• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Your most anticipated futures books (1 Viewer)

Another interesting book is on the horizon and due to be published in August - Restoring the Wild: 60 Years of Rewilding our Skies, Woods and Waterways by Roy Dennis. Should be worth a read.

Nice! Good for an overview for a dreamer that never will make it around the world but still wants to dwell in the world's ornithological beauty :)

More affordable and concise? Will probably serve another market/audience, like me. I can't and won't spend a small fortune on books that give me too much info I'll never use. An overview like this to leave through suits me fine.

More affordable and concise? Will probably serve another market/audience, like me. I can't and won't spend a small fortune on books that give me too much info I'll never use. An overview like this to leave through suits me fine.

Completely agree! As much as I wanted to get the two-volume set, I just couldn't justify the price tag as for the same money I could get 7-10 other books that just would be more useful/valuable for me (mainly different insect books). But I do still want something like that on my bookshelf - just to see on paper all different birds species that I will never ever get to see in my life :-O So this single-volume, concise edition for that price is a no-brainer for me. I believe this book will definitely have wider audience - especially among non-birders and just casual nature lovers who just do not need all that extra information that is presented in two-volumes.

Completely agree! As much as I wanted to get the two-volume set, I just couldn't justify the price tag as for the same money I could get 7-10 other books that just would be more useful/valuable for me (mainly different insect books). But I do still want something like that on my bookshelf - just to see on paper all different birds species that I will never ever get to see in my life :-O So this single-volume, concise edition for that price is a no-brainer for me. I believe this book will definitely have wider audience - especially among non-birders and just casual nature lovers who just do not need all that extra information that is presented in two-volumes.
Agree completely. I even have the HBW full set, and am still looking forward to this single volume to leaf through.

Price, as mentioned, is €65, but add €10 postage (or more if you want it quicker / better tracked).

Keith

Last edited:
Just published and just ordered

Palace of Palms by Kate Teltscher

a new book on the Kew Botanical Gardens and the world famous palm house

Well...looking at the taxonomy in Oceanic Birds of the World just makes me more and more intrigued by the long in development Howell guide to Birds of North America.

I mean seriously, that book has become the "Winds of Winter" of the field guide world.

Agree completely. I even have the HBW full set, and am still looking forward to this single volume to leaf through.

Price, as mentioned, is €65, but add €10 postage (or more if you want it quicker / better tracked).

Keith

I wonder if it is worth it. Shipping to the US still makes it fairly expensive.

I feel like it will be outdated as complete book in no time.

My copy of the latest New Naturalist, "Uplands and Birds" by Ian Newton arrived a few days ago and very nice it looks too.

I've read the first couple of chapters and am pleased that the book seems to be living up to its title of "Uplands and Birds" rather than simply being a book about birds of the uplands.

Last edited:
On a related note I see the New Naturalist "Cormorants and Shags" volume is disappearing ever further into the future. Now expected March 2022. I hope that's not a sign that it's going to be cancelled. Cormorants and Shags are some of my favourite birds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back