• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sandwell Valley (2 Viewers)

Year lists as of 4/8/18

overall Valley year list on 137.

White Wagtail, Greenland Wheatear not included in totals

Matt and Mel add Crossbill and Dave Waite adds Hobby and Linnet

Dave Saunders -122 Mediterranean Gull
Pete Hackett -113 Turnstone
John Clarke -111 Hobby
Matt Hadlington -108 Crossbill
Rob Preston - 106 Green Sandpiper
Mel Jones -105 Crossbill
Mike Ixer -103 Sedge Warbler
Craig Reed -101 Mediterranean Gull
Wali Taylor -100 Mediterranean Gull
Hughie King-99 Turnstone
Dave Waite- 97 Linnet
Terry Parker -92 Reed Warbler
Steve Lilly -90 Turnstone
Carl Seabode -88 Sedge Warbler
Adrian Kirton -81 Buzzard
Richard Eyers - 76 Turnstone
Tony Johnson -74 Lesser Whitethroat
Pete Carless -65 Common Gull

Good Birding YAMYAM

ref :- Petes funeral I've been asked to pass on a request regarding attire from his family they would like it to be a casual affair no black or ties, Pete's favourite colour was Blue and no flowers donations to the RSPB.
Thanks Dave

I thought this was interesting

John Shrimpton, President of Sandwell Naturalists, has a lifelong connection with the Sandwell Valley. In the 1960s he was a key part of the campaign to save the Nature Reserve from development.

This is edited from an interview with him about his memories of the area and his involvement in 'Sandnats', a group formed to preserve and protect the wildlife of the area.
He [my father] used to take me walking down the Valley. We'd hear a sound 'crrrkk, crrrrkk' and my father would say 'listen to that' and he would say, 'that's the corncrakes in the hay meadows'. We'd see birds flying, white wings, a flock of them and they called 'peeeewit, peeeewit' and my Dad would say 'those are the peewits'. We call them Lapwings today, but they make that sound.

He was also a keen gardener and he loved the countryside and he was a very knowledgeable.

I used to get frogs and tadpoles and frogspawn and bring them back, and I'd got my old tin bath that they used to bath me in as a baby, in the garden full of all pond life! My father built out of some old seed boxes, an enclosure and I put all these little frogs in the enclosure, but of course they got out, didn't they?

We used to go and we used to collect caterpillars, we used to collect Woolly Bear caterpillars and my father made me an elaborate box with windows in it, perspex windows, and I used to put the caterpillars in and feed them on dock leaves and privet and then they would turn into chrysalises and after a time they'd emerge as Tiger Moths, beautiful Tiger Moths, and I used to let those out in the front room. They were all over my mother's curtains and driving my mother mad!
During the war, of course there were Barrage Balloons, the Air Force was down Sandwell Park as it was then, by Park Farm, and we kids, when the war broke out, our parents bought us tin helmets and toy machine guns and we formed our own Battalion and we marched off down Sandwell Park, which was out of bounds. We were trespassing, but we didn't bother about that, we'd got a war to win! And surprise, surprise, we found some trenches down there, so we went in the trenches, we shot Hitler a few times!

We had a dog with us, Nobby, a Staffordshire Bull Terrier, he was our guardian and we could do anything with him, and then when we felt hungry we came home to have our dinners.

And my Grandpa Dyer, I was telling him that we discovered this trench. 'Ooh' he says, 'we dug those trenches out in the 1914-18 War!' he says 'when I was in the volunteers'. That was the forerunner of the Home Guard. And he said 'we used to go down there for rifle practice'. He says 'you know one day, one of our blokes, he shot a cow. Ooh' he says, 'there was a terrible row!' He says, 'and the farmer, we feared him more than the Kaiser!' He says 'we had to compensate him!'
John has meticulously recorded the wildlife he has observed in Sandwell Valley in photo albums
After the war, by the 1950s, things were getting a bit run down. The Earl of Dartmouth sold out to the Council and the Council decided to drain the pool (Sots Hole), which was a great shame. It broke the bank. And in those days there was no such things as conservation and they decided 'ooh, this Sots Hole, let's turn it into a tip'. So they turned it into a municipal tip and they started tipping rubbish down there. Well, we couldn't do much about it really. I'd been in the Forces, I'd been away and we had an allotment which came down to Church Vale and Sots Hole was just the other side of the road. There were some older houses along Church Vale and they backed onto Sots Hole. Well they knocked those down and they built some new houses and the people started complaining because they were getting rats, you see, from this tip. Anyway, then they decided to take the allotments off us and build some flats. Well, the people round here were up in arms about these flats. We weren't pleased at all because we'd lost our allotment, although they did give us an alternative one down Beeches Road.

They had a Court of Enquiry and I went to the Court of Enquiry and there was a Government Representative there, you know, an Adjudicator and the Council Representative said 'if we build these flats, we want to build these flats on this land.' He said that 'what we'll do, we'll stop tipping and we'll turn Sots Hole into a Bournemouth Chine' - that's the name for a wooded valley. So, anyway, they were granted permission via the Adjudicator that the flats would go ahead and we hoped that the Council would stop tipping. What they did, they stopped tipping and they did grass the tip over and they turned it back to a bluebell wood and they never built the flats!

Well, that was only the start because a bit later on, they decided to declare the whole area as the Sandwell Valley and they appointed a Warden to look after the Valley.
And then I heard, oh, they've built a school at the back of Sots Hollow, a primary school, and this was to serve a housing estate and they proposed to build a housing estate which would have stretched from Dagger Lane, from Church Vale, Dagger Lane, right down to Swan Pool, all down Wasson. Completely ruining the Sandwell Valley that they had just created! And I felt that I'd got to do something about this and I was the Secretary of the West Bromwich Ramblers, which I'd helped to form with a friend. I said 'what we'll do, we'll write a letter to the local papers', so I composed the letter and the Ramblers' Committee helped me and they touched it up, you know. Anyway, I wrote this letter stating that this was a green belt area which served a very large conurbation, built up conurbation, and we needed an area like that as a lung for the people, for the good of the people as well as the wildlife. Basically that was the gist of the letter you see. I sent it off to the press and I sent copies to all the MPs roundabout and a copy to the Mayor of West Bromwich as it was then.

And anyway, it caused an uproar, virtually. Not only was it printed in the local press, the West Bromwich Chronicle, but it was printed and it became headline news in the Express and Star and the Birmingham Mail! And I had letters from all the MPs pledging their support! They debated it in the Council Chamber and they threw it out.

We formed this group. Well, nearly all of us were Naturalists and interested in developing the wildlife and preserving the wildlife, which was wonderful down there. We'd got such a rich environment. So we formed the group but not as Friends of the Sandwell Valley, as 'Sandwell Valley Field Naturalists

From the hide

Shoveler C5
Teal c6
Lapwing c39
Gadwall c7
Swift c20+
Swallow c10+
Pochard x3
Great Crested Grebe c3
Cormorant x10
Oystercatcher
Buzzard
Snipe

Good Birding YAMYAM

From the hide 10:00- 13:00

Swift steady passage c100+
Swallow c30+
Lapwing c35
Common Sandpiper x2
Teal c8
Cormorant c9
Shoveler c10
Pochard x4
Gadwall c17
Ring Necked Parakeet x3
House Martin c15
Starling c50
Stock Dove x2
Reed Warbler
Oystercatcher
Buzzard x2
Kingfisher
Sand Martin c2
Good Birding YAMYAM

Salters Lane
Still 10+ Swallow around Stables, Linnet, Goldfinch several family parties, Blackcap, House Sparrow c12 and possible Hobby seen very briefly
Good Birding YAMYAM

League Table 11/08/18

Carl adds Black Tailed Godwit to his list

01. Pete Hackett 211 Glaucous Gull
02. Dave Saunders 210 Great White Egret
03. Tim Hextell 202 Red Throated Diver
04. Matt Hadlington 194 Hawfinch
05. Mel Jones 187 Hawfinch
06. Pete Forbes 180 Little Egret
07. Hughie King 178 Wood Sandpiper
08. Dave Waite 173 Red Kite
09. Simon Edwards 172 Ruff
10. Terry Parker 171 Common Scoter
11. John Clarke 170 Turnstone
12. Steve Lilly 161 Turnstone
13. Pete Carless 159 Black Redstart
14. Tracy Saunders 156 Ring Necked Parakeet,
15. Mike Ixer 151 Cuckoo
16. Steve Roper 143 Hawfinch
17. Richard Eyres 132 Turnstone
18. Craig Reed 126 Turnstone
19. Bob Slater 125 Great Northern Diver
20. Carl seabode 122 Black Tailed Godwit
21. Andy Thomas 119 Brambling
22. Richard Davis 117 Firecrest
23. Matt Gibbs 112 Green Sandpiper
24. Jason Davis 112 Wood Sandpiper
25. Wali Taylor 103 Turnstone
26. Kev Wardlaw 96 Turnstone

Just heard planning application for 1500 homes near Barr Beacon. Load farmland going. Good for Yellowhammer, Skylark, Linnet etc. Where will it all end?
Good Birding YAMYAM

Year lists as of 11/8/18

overall Valley year list on 137.

White Wagtail, Greenland Wheatear not included in Totals

Terry added Green Sandpiper and Carl added Black Tailed Godwit

Dave Saunders -122 Mediterranean Gull
Pete Hackett -113 Turnstone
John Clarke -111 Hobby
Matt Hadlington -108 Crossbill
Rob Preston - 106 Green Sandpiper
Mel Jones -105 Crossbill
Mike Ixer -103 Sedge Warbler
Craig Reed -101 Mediterranean Gull
Wali Taylor -100 Mediterranean Gull
Hughie King-99 Turnstone
Dave Waite- 97 Linnet
Terry Parker -93 Green Sandpiper
Steve Lilly -90 Turnstone
Carl Seabode -89 Black Tailed Godwit
Adrian Kirton -81 Buzzard
Richard Eyers - 76 Turnstone
Tony Johnson -74 Lesser Whitethroat
Pete Carless -65 Common Gull
Good Birding YAMYAM

League Table 12/08/18

Dave Jackson joins our league table

01. Pete Hackett 211 Glaucous Gull
02. Dave Saunders 210 Great White Egret
03. Tim Hextell 202 Red Throated Diver
04. Matt Hadlington 194 Hawfinch
05. Mel Jones 187 Hawfinch
06. Pete Forbes 180 Little Egret
07. Hughie King 178 Wood Sandpiper
08. Dave Waite 173 Red Kite
09. Simon Edwards 172 Ruff
10. Dave Jackson 172 White Fronted Geese
11. Terry Parker 171 Common Scoter
12. John Clarke 170 Turnstone
13. Steve Lilly 161 Turnstone
14. Pete Carless 159 Black Redstart
15. Tracy Saunders 156 Ring Necked Parakeet,
16. Mike Ixer 151 Cuckoo
17. Steve Roper 143 Hawfinch
18. Richard Eyres 132 Turnstone
19. Craig Reed 126 Turnstone
20. Bob Slater 125 Great Northern Diver
21. Carl seabode 122 Black Tailed Godwit
22. Andy Thomas 119 Brambling
23. Richard Davis 117 Firecrest
24. Matt Gibbs 112 Green Sandpiper
25. Jason Davis 112 Wood Sandpiper
26. Wali Taylor 103 Turnstone
27. Kev Wardlaw 96 Turnstone

Good Birding YAMYAM

Pete Carless
we gave Pete a great send off today with eighty people in attendance Pete would have been well chuffed

Attachments

• IMG_20180715_101055.jpg
    IMG_20180715_101055.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 11

Users who are viewing this thread

Back