View Single Post
Old Friday 27th February 2004, 22:26   #9
Edward
Umimmak

Shame that you aren't entirely happy with your purchase, Swissboy. Perhaps we've been spoilt in Europe by Mullarney and Zetterström in the Collins guide but I personally think Frank Knight's plates are of a consistently high standard and I can't think of a guide to another part of the world which has as attractive plates as Pizzey & Knight, certainly not Sibley (check his weird petrels out!), SASOL Southern Africa or a couple of the new Asian guides I own to name a few. Judging plates is all very subjective (some people love Sibley's plates!) and as I can't even draw stick men perhaps I'm not the person to judge. But when I was in Brisbane choosing which book to buy (there were 3-4 on offer) this is the book which immediately grabbed my attention. Good job you didn't go for the Morcombe guide, that's all I can say!
My one main criticism of this book is that the maps don't show seasonal distributions.
Although some top guides don't even have maps (e.g. Robson - SE Asia).

If and when you visit Australia Swissboy, you'll have no choice but to take it out into the field with you. The new birds come so thick and fast there that even with copious note taking you won't have a prayer when you get back to the book in the car!

I recently bought Menkhorst & Knight's Field Guide to the Mammals of Australia and he does a great job there too although the book is depressing reading - every mammal in the country seems to be on the verge of extinction.

E