• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dialyt 8X20 (1 Viewer)

dries1

Had these out the other day for some fun, for their age still a great travel glass for your pocket. I need to get the eye-cups replaced, but it is easier to use than the Nikon LXL 8X20 whose eye-cups I am convinced were made for squirrels.

Andy W.

Attachments

• DSCF5465.jpg
    DSCF5465.jpg
    297.1 KB · Views: 201
  • DSCF5466.jpg
    DSCF5466.jpg
    282.6 KB · Views: 155
James, did the non p version have the same body style, and where can I find the specs for the glass, could not find on the net.

Andy W.

Hello Andy,

It looks like a scaled down Dialyt 8x30, so classic, so cool.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :hi:

This is a bit off topic, but does anyone have the similar 8x30 Dialyt, P coated ?

And how does that one perform ?

Jerry

James, did the non p version have the same body style, and where can I find the specs for the glass, could not find on the net.

Andy W.

Yep, looked identical apart from the P on the focus. Specs I think are the same for both bins apart from phase coating. View in the P brighter, sharper, better contrast, just much more pleasant to use.

This is a bit off topic, but does anyone have the similar 8x30 Dialyt, P coated ?

And how does that one perform ?

Jerry

Yes, I have a mint, late-run 8x30 BGAT/P and it is optically excellent, as sharp as anything I own with neutral colours, nice contrast and low CA. Just lacks good stray light control, although that seems pretty common even in contemporary alphas....

Mine is mostly for the collection but I would field-use it more if focus was faster and closer. Fantastic build and look though. One that nestles in my hand when watching TV...lol.

Pretty sure Arthur has / had this model as well.

Last edited:
Arthur, it is a fun glass for the pocket when I don't want to be obvious.

James, the specs for the dialyt, where can they be found ? The 8X30 was a classic, not many in good shape on the used market anymore.

Andy W.

Hello Jerry,

I have an 8x30 BGATP Classic anniversary model, and agree with James. I would add that the focussing arrangement is odd compared to other binoculars. I confuse the functions of the two focussing wheels.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur

Hello,

I had this same 8x20 Dialyt *P for 5 years. To me, at least my sample, was one of the worst binoculars I see!! Why? Because the "sweet spot" was extremely small with a field outer edge really fuzzy starting very close to the center. Very annoying to me!!!
It seems to be very well made with central focus and diopter wheels. But their optics were not in the same league as other pocket binoculars. As I said, at least my sample....

Hello,

As the 8x30 Dialyt came up for discussion, I took mine out for a spin today. I had no problems with near focus, about 3 metres. I had to remember which wheel did what. I also had a little trouble with sunlight coming from the sides, generating an odd but small reflectionl in the view, more a problem for eyeglass wearers.
Focussing is accomplished by the objectives moving in their tubes, not by true internal focussing. I have been advised that internal focussing actually increases chromatic aberration.

I think that it is still a useful binocular in a rather compact package.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :hi:

Attachments

• Dialyt.jpg
    Dialyt.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back