• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bucconidae (1 Viewer)

Peter Kovalik

Slovakia
Ferreira, M., Aleixo, A., Ribas, C. C. and Santos, M. P. D. (2016), Biogeography of the Neotropical genus Malacoptila (Aves: Bucconidae): the influence of the Andean orogeny, Amazonian drainage evolution and palaeoclimate. J. Biogeogr.. doi:10.1111/jbi.12888

[abstract]

Posso, S. R., Donatelli, R. J., Piacentini, V., & Guzzi, A. (2020). Phylogeny and classification of the Bucconidae (Aves, Galbuliformes) based on osteological characters. Papéis Avulsos De Zoologia, 60, e20206027. https://doi.org/10.11606/1807-0205/2020.60.27

Abstract:

The puffbirds (Bucconidae) are relatively poorly studied birds whose intrafamilial relationships have not yet been explored within a phylogenetic framework in a published study. Here, we performed a parsimony analysis of osteological data obtained following the examination of all the genera and 32 out of the 36 species recognized in Bucconidae currently. The analysis yielded eight equally parsimonious trees (426 minimum steps). Ambiguous relationships were observed only in Notharcus ordii, Malacoptila fusca, and Nonnula rubecula. Notably, Bucco was polyphyletic, leading to the resurrection of Cyphos and Tamatia. In addition, the osteological data provided a well-resolved phylogeny (topological dichotomies) and the support indices indicated that most of the nodes were robust at all hierarchical levels. We thus propose the first revised classification of the Bucconidae.

[pdf]

Their results contradict those obtained by Mateus & al. in their unpublished study, especially the paraphyly of Hypnelus and Tamatia with Notharchus (Mateus & al.). I had restored Nothriscus for tectus and subtectus but, I have a doubt now.

Papéis Avulsos De Zoologia
It's a bit strange that this paper was apparently not registered with ZooBank, while the website of the journal states it should have been. ("The editorial team of Papéis Avulsos de Zoologia is going to register articles that contain nomenclatural acts in ZooBank. Such articles will receive a Life Sciences Identifier (LSID) that is going to be included in the published version." -- http://www.revistas.usp.br/paz/about. Five new family-group taxa are described and named in this article.)

I also see there that "Museu de Zoologia maintains exchange agreements with several national and foreign institutions, libraries and museums which receive the print version of the journal." Is the print version still "obtainable" by the public too ? When is it published ?

Last edited:
I note that some modern authors use Nystactes Gloger, 1827, who considered Tamatia Cuvier, 1817, barbarous. Tamatia is based on a Tupi name for the Boat-billed Heron Cochlearius.

I note that some modern authors use Nystactes Gloger, 1827, who considered Tamatia Cuvier, 1817, barbarous. Tamatia is based on a Tupi name for the Boat-billed Heron Cochlearius.
Gloger introduced Nystactes as a new name for Capito Vieillot 1816.

https://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/page/13026389 -
Capito, Vt. – Nystactes, m.
Capito ein Großkopf; ein auch anderweitig häufiger vorkommendes Wort von einem sich wenig empfehlenden Sinne. – Nystactes (dormitor, nystagma Schlafsucht) in Bezug auf ihr schläfriges Wesen, weßhalb eine Art Bucco somnolentus.
Like almost all new names in this paper, this was a pure nomenclatural replacement, the only aim being to provide a “better” name for the group named Capito, "bighead", this name being judged inappropriate; the new name was justified by Gloger’s perception of these birds as being of a sleepy nature; the fact that one of them was named “Bucco somnolentus” being merely cited as an example illustrating this nature. The name is in use under the assumption that the latter species would be the type by monotypy. That this cannot be done was rightly noted, as early as 1841 by GR Gray https://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/page/14050244.

The type of Nystactes is that of Capito.

Last edited:
I also see there that "Museu de Zoologia maintains exchange agreements with several national and foreign institutions, libraries and museums which receive the print version of the journal." Is the print version still "obtainable" by the public too ? When is it published ?
Dear Laurent,
Yes, every article published in PAZ is also made available in print. I don't have the exact dates, but it should be in the same week. One can either get it (usually for free) at the Museum's library or access in one of the receiving institutions. It's been quite a few years since I left the Museum, but I can try to find how many are printed.

Yes, every article published in PAZ is also made available in print. I don't have the exact dates, but it should be in the same week. One can either get it (usually for free) at the Museum's library or access in one of the receiving institutions. It's been quite a few years since I left the Museum, but I can try to find how many are printed.
Just in case anyone else may be worried, I've just talked to the head of the library at MZUSP and she confirmed that 300 copies are printed for every paper, 250 of them for exchange with other institutions wordwide (including Belgium :)).

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back