• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Joint Thread (1 Viewer)

Thankyou Alan. I liked your picture at the beginning of the thread.

This little fellow I nearly trod on this morning, before he was off.

Juv. Ringed Plover

Attachments

• RP1.jpg
    RP1.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 273
  • RP2.jpg
    RP2.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 284
Hi all,

Finally plucked up the courage to show one of mine. Don't be too hard on me.

Phil.

Attachments

• jn0n0003-3.jpg
    jn0n0003-3.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 337
Arthur, love the little bundles of fluff, the ringie chick raised a broad smile. What a little character.

Phil, great to have another artist on board. I love the colour and your style of painting, it's a very vibrant piece and it sings summer. If I may suggest, the piece could be improved by making the background recede a bit more by making it paler or colder, also compositionally, there is some redundant space on the left. Of course, this is just my opinion. The vibrancy of the colour is a great success, giving a feel of being slapped in the face by the sun and the heat. Hope you'll post some more soon!

Phil now you have taken the step looking forward to seeing a lot more,

Nick the little ball of fluff made me laugh ,he couldn't run in a straight line.

I've been chasing Dickcissel reports around the province for a couple of years now, so I was quite happy to finally pin down one of these handsome birds on my way up north on Friday (at the exact same location I'd searched for him last year, a day too late!). While relaxing bayside this weekend, we were frequently visited by a rather tame female Mallard and her brood of six looking for handouts. After some bread, the family clambered up on shore beside me and cuddled up together for an afternoon nap. I pride myself on being a bit of a tomboy, but baby ducks involuntarily bring out my girly side. ;)

After a rather bad job interview this afternoon, I needed some cheering up, so I went out looking for easy subjects. Last week I'd caught wind of a tern colony not far from LaSalle Marina (one of my favourite winter hangouts), so down to Burlington it was.

Attachments

• sketchbook 2007-06-08.jpg
    0 bytes · Views: 2,101
  • sketchbook 2007-06-09.jpg
    0 bytes · Views: 2,026
  • sketchbook 2007-06-11.jpg
    0 bytes · Views: 2,050
Don't think the attachments made it ...

Attachments

• sketchbook 2007-06-08.jpg
    sketchbook 2007-06-08.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 171
  • sketchbook 2007-06-09.jpg
    sketchbook 2007-06-09.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 149
  • sketchbook 2007-06-11.jpg
    sketchbook 2007-06-11.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 155
These are quite simply lovely, very reminiscent of Ennion. There is great intimacy with the ducklings. Great stuff.

I just love these combined sheets of fieldwork - really top class stuff. I hadn't made the Ennion connection before, Nick - but you're spot on (and that must be a compliment coming from two folk who based Uni dissertations on the great man!). The design of the pages, strength, yet subtlety of the drawings and that dab of colour highlight - truly masterful. Great stuff. (When are ya getting the website finished!!!?)

Absolutely terrific, again! I must agree with Nick and Tim about the Ennion connection, I can also see a touch of the Ried-Henrys. Whatever! They are fabulous drawings.

Woody

Given the talents on this thread perhaps some guidance could be given to others, esp in respect to field sketches.

Whlst I do have some talent with a pencil, I always tend to start any sketch with the usual 2 ovals - 1 for the head and 1 for the body - and then add the extra details. However I do find this lends itself to quite 2-dimensinal images though - and usually side on. And open beaks, correct eye alignment/size are always real challenges to me.

Does anyone have any other tips on field sketching, starting points, angles etc etc?

(and that must be a compliment coming from two folk who based Uni dissertations on the great man!).

Uni dissertations on the doctor?? Now that is interesting..maybe you could help me in my quest for a personal holy grail...whereabouts of the original of the feeding Spotted Redshank painting which forms the centre spread in Living Birds of Eric Ennion. It being by miles the finest bird painting done by anyone anywhere ever, I have long been curious as to its whereabouts (or for that mater the whereabouts of a copy of the poster/print which was made from it). There is a finders fee on offer..

All I know is that it was first done as poster for the RSPB (late 60s or early 70s?) and I believe they had the original at Sandy.

Last edited:
Hi Ed - if RSPB at Sandy don't have it (and I know they have a huge amount of original Ennion and Tunnicliffes down there - remember Charlie did all the 'Birds' covers starting from the mid 50s for about 28 years or so . .. .) - I remember seeing some of the Doctor's work framed and on the office walls, but maybe they've been relocated to a more suitable site. I think Rob Hulme would know, if you can get a hold of him.
The diving shanks are sublime, though, aren't they - and the one (which Busby notes in his commentary) trailing a toe across the water surface. Superb.
So Jomo, you can see how good your stuff looks!

Its just lovely work Jomo.

Its all super, the coloured paper adds to it too.

Do the world a favour and get out there more often...
..its about as nice a rendition of a days birding as you could ever hope to see and that carries itself off the pages.

I'll take any comparison to Dr. Ennion as a compliment of the highest order!

Allen, I think some postures are easier to 'make work' than others. Of course, most birds rarely stay still, so this doesn't help things! I usually watch for angles that accentuate the underlying structure, such as a turn of the head that shows the 'pinch' of the skull where the eyes sit (makes for less guesswork when trying to fill in the details around what little I've captured). Markings can also help in determining where to position things (check out some of Barry Van Dusen's field work -- the guy's a master at suggesting shape and form just by the simple deformation of markings due to the angle and posture of the bird).

Of course, having said all that, I'm also too frequently guilty of flat side-view birds. They're easy! But I'll admit that they're never the sketches that I'm most pleased with.

Whlst I do have some talent with a pencil, I always tend to start any sketch with the usual 2 ovals - 1 for the head and 1 for the body - and then add the extra details. However I do find this lends itself to quite 2-dimensinal images though - and usually side on. And open beaks, correct eye alignment/size are always real challenges to me.

Does anyone have any other tips on field sketching, starting points, angles etc etc?

I know what you mean about the 2 ovals. So what I try and do- and more importantly what I see in sketches by others that I admire on here and elsewhere- is to make sure that the first few lines are what you see and not based on a template, mental or otherwise. Then once you have some interesting lines on the page, you can use the 2 ovals etc. to check whether what you have done is basically sane, maybe pull in the wild initial lines a bit, but not lose them...

Take the outline of a wader. For belly-to-undertail, you can draw a gentle curve based on an oval or some other mental template and it will look basically fine. But a bit disappointing. So the trick if you can do it is not to start there- if in reality you see ball of fluff (puffed up stint) or a keeled wedge (a Terek sand..), draw that line from chin to tail first and worry about wrapping it round an oval later.

I'm not suggesting it is easy or that I have mastered it- but that's my tip of the day: put in a couple of strong lines first thing, so that everything doesn't turn out too normal. (Probably also Pete Doherty's motto.)

Father's Day Mini-Break!!!

Was allowed a three hour respite from the kids today - decided to re-visit a few birds I have encountered during my 'day job' and enjoy them at a slightly more leisurely pace - birds include; oystercatcher, summer sanderlings, ringed plover, arctic terns, ads., juvs. and chicks and bits of a common gull.

Attachments

• dad's1.jpg
    dad's1.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 153
  • dads2.jpg
    dads2.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 142
  • dads3.jpg
    dads3.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 133
  • dads4.jpg
    dads4.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 150
. . . and this accommodating ringed plover . . .

. . . behaved itself for fifteen minutes or so . . .

Attachments

• dads5.jpg
    dads5.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 141
  • dads6.jpg
    dads6.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 137
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back