• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sittidae (1 Viewer)

Richard Klim

-------------------------
Pasquet, Barker, Martens, Tillier, Cruaud & Cibois (in press). Evolution within the nuthatches (Sittidae: Aves, Passeriformes): molecular phylogeny, biogeography, and ecological perspectives. J Ornithol. [abstract]

Sitta nagaensis

Min Zhao, Yongbin Chang, Rebecca T. Kimball, Jian Zhao, Fumin Lei, Yanhua Qu. Pleistocene glaciation explains the disjunct distribution of the Chestnut‐vented Nuthatch (Aves, Sittidae). Zoologica Scripta, First Published: 28 November 2018.

Abstract:

Pleistocene climatic oscillations have played an important role in shaping many species’ current distributions. In recent years, there has been increasing interest in studying the effects of glacial periods on East Asian birds. Integrated approaches allow us to study past distribution range changes due to Pleistocene glaciation, and how these changes have affected current population genetic structure, especially for species with unusual distribution patterns. The Wuyi disjunction is the disjunct distribution of birds between the Wuyi Mountains in south‐eastern China and south‐western China. Although several species exhibit the Wuyi disjunction, the process behind this unusual distribution pattern has remained relatively unstudied. Therefore, we used the Chestnut‐vented Nuthatch Sitta nagaensis as a model species to investigate the possible causes of the Wuyi disjunction. Based on phylogenetic analyses with three mitochondrial and six nuclear regions, the Wuyi population of the Chestnut‐vented Nuthatch was closely related to populations in mid‐Sichuan, from which it diverged approximately 0.1 million years ago, despite the long geographical distance between them (over 1,300 km). In contrast, geographically close populations in mid‐ and southern Sichuan were genetically divergent from each other (more than half a million years). Ecological niche modelling suggested that the Chestnut‐vented Nuthatch has experienced dramatic range expansions from Last Interglacial period to Last Glacial Maximum, with some range retraction following the Last Glacial period. We propose that the Wuyi disjunction of the Chestnut‐vented Nuthatch was most likely due to recent range expansion from south‐western China during the glacial period, followed by postglacial range retraction.

Palearctic

Päckert M., Bader-Blukott M., Künzelmann B., Sun Y.-H., Hsu Y.-C., Kehlmaier C., Albrecht F., Illera J.C. & Martens J., 2020. A revised phylogeny of nuthatches (Aves, Passeriformes, Sitta) reveals insight in intra- and interspecific diversification patterns in the Palearctic. Vertebr. Zool. 70 (2): 241-262.

There

Päckert M., Bader-Blukott M., Künzelmann B., Sun Y.-H., Hsu Y.-C., Kehlmaier C., Albrecht F., Illera J.C. & Martens J., 2020. A revised phylogeny of nuthatches (Aves, Passeriformes, Sitta) reveals insight in intra- and interspecific diversification patterns in the Palearctic. Vertebr. Zool. 70 (2): 241-262.

There

Now I'm reluctant to subdivided Sitta into subgenera because no name is available for the Sitta carolinensis clade

I'm reluctant to subdivided Sitta into subgenera because no name is available for the Sitta carolinensis
From the internets "Sitta carolinensis is arranged in subgenus Leptositta" Ive seen Homositta S. A. BUTURLIN, Travaux Soc??
Arctositta (p.4), Cyanositta
(p.11), Homositta (p.16), Leptositta (p.17) .? Mesositta. Micrositta. Poecilositta. Poliositta. Callisitta, Oenositta??

Last edited:
Although Buturlin 1916 included Sitta carolinensis in this subgenus, the type of his Leptositta is Sitta leucopsis Gould 1850, thus the name applies to the "Sino-Himalaya 1" group in Päckert et al's phylogeny.
The type of Homositta Buturlin 1916 is Sitta castaneoventris Franklin 1831, which is a synonym of Sitta castanea Lesson 1830 (= "Sino-Himalaya 3" goup in Päckert et al).

Is this work still accessible from the US ? It used to be at: https://hdl.handle.net/2027/uc1.b2957897

...Poecilositta. Poliositta. Callisitta, Oenositta??

Divergence times and heterogeneity both too great for all nuthatches to be included in Sitta. New name definitely required for magna/carolinensis group, as the absence of an available name here validates maintaining a broad Sitta.

The position of arctica is fascinating!

Does anyone know what the correct generic name for the blue nuthatches would be? There are several names attached to this group but I'm a bit stumped as to which one has priority.

Dendrophila (Swainson, 1837) type: frontalis -
seems to be narrowly pre-dated by Dendrophila (Hodgson, 1837)

Cyanositta (Buturlin, 1916) type: corallipes

Poecilositta (Buturlin, 1916) type: azurea

Poliositta (Robinson & Kloss, 1918) type: expectata

Oenositta (Wolters, 1979) type: frontalis

I'm assuming that either Cyanositta or Poecilositta would be the correct name but which has priority? And why did Wolters introduce Oenositta when other names existed? (Is there a problem with the closeness of Cyanositta to Cyanocitta?)

I'm assuming that either Cyanositta or Poecilositta would be the correct name but which has priority? And why did Wolters introduce Oenositta when other names existed? (Is there a problem with the closeness of Cyanositta to Cyanocitta?)
Wolters used Poecilositta Buturlin 1916 for azurea alone, but did not use Cyanositta Buturlin 1916 -- instead, he replaced “Orthorhynchus Swainson 1820, nec Cuvier 1800 and Dendrophila Swainson 1837 nec Hodgson 1837” with "Oenositta nom. nov.", without further explanations.

The valid name should in principle be Cyanositta or Poecilositta as you say, but these two were introduced on the same date and at the same rank, thus we need a first reviser act to fix their relative precedence.

Note that, under the ICZN, the type of Poliositta Robinson & Kloss is azurea Lesson -- not expectata, which was treated as a mere subspecies of azurea in the OD. (See Art. 68.3.)

Last edited:
Thanks for replies, very helpful.

I can't open the attached thumbnails though Björn - I get a message saying 'Invalid Attachment specified'

If of interest; have a photo copy of page 253 of Wolters's Die Vogelarten der Erde, where Oenositta was introduced (in 1979), also showing his treatment of Fam. Neosittidae, and Fam. Sittidae (at least the first part of it, unfortunately I didn't copy the continuation of it, on p.254).

First I thought of posting it here (and I actually did, for a few minutes), but due to copyright rules I retracted and decided not to. If anyone feel like having a copy of p.253 I can send it to you (if so use the BirdForum's Private Message System).

Björn

I can't open the attached thumbnails though Björn - I get a message saying 'Invalid Attachment specified'
Andrew, you couldn't/can't open any 'Invalid Attachment specified', simply as I deleted my earlier post, thus there's no longer anything/nothing to open. Sorry, but copyright rules are copyright rules. ;)
-

Last edited:
Cyanositta (Buturlin, 1916) type: corallipes

Poecilositta (Buturlin, 1916) type: azurea

Poliositta (Robinson & Kloss, 1918) type: expectata
Note that, under the ICZN, the type of Poliositta Robinson & Kloss is azurea Lesson -- not expectata, which was treated as a mere subspecies of azurea in the OD. (See Art. 68.3.)
Richmond says:
Poliositta H. C. Robinson and C. B. Kloss, Journ. Fed. Malay States Mus.,
VIII, Pt. II, Dec, 1918,228.
Type, Callisitta azurea expectata H.\rtert. [Sittidae.]
( Monotypy.
)
(Not indicated as new here; probably =Poecilositta Buturlin.)
Was this a failed first revisor act? I cannot find on BHL

Richmond says:
Poliositta H. C. Robinson and C. B. Kloss, Journ. Fed. Malay States Mus.,
VIII, Pt. II, Dec, 1918,228.
Type, Callisitta azurea expectata H.\rtert. [Sittidae.]
( Monotypy.
)
(Not indicated as new here; probably =Poecilositta Buturlin.)
Was this a failed first revisor act? I cannot find on BHL
Vol. 8 of this journal is lacking on BHL https://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/bibliography/51854; from the US, you may be able to see it at https://hdl.handle.net/2027/mdp.39015047632073.

R&K merely used Poliositta in the trinomen Poliositta azurea inexpectata, without explaining, and without attributing it to an author. It seems quite possible indeed that their Poliositta was a corruption of Poecilositta Buturlin, also based on Sitta azurea Lesson. (Particularly as this bird is not exactly grey, thus calling it 'Poliositta' doesn't even makes sense.)
I know what Richmond wrote about the type ([here]), but this is not in line with the current rules. When a genus-group name is proposed without a type designation and with one single included taxonomic species denoted by an available name, the type is fixed "by monotypy" as the nominal species denoted by the valid name used for the species in the OD. Any name used at subspecies rank in the OD is to be ignored. (The birds that the author may have been studying when he proposed the genus-group name do not play any role in the typification of this name, thus their subspecific ID is in principle irrelevant.)

Last edited:
(Is there a problem with the closeness of Cyanositta to Cyanocitta?)

In Latin, the letter c is pronounced as the letter k, and never as the letter s, so these two names are not homonyms. However, given that most English speakers (and likely speakers of various other languages) don't know much Latin and would pronounce these the same, a first reviser would be wise to choose Poecilositta over Cyanositta.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back