• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

GPO HD 10x42 (1 Viewer)

Binastro:

With your use of squared angles (azimuth x elevation) you made it sound more complicated than it actually is. Give me any bin and I can tell you in a matter of seconds if it has a potential glare issue by simply looking at the (lower edge of) EP. Then I need to look through the bins a few extra minutes to confirm that. Determining the cause of the glare is the really complicated matter.

Peter

No one buyes a binocular these days with such a shitty FOV. it's just another weak japanese clone.

The FoV of the HD 10x42 is 6.4*, not the 7* of the SF 10x or the EII 10x35 but anyway quite competitive. Anyway, welcome to the BF, if you really exist...

Last edited:
No one buyes a binocular these days with such a shitty FOV. it's just another weak japanese clone.

Wow Bajjanamnam, you have only one opportunity to make a first appearance and so you did.

Without looking trough it and or even ever having it in your hands your conclusion is that it is just another weak japanese clone.

Welcome to Birdforum.

Could you shine your light on the weak part?

Jan

Hej Bajja

It is a long time since I was in your beautiful country visiting the national reserve of Store Mosse in Smaland.

The field of view of 112m isn't so far from for example the 115m of Zeiss Conquest so it is quite competitive.

And FOV isn't the only way to judge a pair of binos. You should try a pair before deciding what they are like.

Hej da

Lee

Yep, looks to me that building quality, decent coatings, edge and contrast performance, the company behind the product etc etc are as important as a decent FOV. IMO BTW nothing wrong with this FOV.

I'm curious what drove him to this post.

Jan

If we focus on the binocular instead of that post by bajjanamnam.

You who have tried the gpo, how does it compare against other binoculars in its pricerange, like conquest, trinovid, meostar HD, maven, even the higher priced swarovision and noctivid.
How good is the sharpness/ resolution, size of sweetspoot, brightness etc.

Last edited:
Yep, looks to me that building quality, decent coatings, edge and contrast performance, the company behind the product etc etc are as important as a decent FOV. IMO BTW nothing wrong with this FOV.

I'm curious what drove him to this post.

Jan

I'm curious too., but hardly surprised. The Tract, Maven, and now GPO threads are full of negative comments made by people who have never even held these Kamakura manufactured binoculars in their hands, much less used and tested one themselves. Nothing new here with this crowd.

I'm curious too., but hardly surprised. The Tract, Maven, and now GPO threads are full of negative comments made by people who have never even held these Kamakura manufactured binoculars in their hands, much less used and tested one themselves. Nothing new here with this crowd.

Right on JG. Its as if saying that these bins are terrific is somehow disrespecting other brands and / or models so praise of them cannot be tolerated.

Lee

Hello! Just ignore bajjanamnam.
The Passion HD is really a interesting bino, but are they made by kamakura?
Im not sure about that. Looks to much like binoculars made by light optics works,
Why is IT so secret? Maven and tract have no secrets about that kamakura make binos for them.
Im just curious.

Hello! Just ignore bajjanamnam.
The Passion HD is really a interesting bino, but are they made by kamakura?
Im not sure about that. Looks to much like binoculars made by light optics works,
Why is IT so secret? Maven and tract have no secrets about that kamakura make binos for them.
Im just curious.

It is very nice indeed to receive 3 posts from Sweden in so short a time :t:
Is there a fire in the roof? ;)

Passion HDs are made in Japan but I don't know by whom.

Lee

Sorry, i dont understand.
"Is there a fire in the roof" what does it mean?

Hi BB

I used to work for a Swedish company called Forsheda based in the small village of Forsheda just to the west of Varnamo in Smaland and from time to time I heard people say 'there is no fire in the roof' meaning that there was no emergency, no need to hurry, nothing is urgent. Perhaps this saying is only spoken in Smaland.

Hej da

Lee

Perhaps Bajjanamnan was used to using the 11th. century or earlier aspheric lenses from nearby Visby. These gave a wide field.

I have some sympathy.
Minolta Standard MK 10x 50 7.8 deg,
8x40 ( Probably 8.1x) 9.4 deg.
7x35 11.05 deg.

Swift, Hoya, Greenkat 10x50s 7.5 to 7.9 deg measured.

8.5x44 HR/5 8.26deg measured etc.

I make the 10x42 HD Conquest 6.65 deg.

Hi BB

I used to work for a Swedish company called Forsheda based in the small village of Forsheda just to the west of Varnamo in Smaland and from time to time I heard people say 'there is no fire in the roof' meaning that there was no emergency, no need to hurry, nothing is urgent. Perhaps this saying is only spoken in Smaland.

Hej da

Lee

Not quite, the Swedish saying is (if you translate it word by word) "there's no danger on the roof"
Another similar one is "There's no cow on the ice (as long as the ass is on land)." :-O

FOV for the 8x42 GPO 125m/1000m, I guess is OK for the price range.
Only sold in the US?

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back