• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Ukrainian Polesie. In search of Azure tit (1 Viewer)

laszlo111

Hello.
For a few days I photographed birds in Polesie in Ukraine. I was able to see Azure tit in two locations. Pair and one bird in Svalovychi and one bird in Komory.
In addition, some other species have been photographed. I invite you to look at the pictures:http://szymonbartosz.pl/galeria/ptaki-birds/ukraina-ukraine/

Attachments

• sikora lazurowa 006.jpg
    sikora lazurowa 006.jpg
    221.8 KB · Views: 43
  • sikora lazurowa 008.jpg
    sikora lazurowa 008.jpg
    289.2 KB · Views: 36
  • sikora lazurowa 009.jpg
    sikora lazurowa 009.jpg
    238.6 KB · Views: 43
Great bird!

Somebody should look for Azure Tit in Poland, along the Bug River at the border with Belarus. The Red Book of Belarus shows breeding observations just few 10s of kilometers east of the EU border. And I heard second-hand that a Belarussian birder regularly observed wintering Azure Tits in Brest, which is directly at the border.

This part of Bug valley is not well watched and not otherwise considered very interesting ornithologically. Especially few birders bother with watching tit flocks in winter or breeding small songbirds in swampy thickets. It is possible that wintering or even sporadically breeding Azure Tits are overlooked.

Great bird!

Somebody should look for Azure Tit in Poland, along the Bug River at the border with Belarus. The Red Book of Belarus shows breeding observations just few 10s of kilometers east of the EU border. And I heard second-hand that a Belarussian birder regularly observed wintering Azure Tits in Brest, which is directly at the border.

This part of Bug valley is not well watched and not otherwise considered very interesting ornithologically. Especially few birders bother with watching tit flocks in winter or breeding small songbirds in swampy thickets. It is possible that wintering or even sporadically breeding Azure Tits are overlooked.

What are the rules about access to that part of the valley? I have been wandering close to the Border around Narewka repeatedly and it is legal, but my Czech licence plates also reliable attract the attention of the border guards leading to lengthy controls (which is so absurdly nonsensical - how the **** does me being Czech make me more suspicious around Belarussian border is beyond me).

It should be no problem. Bialowieza area is a bit strange in this respect.

If you do search for the AT then perhaps its worth checking for patches of reeds or swampy forests on Google Maps beforehand. Most of the region is simply agriculture. And it is worth to write what you saw, even if no luck.

It should be no problem. Bialowieza area is a bit strange in this respect.

If you do search for the AT then perhaps its worth checking for patches of reeds or swampy forests on Google Maps beforehand. Most of the region is simply agriculture. And it is worth to write what you saw, even if no luck.

From your post, I am still not completely sure though what you meant - do you think it's worth looking only in winter, or is there a chance even in the breeding season? If both, do the relevant habitats differ?

This is because I don't know myself. :) Little info is available about Azure Tit in western Belarus. I think both winter and summer are worth checking, winter is more chance but discovery of a breeding pair would make a splash. On top of it, numbers of AT vary by year, which probably affects its occurence in Poland, but to know what year is a good one you need to be in Belarus. Don't be surprised if you find nothing, though. At least it is a nice place to visit.

Last edited:
This is because I don't know myself. :) Little info is available about Azure Tit in western Belarus. I think both winter and summer are worth checking, winter is more chance but discovery of a breeding pair would make a splash. On top of it, numbers of AT vary by year, which probably affects its occurence in Poland, but to know what year is a good one you need to be in Belarus. Don't be surprised if you find nothing, though. At least it is a nice place to visit.

Great! I think we hijacked this report a bit, but at least it will stay up in the list :) After finally getting the Great Gray Owl I have run out of big stuff to do in Poland and I know the area in question a bit and I like it (and it's not far from Warszawa), so this seems fun. These kinds of random ideas are really why I am reading this forum in the first place.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back