• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Jess Blackstone - warbler wood carving (1 Viewer)

A2GG

Beth
United States
Hi,

I purchased this hand-carved Black-throated Green Warbler recently at a consignment shop for $5. It turns out is the work of the late Jess Blackstone (American) who was a master wood carver (birds).

Ordinarily, this piece would be valued at approx. $600, however the bill looks to be replaced. It does not look like the typically accurate warbler bill as represented on the artist's other warbler pieces, but instead the bill of a Sparrow perhaps. The pic does not show the other side where you can see the botched work. I looked through a magnifying glass and can see the poor work and where the original bill broke off and the sparrow-sized bill replaced.

I would like to have it repaired by a good wood carver. I emailed nj wood carvers org. and got a bounce back email.

Does anyone know of a good artist who could repair this for me? If at a reasonable cost , I'd like to keep this adorable little warbler as a keepsake.
I live in New Jersey, US.

thanks in advance,

Beth

Attachments

• JB wood warbler 2.jpg
    JB wood warbler 2.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 133
  • JB wood warbler.jpg
    JB wood warbler.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 106
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back