• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Colleen's gone Coastal, Oregon USA (3 Viewers)

colleenc

Its been 3 months since I packed up and moved to start my dream adventure of getting and RV and painting by the sea for the next two years. Wont go into all the ways it twisted and turned you can read some of it on my blog Brush with the Sea there is not a way post the first page of field work I've done in nearly a year, a small page of tuffed puffins, in the non breeding little brown muffin stage. I don't have wifi except on my ipag and BF no longer supports a mobile device format for the US.

But wanted to say hi, I'm back, and I still look in here often and drool over the wonderful work posted. IF BF decides to support this side of the pond I'll post what I'm doing here as well as my blog

I'm happy with all the time off I still did some good sketches in the 20 min I had between rainstorms here. My excellcent adventure is really starting now. Within 5 min of where I have my travel trailer, there is a harbor full of active fishing fleets, a world class aquarium, a famous lighthouse the first one built on the west coast. huge winter surf, flat long accessible beaches and lots of rocky coves....not as many birds as Bodega Bay, but still plenty. The puffins are free in a huge netted aviary, and raise young there, its great to get so close even if they are kinda dull plumage right now.

Its been 3 months since I packed up and moved to start my dream adventure of getting and RV and painting by the sea for the next two years. Wont go into all the ways it twisted and turned you can read some of it on my blog Brush with the Sea there is not a way post the first page of field work I've done in nearly a year, a small page of tuffed puffins, in the non breeding little brown muffin stage. I don't have wifi except on my ipag and BF no longer supports a mobile device format for the US.

But wanted to say hi, I'm back, and I still look in here often and drool over the wonderful work posted. IF BF decides to support this side of the pond I'll post what I'm doing here as well as my blog

I'm happy with all the time off I still did some good sketches in the 20 min I had between rainstorms here. My excellcent adventure is really starting now. Within 5 min of where I have my travel trailer, there is a harbor full of active fishing fleets, a world class aquarium, a famous lighthouse the first one built on the west coast. huge winter surf, flat long accessible beaches and lots of rocky coves....not as many birds as Bodega Bay, but still plenty. The puffins are free in a huge netted aviary, and raise young there, its great to get so close even if they are kinda dull plumage right now.

Hi Colleen,

A hearty welcome back! Not been able to coneect to your blog via the link you posted for some reason, just by way of letting you know..

Try this link.

(I think Colleen just missed the : in the link |;|)

Nice blog Colleen! Our family are fellow campers/travellers when we have a chance, so I love hearing the RV stories.

We are aware of some technical difficulties with the BF app at the moment.
However, BF should be fine via tapatalk app.
cheers,
Andy

glad to see you're back, just subscribed to your blog, looking forward to following your adventure.

Terrific - cheers Andy. No excuse now Colleen - BF is your canvas, paint on it ;)

Sorry could not make that work either....best I might do is to find a library and try posting from there, mabye next week. I'm still trying to get up and running in the RV which is a rather huge change So many little things to learn, like when you refill the bottle and manage to lift it into place ( about 40# and the rack is rather high) You need to turn it back on to work, or the moriining I woke up and turned on the water to have brown stuff and a lot of air and noise...not the water pump, but the park had turned off the water, to work on the system and not told us. By this time next week hope to be settled and find a way to be back in the group again. Looking at all your beautiful works on the iphone is better than nothing, but just barely. I have an Ipad and when I find a wireless place to go I can see it on there

I'm trying to figure out some way to stay part of this group that means so much to me. BF is not mobile friendly and tho tapatalk lets me view it easier it still won't let me post with pics. So I'm trying something quite convoluted to at least occasionally be able to post my current work as your comments are important to me.

first I photo and bring it into my main computer, then put in PS and crop, move it to Iphoto so I can sync to my iphone, then I've asked my very busy sister to occasionally post for me from her main computer....When I get more oriented here I'm hunting for a library and maybe I can do it all with a flash

Where I now live I'm only 5 min from the Oregon Coast Aquarium a world class place that has a huge aviary with tufted puffins, pigeon guillomonts, common murres and 2 black oystercatchers. The birds nest and raise young and I can get within a few feet to draw. I know, kind of cheating, but I'll take it as my knees are not up to long hard walks yet.

These are my first puffin sketches, the color one is gouache and the murre is charcoal pencil, graphite and white colored pencil Even if I don't post much I follow the forum nearly every day and constantly work to improve spurred on by the inspiring work posted here

Attachments

• colleens oregon sketches.JPG
    colleens oregon sketches.JPG
    92.2 KB · Views: 147
love the guillemot Colleen...and fascinated by your RV lifestyle - I've considered doing that myself...keep wondering if it's possible to live and travel that way in the UK?? I'd love to do that...

Your seascapes are lovely...I live just up the coast so they remind me of home...

Hope to see more of your work posted here...

I think everyone should have at least one grand adventure - perhaps one for each decade - heck why not one each year!

Enjoy yours!!! and keep us posted :)

My apologies for not commenting here Colleen, I've been following your big adventure on the blog and I'll bet there's going to be a whole raft of delights coming from your experience. I love your seascapes as it is but, with you adding to your knowledge as you travel, I can't wait to see what comes next!

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back