• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Congratulation Olympus (1 Viewer)

4-3 rumours have mentioned a 75-300 version 2 (but seemingly not any faster?) and the follow up to EM5 being able to handle the regular 4/3 lenses and not only the m4/3 versions. Off course, neither is set in stone, but that is the info forthcoming.

Niels

I have the panasonic version, which focus at about 1.5 meters if I recall correctly

Niels

This is very good news although im not an olympus user it nice to see this type of camera up there .
Rob.

It's only a sparrow but hey ? Had om-d a week but with the abysmal weather only had a couple of chance to take anything. Long way to go but not too bad !

Attachments

• P1260131a.jpg
    P1260131a.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 134
It's only a sparrow but hey ? Had om-d a week but with the abysmal weather only had a couple of chance to take anything. Long way to go but not too bad !

fabulous details on the feathers and on the eye. can you tell us more about the lens and the EXIF details.

also was the digital tele converter on, and maybe this is early for you to judge but is there any difference in IQ with or without it.

lens is 100-300 at 300mm. I have read about being soft at long end so wanted to try it out.
EXIF as follows :
iso 200
1/500
f8
probably only 15 feet away but I had had a couple of failures earlier so went back to close range . The jury is still out as I can't quite work the camera out. I did a long range test today and came out with this pintail at about 80-100 yds and the camera did remarkably well, but I've taken some at 20 yds which I've binned instantly as not being very sharp .At this stage I'll put it down to me so will carry on playing and learning .
I didn't use DRT as until you asked the question I didn't know camera could do that - ( read manual idiot ! to himself )

Attachments

• P1270021a.jpg
    P1270021a.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 104
  • P1270021b.jpg
    P1270021b.jpg
    217.6 KB · Views: 114
Having the same lens on the GH2, I am always trying to take 2-3 photos per burst and 2-4 (or more) bursts per motif, as I often find that one photo will be sharper than the rest.

Niels

I compared the ISO performance of the OM-D EM-5 with that of my E520 by looking at the comparison images on dpreview. Can I really get 3 or 4 stops more just by changing cameras? Or am I misinterpreting the images?

If I can then this alone is a good reason to upgrade.

I would not be too surprised. However, you may want to wait for the next Olympus camera because rumours say it will be able to fully use 4/3 lenses, while the current adapters only allow for rather slow AF with those lenses.

Niels

I would not be too surprised. However, you may want to wait for the next Olympus camera because rumours say it will be able to fully use 4/3 lenses, while the current adapters only allow for rather slow AF with those lenses.

Niels
I'm using an old MF lens, so no problems there.

Have any of you tried this camera with manual focus? Is it easy to focus accurately? I.e does it give any kind of assistance? I assume it can at least magnify the view?

Looking forward to reviews of the new 75-300mm II. I hope it is optimized to perform best ad the extreme long end and will be better at f/6.7 than Pana's 100-300mm is at f/8. The IBIS of the OM-D should be as effective as Pana's OIS. But then, where's the fracking 300mm f4 prime?!

Nice to see Olympus getting a bit of recognition for a change. I am looking forward to seeing what they produce to allow PDAF with their excellent 4/3 lenses. I don't know if it will be an adapter or a larger m4/3 body something completely different. Hopefully, though, it will be something.

Ron

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back