• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Short-toed Larks - Greater vs Lesser (Europe) (1 Viewer)

John Cantelo

Having previously amused myself with drawing & writing a short guide to Thekla's vs Crested Lark ID I've gone back to drawing board (literally) and had a go at illustrating short-toed larks. Unlike last time I've yet to compose a table to go with it which I hope to do anon ....

Attachments

• ST Lark Reduced.png
    ST Lark Reduced.png
    201.4 KB · Views: 263
Yes very nice. Meanwhile, perhaps post to one of the Opus pages, with a link to it from the other?

[Oh and if you could just add in all the asian short-toed thingys too...]

next step will be to make a PDF with the full size image available ...

Niels

Thanks again for everyone's kind words. I'll be drafting my article on the two for the ABS magazine anon & hope to do something similar to my Thekla's vs Crested Lark table of differences. When I do so I should be able to put together a pdf .....

Thinking of tackling Phylsocs next if I'm brave enough ....

Yes very nice. Meanwhile, perhaps post to one of the Opus pages, with a link to it from the other?

[Oh and if you could just add in all the asian short-toed thingys too...]

...and remember there's a new paper out on the systematics of the Asian taxa...!
MJBo:Do:D
(Ghorbani et al 2020...)

Short-toed Larks PDF

I've re-used my drawings, added ID & other details in tabular form and, as requested, saved it as a pdf. (Although I'm not sure it's inevitable complexity makes it more helpful than the simpler original!) I'll be posting this & other info on my blog anon. The much reduced version of the pdf is attached below. I'm afraid anything beyond European birds is way beyond my knowledge, expertise & experience! I suspect that there's a glitch (or two) lurking in the pdf (I'm rubbish at proof reading my own work) so any feedback would be useful.

Attachments

• Short-toed Lark pdf Reduced.png
    Short-toed Lark pdf Reduced.png
    130.7 KB · Views: 49
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back