View Single Post
Old Wednesday 17th June 2020, 10:05   #10
opisska
Jan Ebr

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajanuma View Post
But the same is true of warbler, sparrow, finch, flycatcher, hawk, bunting, etc.

I mean if you're going to rename all North American 'tanagers' to Piranga, then what's the point of having Scarlet Piranga, Summer Piranga, Western Piranga, etc. Why not just go all the way and call them Piranga olivacea, P. rubra, P. ludoviciana, etc?

There's no such thing as a perfect bird name, as long as we all know what the names Scarlet Tanager or Song Sparrow or Ring-necked Duck refer to, then what's the problem? I do think Palmetto Sparrow and Dakota Longspur are wonderful names, though
Wouldn't it be actually nice, if also the things you listed were put in order? Especially the "sparrow" title should be really removed from American "sparrows" (which are all buntings) - I think the old world ones, known thousands of years earlier, should take precedence here.

For me the main problem here is that the English nomenclature is typically two words with one being more general and the other one describing a sub-type and that makes it look like genus and species, which it monumentally isn't though. I mean in Czech, we still suffer from the fact that the taxonomy shifted a lot in the 150 years since the Czech binomial names were standartised, but we at least started with genus-species names.