• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Raptor sw france. (1 Viewer)

babbler

Bread and butter for someone not me though
Lockdown archive Dusting
Cheers to all birders !

Attachments

• 1160343.jpg
    1160343.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 156
Surely this is a sparrowhawk. Hen harrier would have three broad dark bars across the secondaries, including a very broad one at the trailing edge. This bird has 5/6 very narrow bars and no trailing edge to speak of.

Sparrowhawk all the way! You can see the barring across the belly which I Hen Harrier would never show. Plus a Hen Harrier would show 2 bars though the secondaries and Sparrowhawks show 4+

DDL Groupie
Curlew Night Heron

Glad someone’s on the ball and not suffering from heatstroke ;)

Indeed, I couldn't reconcile any of the plumage features (remige pattern/extent of barring), shape and extent of the bands on the primaries, shape and size of the bands on the tail with Hen harrier, but the face kept throwing me off.
Time for cider, or ice cream, or both!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back