• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lark sp. [Switzerland] (1 Viewer)

arno7

Hello all,

I come here for your opinion on this lark photographed by a friend in Southern Switzerland last weekend, and which is causing much debate. There is only this single picture, and some claim that this is a Calandra Lark, which would be a major rarity in the country. IMO, the long tail, long primary projection and jizz all point toward a Skylark. The bill seems big at the first glance, but a second look reveals it is actually quite thin. Just the black spot on the shoulder is troubling me.

Best thanks,

Arnaud

Attachments

• larksp.jpg
    larksp.jpg
    402.4 KB · Views: 226
Hello all,

sorry to dig out this thread, but the record is currently under review by the homologation committee here in Switzerland, and there is still much discussion on this bird, that might not be a straightforward identification after all. One of the main anti-skylark (and pro-calandra) argument is the look of the tertiaries (with the inner dark part contrasting with outer light part). I still don't get the gut feeling of a calandra, but what about a greater short-toed lark?

Would be really interested to hear what you think, since it would be good to find a consensus here before I have to argue for a skylark in front of the committee.

Best

Arnaud

Hi Arnaud,

Greater Short-toed Lark can be excluded at once due to its almost non-existing primary projection.

As you mention, the latter field mark can also be used to eliminate Calandra Lark, because that species has a very long primary projection.

Skylark, however, with its - to quote the Collin's guide - "moderate" primary projection matches perfectly. A further clinching character is the tail projection, which is considerably longer in Skylark than in Calandra Lark, so you should be able to put this claim to rest by using your initial arguments.

Peter

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back