• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk Butterflies and Moths (3 Viewers)

I'd agree. The yellow globe will attract insects but the deep purple variety (davidii?) has far more attractiveness especially for late summer broods of butterflies. I have both of these plus a "wild" standard. If you're having just the one then go for the very dark deep purple specimen.

Well, wasn't expecting this: Camberwell Beauty photographed "on the Sandringham Estate in Norfolk on 30th March 2019. This was on a road called the Scotch Belt at grid reference TF68802855."
I have to assume it hibernated here since last autumn, can't imagine it flew in this week.

For Dingy and Grizzled, Foulden Common (TF7600) is the best site. I would think they'd still be flying mid-May
Current distribution map for Green Hairstreak on the North coast attached. Beeston and Kelling are good but most areas with Gorse are possibles.

Attachments

• gh-nn.bmp
    43.6 KB · Views: 42
For Dingy and Grizzled, Foulden Common (TF7600) is the best site. I would think they'd still be flying mid-May
Current distribution map for Green Hairstreak on the North coast attached. Beeston and Kelling are good but most areas with Gorse are possibles.

Thanks very much. That’s a bit far south for our trip to the north coast. Is narborough railway embankment any good ? I think I could visit that on the way in

it wasn't - got soaked. Both Dingy and Grizzled seen there on the Sunday though (typical). In other news, first Swallowtail reported

Small Blue

One was photographed at Cranwich Camp Yesterday. This is the first definite record for Small Blue in Norfolk since 1993 so I've no idea where it came from.
In other news Meadow Brown reported and a Fritillary of some sort! Clearly an early year.

I have just seen four Painted Ladies in my garden in Hopton (I can't remember the last time I saw one there.) Is there a lot of them about at the moment or was I just in the right place at the right time?

Ron

There seems to be quite a few about at present. Had one in garden in Norwich tonight and a brief walk in North Denes (Yarmouth) on Wednesday disturbed several in relatively small section of overall area. RSPB Minsmere twitter feed also confirms many present and also referred to large numbers in Scandinavia.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back