• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wildlife of Missouri Artwork (3 Viewers)

I saw a documentary some weeks ago about a man living with a group of turkeys, it was really wonderful to see how sociable birds they are. Can't remember its name but perhaps you've seen it?

The painting is lovely. Soft pleasing colours.

Great work on the House Sparrow and the turkeys. I grew up in PA and Wild Turkeys were somewhat of a religion for hunters in that area - very wily and difficult to hunt. Their population has exploded there, and in many areas of the country. My state (Washington) does not count turkeys as native, but all three major subspecies in the US have been introduced here and they are doing extremely well...to the point where they periodically are considered annoying in specific situations. I was doing a bird survey for the biologists working in the city watershed here a couple years ago, and came across a turkey in full display, strutting away. I got out to take pix because he was apparently unafraid (he may have been an escapee since they are not established in that specific area yet, or just lovestruck, who knows?!) and was promptly chased back into my truck. He then proceeded to strut up and down the road outside the truck while I was photographing him through the window, and dragged the tips of his primaries along the ground to produce sound effects to go with the visual display. As he wandered away, I tried twice more to get outside for a picture and both times he came at me with evil intent. He definitely got my attention!

Monarch Butterflies

I just completed this 16" x 20" watercolor of three monarch butterflies attracted to purple coneflowers. It makes me long for those warm summer months that lie ahead. Enjoy.

Attachments

• monarchs 02.jpg
    monarchs 02.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 71
Belted Kingfisher

Of all the varieties of kingfisher, the "Belted Kingfisher" is the only one seen in Missouri. This beautiful blue dynamo can be seen darting around water and diving for their favorite fish. The watercolor painting measures 11" x 14". I hope you enjoy it.

Attachments

• kingfisher II.JPG
    kingfisher II.JPG
    188.3 KB · Views: 71
A wonderful painting Tbb :t: unfortunately for me Belted Kingfisher in any form always hurts, as 1 spent the day in my county whilst I was birding in Scotland :-C

A wonderful painting Tbb :t: unfortunately for me Belted Kingfisher in any form always hurts, as 1 spent the day in my county whilst I was birding in Scotland :-C

Lovely treatment of a cracking bird....would love to see tis species again, its been too long...

White-tail Buck

I keep striving to improve my watercoloring by trying new techniques and different wildlife subjects. There's still so much to learn. Here's a new one - a trophy white-tail buck with fourteen points. These majestic creatures thrive in Missouri but I still feel a thrill every time I see one of them. This painting measures 20" x 24", so I'm trying to enlarge my formats. Hope you enjoy it. Thank you for all your kind comments on my earlier efforts. Cheers.

Attachments

• white-tail buck.JPG
    white-tail buck.JPG
    297.6 KB · Views: 64
The buck and the kingfisher are both great. A friend of mine just sent me a video today of a Belted Kingfisher that had caught a frog and was whapping it against a limb to make sure it wasn't going to fight back from inside his stomach after he swallowed it...! It really didn't appear he was going to be able to get it down, but he succeeded.

Bluebirds

The Eastern Bluebird is Missouri's state bird. The male has noticeably brighter plumage than the female. I thought I would compose this newest watercolor of both with a backdrop of dogwood blossoms. Dogwoods bloom here in Missouri in late March or early April. There's snow on the ground here now, so I'm looking forward to spring. Enjoy.

Attachments

• bluebirds.JPG
    bluebirds.JPG
    249.4 KB · Views: 61
Apple Blossoms

I don't often do floral watercolors, but I'm captivated by the spring-time blossoms of the apple tree. This original artwork measures 22" x 28". I hope you enjoy it.

Attachments

• apple blossoms.JPG
    apple blossoms.JPG
    252.4 KB · Views: 50
Summer Tanagers

I've just completed this watercolor (16" x 20") of a pair of summer tanagers for a friend. I hope she likes it. These little birds are stunning in the wild, but I rarely see them. One of my greatest thrills was seeing a couple just like this one courting on a beautiful spring day. I hope you'll enjoy them, too.

Attachments

• summer tanagers.jpg
    summer tanagers.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 64
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back