• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Gitzo 2-way Head (1 Viewer)

Tringa45

Europe
At Photokina last week I noticed a new Gitzo 2-way head, which would appear to be a substantial improvement on the old 2180, 1720 and 2720 heads.
It carries the reference GHF2W and is a mere 590 g or 1.3 lbs and with a payload of 4 kg should be adequate for the larger birding scopes.
There is fluid damping and a unique counterbalance, which can be turned on or off and enables one to set the tilt equilibrium at a point other than the horizontal. Perhaps this would be of use with tail-heavy or objective-heavy scopes.
The top plate is Arca-Swiss compatible but unfortunately the one supplied has a rubber top surface, a 1/4" screw and no anti-rotation pin. There are no suitable alternatives shown in the Gitzo catalogue. IIRC the safety retention is a vertical pin under the plate, so one could probably use Novaflex or other Arca plates.
There was a price tag of €319,99 on the example I saw, which seems acceptable.

John

Hmm...I'll have to check this one out. I'm always interested in light weight 2-way heads that operate smoothly.

...would appear to be a substantial improvement on the old 2180, 1720 and 2720 heads.
...is a mere 590 g or 1.3 lbs and with a payload of 4 kg...

I think it is more of an alternative to the GH1720 rather than an improvement. The 1720 is lighter weight (460 g) and has the same 4 kg payload spec. I like its single rapid knob for pan and tilt, that it has no resistance when loosened, and that it locks up securely when tightened down [Some fluid heads don't lock down securely, quickly, or easily for carrying a scope on a tripod]. The GH1720 doesn't offer the counterbalance (not needed when using a long plate), isn't Arca-Swiss standard (but is easily adapted), and probably isn't as fluid.

...the chinese competition is tough and basically half the price...[/url]

What are you looking at that you consider competitive (i.e. similar features but cheaper)?

--AP

Any users yet?

I too am looking forward to hear of people’s experiences and opinions of Gitzo’s new two way fluid head.

https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=373004

I bought the GHF2W two weeks ago and up to now I am very satisfied. The head takes my ATX 95 without any problem so far: no vibrations, no wobbling, due to the counterbalance spring no tilting. The material (die cast magnesium?) is strong yet lightweight and superior to the reinforced plastic of the G2180. The movements are smooth and well damped. The horizontal plane has slightly too much resistance for my tastes even fully unfastened and the twist grips provide only 1 cm of slideway to adjust the friction. Left and right from this small area the two axes are either fixed or completely open. As I tend to leave the grips loose while observing (because the head/scope combo stops in every position I want it to) these issues are peanuts for me. I can imagine that some people would prefer a beefier fluid head weighting >1kg especially on a heavy tripod but as I said at the beginning: I am very satisfied.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back