• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Where to go birding in Andalucia? (1 Viewer)

markgriff

markgriff
Anyone know of any good birdwatching locations in the Andalucia area of southern Spain?
I'm off for a week long horse riding holiday with my wife in November, staying approximately half way between Malaga and Almeria at the lower end of the Alpujarras mountains.

During the non-riding times I would be looking to do a bit of birding, so if anyone knows of any good spots in the area, any info would be gratefully received.

Many thanks,

I suggest that you get hold of one of the 'Where to watch birds in southern Spain' books. There is one by John Butler (BF member) and at least one other.

I stayed at Nerja for a week once , and that sounds like somewhere near where you will be. No particular sites in that area, but there is a river valley and estuary area towards Malaga that was interesting, and it was easy enough to get into the sierras.

Steve

markgriff said:
Anyone know of any good birdwatching locations in the Andalucia area of southern Spain?
I'm off for a week long horse riding holiday with my wife in November, staying approximately half way between Malaga and Almeria at the lower end of the Alpujarras mountains.
During the non-riding times I would be looking to do a bit of birding, so if anyone knows of any good spots in the area, any info would be gratefully received.
Many thanks,

Hi Mark.

As Steve has said, my book "Birdwatching on Spain's Southern Coast" covers a part of the area near where you appear to be staying.

I think the site Steve is referring to is the Río Velez, just a kilometre to the west of Torre del Mar. This is an excellent site, covering numerous different habitats and was one of my favourites when I lived in that part of Spain.There is also good birding to be had at the Río Guadalhorce estuary and nature reserve near Málaga. To the east there are several good sites in the Almeria direction. The best of these is the Cañadas de Norias, near Roquetas de Mar.

All of these sites are covered in my book, but there are also other books, such as Paterson and Garcia's "Where to watch birds in Southern and Western Spain" that may be of interest.

If you let us know exactly where you will be staying I may be able to give you further information.

Regards from Doñana.

John.

John Butler said:
Hi Mark.

If you let us know exactly where you will be staying I may be able to give you further information.

Regards from Doñana.

John.

John,

The exact accomodation we are staying at is called Rancho Ferrer, which I believe is in the former abandoned village of El Ferrer. The village has now been renovated and is described as being 10 minutes from the coast. Looking at the map, it's just a few miles east of Motril. (see www.ranchoferrer.com)

I've had a look at your website and I see that the Donana region is on the opposite side of Malaga to where we are staying. Of the other birding sites mentioned on the website, are any of them near to where I'm located?
Also, with regards to the tours you run, am I staying too far out to be able to come along on one of these?

Regards,

markgriff said:
John,

The exact accomodation we are staying at is called Rancho Ferrer, which I believe is in the former abandoned village of El Ferrer. The village has now been renovated and is described as being 10 minutes from the coast. Looking at the map, it's just a few miles east of Motril. (see www.ranchoferrer.com)
I've had a look at your website and I see that the Donana region is on the opposite side of Malaga to where we are staying. Of the other birding sites mentioned on the website, are any of them near to where I'm located?
Also, with regards to the tours you run, am I staying too far out to be able to come along on one of these?
Regards,

Hi Mark.

After looking on my maps it would appear that you are staying mid-way between Motril and Albuñol. This would put you about 70 kms (45 minutes) away from the "Cañada de las Norias" in Almeria province, one of the finest birding sites along that part of the coast. As I said previously, this site is included in my own and several other guide books.

There are also several other good wetland sites just to the southwest of Roquetas de Mar, about 10 kms from Cañada de las Norias. These are very easy to find and are always good for a wide range of birds.

Unfortunately, the Granada coastal area is not very well blessed with quality birding sites. Most of the sites of interest are well inland and are large areas, rather than distinct sites.

The other site I mentioned, the Río Velez, would be about 85 kms away in the Málaga direction.

All of the sites that are shown and mentioned on my website are within the Doñana region, where I live and conduct my tours. This is about 400 kms away from where you will be staying, so it would not be a realistic proposition to consider coming over for a tour.

If there is any other information I can give, please ask.

Regards from Doñana.

John.

John,

Many thanks for the info and to you Steve for your reply.

I think the locations you mentioned in between Malaga and Almeria should be in reach for me.
If I headed north one day from where I'm staying and up into the mountain areas, is that likely to be productive or do the coastal areas win hands down for numbers and variety?

Also, is your book the one with the Golden Oriole on the cover?

Regards,

Hi Mark
I'll certainly second John Butlers' advice to you for some good birding.

I've enclosed my trip report of the area from Feb. 03 to give you some idea of the birds likely to be seen.

Good birding
john-henry

Trip Report from Almeria Spain 29th Jan – 12th Feb. 2003 J. H.Johns

Fancying a bird-watching trip to Almeria, Spain during the winter I booked a flight with Easyjet from Bristol to Malaga, £40 return. Car hire was arranged with Holiday Autos, £113 for 14 days and rental of an apartment with Almerisol, a property/rental company in Roquetas de Mar, at 180 euros/week (approx £120). All were booked via the internet and all went very smoothly and trouble free.

Renting an apartment at this time of year works out a lot cheaper than staying in hotels – especially if several people are sharing, and is also more comfortable than being stuck in a small hotel room. In this one the kitchen had everything to cook meals etc. a bedroom with 2 single beds, the lounge with settee and two armchairs, sofa-bed, TV, radio, coffee table and dining table with four chairs, and the bathroom a hand basin, shower, toilet and a washing machine, all you needed for four people, let alone one.
The flight was on time and landed at 09.30hrs local time. After collecting my bags and hire car - a Fiat Punto, from Crown car hire desk below the arrivals terminal, I set off for Roquetas de Mar at 10.30. Outside was sunny and hot, so off came the coat and jumper and on went the sunglasses - this is more like it!!
A couple of stops along the way produced a few birds, Serin, Spotless Starling, Sardinian Warbler, Black Redstart, Stonechat, Crested Lark, Yellow-legged Gulls and a group of 9 Mediterranean Gulls.

I arrived at Cańada de Las Norias, on the outskirts of Las Norias town, about 1.30pm and spent the afternoon there. This is one of the best birding spots in the area and a must to visit, one of those places where anything can, and does turn up. I visited here several times over the next 2 weeks and each time saw at least one bird not seen on a previous visit.
After a great afternoon, sitting in the sun with lots to look at I headed for Urbanisation Roquetas de Mar to pick up the keys to the apartment. It got dark about 7 p.m. and shortly after this, and a visit to the little corner shop 100 yards away, I was enjoying a glass or three of wine – at less than 70 pence a litre!!

The two weeks were spent within a short distance of Roquetas de Mar, apart from a trip to Cabo de Gata and two trips to Las Amoladeras Steppes, 50-60 miles away. The sites could have been covered comfortably in one week.

Sites visited:

Cañada de Las Norias – Two lakes with some vegetation around its edges – although a lot of this is being lost with excavation for pipe-laying in the eastern lake. The area holds a good selection of water-side birds and passerines, being especially good for White-headed Duck.
Easily found by taking the Las Norias/La Mojonera turning off the E15 from Malaga to Almeria and following the road signs to Las Norias. Drive through the small town until reaching a roundabout with an exit on the right for San Agustin, (remember this turn, it is the shortest and easiest route to Roquetas and the saltpans), carry on over the roundabout and in the next 100 yards or so look for a turning on the left leading to lots of polytunnels and crossing the two lakes that make up the reserve of Cañada de las Norias. After a look around this part come back to the main road, turn left and drive out of the town, more of the lake is easily visible on your left - this part produced most of the good birds, Purple Gallinule, Penduline Tit, Whiskered Tern, White-headed Duck, etc. There are several places to pull off the road on the right-hand side and obtain close views of most of the birds.

Birds recorded Cañada de Las Norias (29th Jan, 2nd 6th and 10th Feb).

Black-necked Grebe, Little Grebe, female Little Bittern, Cattle Egret, Little Egret, Gadwall, Mallard, Pintail, 100’s Shoveler, 12+ Red Crested Pochard, Pochard, 80+ White-headed Duck, Marsh Harrier, Kestrel, Moorhen, 3 Purple Gallinule, Coot, Black-winged Stilts, Lapwing, Green Sandpiper, Common Sandpiper, Black-headed Gull, Lesser Black-backed Gull, Yellow-legged Gull, sub-adult Whiskered Tern, Collared Dove, Hoopoe, Crested Lark, Crag Martin, 2 Swallows, Meadow Pipit, White Wagtail, Black Redstart, Stonechat, Cetti’s Warbler, Fan-tailed Warbler, Sardinian Warbler, Blackcap, Chiffchaffs, Penduline Tits, 3 Southern Grey Shrike, Magpie, Spotless Starling, House Sparrow, Serin, Greenfinch, Corn Bunting.

Salinas Vieja and Cerrillos up to Punta del Sabinar - just west of Roquetas de Mar - a large area of saltpans, some unused with encroaching vegetation, coastal dunes, scrub, pools, etc.
An excellent area and one of the prime sites in Almeria. Held a good variety of birds including Audouin’s Gull, Penduline Tit, Bluethroat, Lesser Short-toed Lark and Stone Curlew, different birds were seen on each visit, and you felt anything could turn up at any time.

Access from Roquetas de Mar town is now only possible by walking along the beach to the end of the line of palm trees and cutting inland - the track leading into the area is now part of a construction site. I found an easier access point, and a driveable one, was to take the main road west out of Roquetas towards Almerimar for about 5km. and turn into a track on the left that goes through the saltpans, there is a grey block building beside the road marking the turn. Ignore the access prohibited sign, everyone has for several years and even the rangers turn a blind eye. After crossing the saltpans turn left and drive as far as the construction site at Roquetas, there is a pool and reedbeds on your right here (good for Penduline Tit and Bluethroat) and the old Salinas on your left. If possible cover the whole area back to where you crossed the saltpans, including the newer saltpans, coastal scrub, and dunes. You can then stay on this track which will take you close to the lighthouse at Punta del Sabinar where there are more saltpans, reedbeds, pools etc. The whole dune area is criss-crossed by driveable tracks giving access to the beach and areas good for Short-toed Larks and Stone Curlew.
One word of caution – the area seems to be a favoured spot for queers, I was approached by two and a third was flashing himself. Although no great problem to get rid of it’s as well to be aware of the problem and avoid it.

Birds recorded Salinas Vieja and Cerrillos (31st Jan, 5th 7th & 8th Feb).

Cormorant, Black-necked Grebe, c.100 Cattle Egret roost beside main road, Little Egret, Grey Heron, 4 Spoonbill, sev.100 Greater Flamingo, Shelduck, Teal, Mallard, Shoveler, Pochard, 60+White-headed Duck, 4 Marsh Harriers, Booted Eagle, Kestrel, Water Rail, Moorhen, Coot, Black-winged Stilt, Stone Curlew, Ringed Plover, 40+ Kentish Plover, Grey Plover, Golden Plover, Knot, Sanderling, 80+ Little Stint, Dunlin, Ruff, Snipe, Black-tailed Godwit, Whimbrel, Curlew, Spotted Redshank, Redshank, Greenshank, 2 Green Sandpiper, Wood Sandpiper, Turnstone, Mediterranean Gull, Little Gull, Black-headed Gull, 100+ Audouins Gulls, 3-4000 Lesser Black-backed Gulls, 8 Yellow-legged Gulls, Collared Dove, Little Owl, Hoopoe, 15 Lesser Short-toed Larks, Crested Lark, Thekla Lark, Crag Martins, Meadow Pipit, Water Pipit, White Wagtail, Robin, 3 Bluethroat, Black Redstart, Stonechat, Cetti’s Warbler, Fan-tailed Warbler (sorry, I refuse to use its new name on one of my favourite birds), Dartford Warbler, Sardinian Warbler, Blackcap, Chiffchaff, 6 Penduline Tit, Southern Grey Shrike, Spotless Starling, Serin, Greenfinch, Linnet, Reed Bunting.
Offshore…Gannet, Razorbill, Sandwich Tern.

Almerimar, about 15km west of Roquetas de Mar – a coastal area with similar habitat to Punta del Sabinar, without the saltpans but with taller vegetation and more of it, also on the inland side of this an area of open, grassy/stony ground leading to a long cliff-face with the main Almerimar – Roquetas road above it.
Almerimar is reached by continuing along the main road west out of Roquetas. On reaching the Almerimar turn, take it and stay on the picturesque tree-lined road all the way to the beach. Park over to the left at the start of the shrub line and you should find a wide track heading east. Along this, the small reedbeds on both sides held Penduline Tit and Bluethroat, Lesser Short-toed, Crested and 3 Thekla Larks were feeding along the track plus several Kentish Plover on the small pools.
On returning to the car drive a few yards up the road to another turning on the right that will take you inland and around to a large lake and the grassy/stony area, as well as Flamingos and Audouin’s Gulls on the lake Blue Rock Thrush and Little Owls can be found on the cliff-face.

Birds recorded Almerimar 1st & 4th Feb.

Cormorant, Cattle Egret, Little Egret, Grey Heron, Greater Flamingo, Kestrel, Water Rail, Moorhen, Stone Curlew, Kentish Plover, Grey Plover, Redshank, Greenshank, Turnstone, Mediterranean Gull, Black-headed Gull, Audouin’s Gull, Lesser Black-backed Gull, Yellow-legged Gull, Collared Dove, Little Owl, 6 Lesser Short-toed Lark, Crested Lark, Thekla Lark, 2 Skylarks, Crag Martin, Meadow Pipit, Water Pipit, White Wagtail, Robin, Bluethroat, Black Redstart, Stonechat, Blue Rock Thrush, Blackbird, Song Thrush, Cetti’s Warbler, Fan-tailed Warbler, Dartford Warbler, Sardinian Warbler, Chiffchaffs, Penduline Tit, Southern Grey Shrike, Magpie, Spotless Starling, Serin, Greenfinch, Siskin, Reed Bunting.

Las Amoladeras Steppes a large area of arid steppe, stony with low, sparse scrub, on the inland side of the AL-1001 road to Cabo de Gata, - there is also another large area to the seaward side of the road, more green and fertile but I never covered this as my main targets were Black-bellied Sandgrouse, Dupont’s and Thekla Lark.
I found the easiest way to get there was to take the E15 to Almeria and stay on it, avoiding Almeria town altogether; come off at junction 467 for Retamar/Cabo de Gata and follow the signs for Cabo de Gata. From the roundabout for Retamar the entrance road to the steppes is about 4km. along the Cabo road, and virtually opposite a building on the right with a sign saying Las Amoladeras Bird Observatory, (if you go as far as the Visitor Centre you’ve gone too far). Drive up the tarmac road until you see a large dirt track on the right with room to park, the aircraft beacon will be in sight further up the road.
Walking this track produced good numbers of Lesser Short-toed and Thekla Larks and 5 Black-bellied Sandgrouse plus Great Spotted Cuckoo in a small ravine off to the right and 2 Trumpeter Finches. After 1km. the track forks and 300yards along the right fork a Dupont’s Lark was giving its mournful song – like many others I never got to see it! Following this fork and turning left where it meets another track leads to a panoramic viewpoint overlooking another large area of steppe with more areas of low vegetation and some shallow pools, an ideal spot to sit and watch for Bustards and Sandgrouse – 3 flew into the area while I was there.

Birds recorded Las Amoladeras Steppes 9th and 10th Feb

Cattle Egret overhead, Buzzard, Kestrel, 6 Red-legged Partridge, 100+ Golden Plover, 5 Black-bellied Sandgrouse, Great Spotted Cuckoo, Hoopoe, Dupont’s Lark (heard only), Lesser Short-toed Lark, Thekla Lark, Crag Martin, Meadow Pipit, Black Redstart, Stonechat, Dartford Warbler, Sardinian Warbler, Chiffchaff, Southern Grey Shrike, Carrion Crow, Magpie, Serin, Greenfinch, Linnet, 2 Trumpeter Finches.

Salinas de Acosta a series of large saltpans just inland from the road between the towns of Cabo de Gata and Almadrava, on the approach road to Cabo de Gata headland.
On entering the town of Cabo de Gata turn left at the first roundabout for Almadrava, the track to the hide overlooking the saltpans is about halfway along the straight stretch of road leading into the town. As with most saltpans what you see depends on the time of day and how much water is in the pans, my visit was in the afternoon and the heat haze was terrible, to make matters worse the levels of the pans were either very low or empty.
However, birds were present in good numbers, if a little distant.

Birds recorded Salinas de Acosta 3rd Feb.

Greater Flamingo, Grey Heron, Black-winged Stilt, Avocet, Ringed Plover, Kentish Plover, Grey Plover, Sanderling, Little Stints, Dunlin, Black-tailed Godwit, Redshank, Greenshank, Turnstone, Black-headed Gull, Lesser Black-backed Gull, Yellow-legged Gull, Sandwich Tern, Hoopoe, Crested Lark, Corn Bunting.

Cabo de Gata headland - an arid area with sparse vegetation, mainly scrub, a rough beauty all of its own and some really good birds, e.g. Black Wheatear, Trumpeter Finch.
From the Salinas de Acosta carry on through the village of Almadrava and the road terminates in a car park at the famous lighthouse. Black Wheatears are seen as soon as you drive up the first hill on leaving Almadrava, a convenient lay-by on the left giving excellent views of them on the cliff-face and even perched on the road signs.
At the lighthouse car park a track in the top left corner leads out to an open area with a few houses, Trumpeter Finches were feeding in this area all the morning of my visit, and a pair of Black Wheatears around the first house on the right – the male singing. A walk along the road produced more Black Wheatears, Blue Rock Thrush, Rock Bunting, several Lesser Short-toed and Thekla Larks.

Birds recorded Cabo de Gata 3rd Feb.

Cormorant, Kestrel, Yellow-legged Gull, Sandwich Tern, Little Owl, Lesser Short-toed Lark, Thekla Lark, Meadow Pipit, White Wagtail, Black Redstart, Stonechat, Black Wheatear, Blue Rock Thrush, Dartford Warbler, Sardinian Warbler, Chiffchaff, Spotless Starling, Serin, Greenfinch, Goldfinch, Linnet, min.6 Trumpeter Finches, 2 Rock Buntings,

On route to Cabo de Gata - Pair Peregrines chasing feral pigeon over E15 at Almeria.

markgriff said:
John,
Many thanks for the info and to you Steve for your reply.
I think the locations you mentioned in between Malaga and Almeria should be in reach for me.
If I headed north one day from where I'm staying and up into the mountain areas, is that likely to be productive or do the coastal areas win hands down for numbers and variety?
Also, is your book the one with the Golden Oriole on the cover?
Regards,

Hi Mark.

I dont think you will be disappointed with a visit to either of the sites I mentioned. John Henry's (Hi John) trip report of Cañada de las Norias shows the quality of birding at that site, even in the middle of winter. I would expect to see more there in November.

I cannot really pass comment on what you might see in the mountains to the north of you, as I haven't visited that area. However, like most mountainous sites I would expect to see Black Redstarts, Black Wheatears, Golden and Bonelli's Eagles, Blue Rock Thrushes, Crested Tits and Short-toed Treecreepers, to name just a few.

The trouble with mountainous sites are that they are such large areas and the birds can be very much dispersed, so finding them is hard work. With the coastal sites, estuaries, lagoons, salinas, etc. the birds are usually present in large concentrations and there is usually a wide range of species.

With regard to my book. Yes, the second edition has a blue cover with a Golden Oriole on the front.

Regards from Doñana.

John.

Thanks to everyone on this thread. I'm off to Nerja at the beginning of September, primarily for a golfing holiday, but with any luck I'll get a couple of days birding in.

Dear birders, I've several times catch up with this old theread and decided to add a bit of up to date useful information. I've published a list and a map of the best birding sites in the south of Spain. Check this link to know where to go birding in Andalucia:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/embed...tk&ll=36.8917030647316,-4.516668299999992&z=8

And also this will show you where to go birding in Malaga: http://www.wildandalucia.com/bird-watching-in-malaga/

May you find it very helpful for your birding holidays in Andaluicia. If you want a guided birdwatching tour, please have a look at our birding site: www.wildandalucia.com

Alvaro Peral

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back