• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What is B1.1? (1 Viewer)

The Meopta EU website (https://www.meoptasportsoptics.eu/en/rada/meostar-b1-1-226-26/) lists the B1.1 models and I only see a 7x50 (maybe it gets rid of the yellowing some people report from it?).

Meopta USA (https://www.meoptasportsoptics.com/us/rada/meostar-b1-226-26/) still lists the older B1 line.

Looking at eights, the B1.1 8x42 is still 897g (same as the B1). Wish they could have dropped some weight, like they did in the Optika line.

Also, related to that link to Optics4Birding, they list a 7x42, but that is the same language they have had since forever ago except they changed B1 to B1.1. They listed the 7x42 in the text in the B1 days even when the 7x42 was no longer available.

Marc

This gets more curious as the latest catalogue https://www.meoptasportsoptics.cz/cz/ke-stazeni-5553/
definitely lists a 7x42.

Lee

Lee I did not find a 7x42 binocular on the link you have. I have an old Meade 7x42 of which I like. I have lots of other binoculars of course.;)

Marc

This gets more curious as the latest catalogue https://www.meoptasportsoptics.cz/cz/ke-stazeni-5553/
definitely lists a 7x42.

Lee

Yes, I see what you mean. I found the 2018 catalogue and it was absent, so they intentionally added it back in to the 2019 catalog. 937g (with covers)! Well, it would be nice to see another high-end 7x42 back on the market. The Maven B2 7x45 is only 942g, and that has a 1m close focus compared to 3m on the Meopta. The FoV is 7.4* Maven vs 7.8* Meopta. Somewhat a mixed bag in its weight class. Nikon EDG/Leica UVHD/Zelss FL are all in the mid-700g. That's a big difference.

OK folks here is the explanation directly from Meopta, Czech Republic.

B1.1 7x42 will not be a regularly manufactured model and will be available for dealers to buy only on a special order that will be subject to a substantial minimum order quantity.

Lee

OK folks here is the explanation directly from Meopta, Czech Republic.

B1.1 7x42 will not be a regularly manufactured model and will be available for dealers to buy only on a special order that will be subject to a substantial minimum order quantity.

Lee

Thank you Lee, I was about to contact them to ask about it.

On special order with a substantial minimum quantity, I don't think they will get any order.

They should produce a batch (let's say 20-30) and sell them from stock and mention "limited availability" on their catalog.

To be honest, I can't understand why they made some changes on the B1, and have not mention anything on their catalog or anywhere else either.

Lee I did not find a 7x42 binocular on the link you have. I have an old Meade 7x42 of which I like. I have lots of other binoculars of course.;)

Sorry for not spotting your post earlier Steve. Go right to the back of the catalogue where the specifications are listed for all products, wade past all the rifle scopes and eventually you find the bino specs where the 7x42 is listed.

Lee

They should produce a batch (let's say 20-30) and sell them from stock and mention "limited availability" on their catalog.

To be honest, I can't understand why they made some changes on the B1, and have not mention anything on their catalog or anywhere else either.

Rob, sorry but I am not clear whether you ask why Meopta made changes to B1 or why they haven't made more clear in their marketing what those changes are.

As it happens I am on holiday and have been using B1s extensively and I welcome the news that B1.1 has a locking dioptre arrangement as the setting on mine has moved accidentally several times during the last couple of weeks. In addition, I had to use o-rings to adjust the position of the eyecups on the 7x42 due to there being only totally up or totally down positions available. To hear that there are more adjustments on B1.1 eyecups is good news.

All the brands that I have asked about the viability of 7x42 have said it is a money-losing model so I can't find it in me to criticise Meopta for deleting it from their regular line-up although I must say it is confusing to have it listed at all.

Lee

Last edited:
It's a shame Meopta isn't going to offer the 7X42 to dealers. It really is a nice binocular that holds its own with the best. It sure needed the adjustable eyecups. I have two O-rings on mine. Beyond weight, it really has no real shortcomings...

Attachments

• DSC_0128_1.jpg
    DSC_0128_1.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 134
Well, they are rather minor mechanical improvements. (There may also be a new hue for the green armor.) Not exactly advertising blitz material; 1.1 indeed, not 2.0. (I'm very curious how much more expensive it could be to have a magnesium body, and wider FOVs for the higher power models. I've long wanted to like the Meostars, and to see them give the alphas a run for their money, as that integrated focus/diopter knob suggests, but weight and FOV strike me as real shortcomings in the larger models.)

Beyond that, I've wondered for some time whether a company like Meopta even wants to get seriously into the marketing end of things on a global scale. I just read some of their model/feature descriptions on the B&H website, and they're pretty clunky. (Perhaps this is also why Kamakura likes to remain in the shadow of various rebadged "brands"?)

It's a shame Meopta isn't going to offer the 7X42 to dealers. It really is a nice binocular that holds its own with the best. It sure needed the adjustable eyecups. I have two O-rings on mine. Beyond weight, it really has no real shortcomings...

I have 2 o-rings on mine Chuck so it looks exactly like yours.

Lee

Well, they are rather minor mechanical improvements. (There may also be a new hue for the green armor.) Not exactly advertising blitz material; 1.1 indeed, not 2.0. (I'm very curious how much more expensive it could be to have a magnesium body, and wider FOVs for the higher power models. I've long wanted to like the Meostars, and to see them give the alphas a run for their money, as that integrated focus/diopter knob suggests, but weight and FOV strike me as real shortcomings in the larger models.)

I have no inside information on this but it seems to me that these modest improvements to B1 leave room for a B2 range that will be more competitive and would put Meopta in a similar situation as Swarovski with B1.1 playing the SLC role and B2 acting as EL.

Lee

I have no inside information on this but it seems to me that these modest improvements to B1 leave room for a B2 range that will be more competitive and would put Meopta in a similar situation as Swarovski with B1.1 playing the SLC role and B2 acting as EL.
Sounds good to me! Then again, everyone points out that the high end of the bino market is much smaller volume, so maybe Meopta is right to have just introduced a third range that's even cheaper than Meopro, instead of a B2. What I really want to see is how close one can come to the alphas without the alpha price, and if anyone could do that it would be Meopta. Whether it would actually work in the marketplace, I don't know.

This Meopta discussion leaves me confused. I do know the Meostar models are good, but not
great. The 10x50 model I had left much to be desired.

I do now have a Meostar 12x50 HD, and this binocular is very good. I have posted on the site before
on how I like this binocular.

The B.1 or whatever is confusing, it seems both Meopta and most discussing don't really don't know
what they are talking about.

Jerry

Jerry
The full name of the MeoStar binos that have been on the market for something like 15 years was MeoStar B1. Most folks ignored the B1 and simply referred to them as MeoStar.

This range of binos has been updated with a lockable diopter adjuster and some other changes and while it is still called MeoStar, they are called MeoStar B1.1 to indicate they are a step forward from B1.

For some years there has been rumours of a replacement for B1 binos called, unsurprisingly, B2, but these have not been officially confirmed by Meopta. So many folks were expecting MeoStar B2s as the next step from Meopta and were surprised by B1.1.

Lee

Last edited:
Jerry
The full name of the MeoStar binos that have been on the market for something like 15 years was MeoStar B1. Most folks ignored the B1 and simply referred to them as MeoStar.

This range of binos has been updated with a lockable diopter adjuster and some other changes and while it is still called MeoStar, they are called MeoStar B1.1 to indicate they are a step forward from B1.

For some years there has been rumours of a replacement for B1 binos called, unsurprisingly, B2, but these have not been officially confirmed by Meopta. So many folks were expecting MeoStar B2s as the next step from Meopta and were surprised by B1.1.

Lee

Lee:

I am only familiar with the original Meostar models, and the Meostar HD model.

So tell us how these numbers correspond.

Jerry

Jerry

Lee

Lee:

I am only familiar with the original Meostar models, and the Meostar HD model.

So tell us how these numbers correspond.

Jerry

Hi Jerry

With respect, my earlier post, quoted by you and also by me here, did just that, although I left out the HD models as an unnecessary complication.

Some HD models were marketed by Meopta and some by Cabelas but these were all B1 models albeit with some HD glass.

So, to repeat myself, the binos that everyone has just called MeoStars for years were always really called MeoStar B1.

The new B1.1s have upgrades such as a locking dioptre and multi-position eyecups instead of just fully-up or fully-down. I guess they are called B1.1 because they are a simple step forward from B1.

Unfortunately Meopta are on their summer shut-down right now so are not available for further comment, but Bird Fair is approaching fast now and we should learn more then.

Lee

Twist out eyecups?

Hello,

Does anyone know if the new model Meostar B1.1's multi-position eyecups screw all the way out (and off) for cleaning? Thanks.

Bob

Just had this confirmed by Avisum, Meopta's UK distributor: the eyecups do unscrew and a 2x booster fitted.

Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back