total of 93 individuals. Then while at work today Arch discovered a second Early Thorn when he took the covers of the bikes. He managed to pot it for me, and when I got home it treated us to excellent photo ops down in the grass. He also spotted what turned out to be our sixth NFG in the form of a Small Dusty Wave on the kitchen wall!

Buff Arches
Small Rivulet
Clay Triple-lines
Grey/Dark Dagger & Peach Blossom
Poplar Hawk

Attachments

• IMG_0104.JPG
    IMG_0104.JPG
    196.6 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0027.JPG
    IMG_0027.JPG
    177.6 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0139.JPG
    IMG_0139.JPG
    191.5 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0037.JPG
    IMG_0037.JPG
    327.8 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0224.JPG
    IMG_0224.JPG
    279.7 KB · Views: 16
Swallow Prominent
Lesser Swallow Prominent
Biggles!!
Early Thorn
Small Dusty wave

Attachments

• IMG_9810.JPG
    IMG_9810.JPG
    173 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_9813.JPG
    IMG_9813.JPG
    324.1 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_9892.JPG
    IMG_9892.JPG
    200.4 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0166.JPG
    IMG_0166.JPG
    215 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0194.JPG
    IMG_0194.JPG
    143.7 KB · Views: 21
My total catch for the night of the 13th was as follows

1 Shark
1 Shuttle-shaped Dart
2 Bright-line Brown-eye
3 Rustic / Uncertain

It was a little windy but ntothing that would explain such a poor haul.

A typical modest catch this morning but NFY was an Early Thorn: only the 6th I have caught in 16 years here and all have been in the period 14th-24th July. Also a pug that I am hoping might be Triple-spotted, which would be a lifer.

Steve

My total catch for the night of the 13th was as follows

1 Shark
1 Shuttle-shaped Dart
2 Bright-line Brown-eye
3 Rustic / Uncertain

It was a little windy but ntothing that would explain such a poor haul.

I can beat that Andy - 1 Bufftip, 1 Rustic/Uncertain and 1 Riband Wave!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back