• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon SX50 Specs (2 Viewers)

Hi Paul

Thanks for your kind words about my first shots with the SX 50.

I'm interested to hear of others with a connection to HK. This outing in Discovery Bay (DB) far exceeded expectations as it's a very manicured, not very birdy environment.

Actually I mostly leave to go birding elsewhere on Lantau, which has plenty of good sites and very few other birders, so the chance of finding my own good birds is high enough to have me setting out with a real sense of expectation.

You can find more on that here , where there are a few samples of my previous digiscoping efforts and a shot of what DB looks like these days.

Cheers
Mike

That's a fascinating read Mike. Gonna have to dig out my old photos and see if I can match it up with your panoramic view. Can't say that I remember the small lakes near the ferry port - is the small, open shopping centre still there? I was often in and out of the 7/11 with friends.

cheers for dragging me back to somewhere that I spent some good times

Paul

Many thanks Paul

The ferry port is out of view to the left, so it may be that everything you can see is new. The 7/11 still does a roaring trade, but these days the trees there are pretty big so you can also enjoy an evening roost of Crested Myna and Black-collared Starlings with your sundowner!

I'd be very interested in any older pix of Discovery Bay.

One more observation on this thread - many of the pix look better (sharper) when the size is increased. Anyone know why? My pix generally look better when shrunk down to fit the posting specs.

Anyway here's a couple of pix from my work patch taken Monday lunchtime. I was surprised how much the flycatcher and shrike stands out from the background. Is this because the deep DOF captures lots of the branch in focus, but not the background, making it seem to my eyes at least almost like a 3D image?

Cheers
Mike

Attachments

• IMG_0199 RW Bulbul RBDT.jpg
    IMG_0199 RW Bulbul RBDT.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_0206 Asian Brown Flycatcher RDBT 2.jpg
    IMG_0206 Asian Brown Flycatcher RDBT 2.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 198
Last edited:
I have recently bought this camera and am in the process of getting to grips with all of the functions.

Some thing that is puzzling me.

What is the difference between using Sports Mode and taking a "burst" of shots, and using SCN High Speed Burst?

Thanks in advance.

I am very very impressed with this camera.

I have recently bought this camera and am in the process of getting to grips with all of the functions.

Some thing that is puzzling me.

What is the difference between using Sports Mode and taking a "burst" of shots, and using SCN High Speed Burst?

Thanks in advance.

I am very very impressed with this camera.
SCN high speed burst takes the AF from the first frame only, the rest of the shots in the burst are taken with no regard to whether or not they are in focus - Also in SCN you are restricted to jpeg and a load of other auto settings.

Here's a pic that shows the SX50's amazing ability to pull a bird out of the clutter.

This Lanceolated Warbler was running around my feet among a tangle of branches, making it very difficult to get a clean shot. Even though the head is chopped off the fact that the camera focused on the bird instead on one of the many intervening and background branches is, to me at least, little short of miraculous.

The other shot is a full frame Daurian Redstart that seems to have appointed itself as chief show-off. Even with some processing (very simple stuff on iPhoto and my Mac's Preview function) it still looks a bit soft to me.

Cheers
Mike

Attachments

• IMG_0359 Lanceolated Warbler 2.jpg
    IMG_0359 Lanceolated Warbler 2.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 294
  • IMG_0385 D Redstart RDBT 1.jpg
    IMG_0385 D Redstart RDBT 1.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 320
Looks fine to me Mike. I'd be very pleased with that redstart.

Took probably my best shot with the SX50 a couple of weeks ago in Jordan. Was able to get reasonably close to a party of Little Green Bee-eaters and this one was in the beautifully dappled shade of an acacia providing amazing light.

No doubt still "record shot" quality for some but I was pleased :)

Attachments

• little_green_bee-eater_18oct13_800s_6355.jpg
    little_green_bee-eater_18oct13_800s_6355.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 401
The other shot is a full frame Daurian Redstart that seems to have appointed itself as chief show-off. Even with some processing (very simple stuff on iPhoto and my Mac's Preview function) it still looks a bit soft to me.

Hi Mike and Brian, for what it's worth I think your Redstart and Bee eater pics are about as good as it gets with SX50... yes they a tad on the soft side but given all the other advantages that the camera offers they certainly are good enough for nice record shots. I'm getting similar quality pics so am now concentrating on developing my speed and skill at rapid deployment of the camera, getting the record shots in the bag to leave me free to enjoy and study the birds behaviour.

Thanks for sharing.

Don't get me wrong Brian, I am delighted with the Daurian Redstart shot.

However your Bee-eater, especially the detail in the feathering around the bill, and other pix on the thread shows that it is possible to get better definition.

If I can consistently nail shots like the redstart I'll be very happy Clive, but Brian's shot and many others on here provide a target beyond the capabilities of any kit I've used before and, in a good way, it niggles!

Cheers
Mike

This is the most interesting photo I have a a kingfisher so far. It's hovering before a plunge but then changed it's mind.

Taken with the SX50 at max optical zoom and 1.5X teleconverter.

Attachments

• September 2013 08 31 14 31 10.jpg
    September 2013 08 31 14 31 10.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 350
Always a great read and some smashing shots with this little camera. A few shots from recent times, all taken in JPEG as I havnt got around to mastering RAW as yet.

Attachments

• spurn 153 (800 x 600).jpg
    spurn 153 (800 x 600).jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 214
  • ro 014 (600 x 800).jpg
    ro 014 (600 x 800).jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 200
  • tw 044 (800 x 600).jpg
    tw 044 (800 x 600).jpg
    51 KB · Views: 164
  • staffs run around 087 (800 x 601).jpg
    staffs run around 087 (800 x 601).jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 186
  • knyp 080 (600 x 800).jpg
    knyp 080 (600 x 800).jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 192
Last edited:
This morning several sparrows smashed into my glass door between my basement office and the driveway and this one was sitting on a cooler I have outside for several minutes getting over the shock before flying off. So I had the opportunity to get very close. It's there less than 3 feet away when I stand at the doorstep.

I've observed of the SX50 that when doing closeup at short distances it has a much easier time focusing when the 2x converter is on. Without changing the optical zoom if can frequently get a focus with the converter on and not get a focus when the converter is off. I can also use more optical zoom for a closeup with the 2x when it will not focus at all without it.

Here are two shots. I was able to get a closer photo with better focus using the 2x converter. I know that this isn't scientific but it's an example of a long time observation that the SX50 is better able to focus on close things with the 2x on.

It was also a very dark morning. Dark clouds/low light.

Attachments

• 2013 10 31 10 31 09.jpg
    2013 10 31 10 31 09.jpg
    390.7 KB · Views: 193
  • 2013 10 31 10 32 02.jpg
    2013 10 31 10 32 02.jpg
    430.5 KB · Views: 240
A couple from last week. 1.5 TC used on the CB.

Attachments

• IMG_3019.JPG
    IMG_3019.JPG
    166.4 KB · Views: 261
  • IMG_3047.JPG
    IMG_3047.JPG
    557.2 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_3054.JPG
    IMG_3054.JPG
    347.9 KB · Views: 204
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back