• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (20 Viewers)

A lovely walk this afternoon at Holkham where I saw 2 Yellow-browed Warblers, a Firecrest, a Black Redstart (sitting on one of the fencelines just before Meals house) 7 Crossbills (chipping away by the crosstracks) and a party of c30 Siskins.
Sue

Had a quick jaunt over to Burnham Overy staithe and Holkham dunes again today, the Great Grey Shrike was putting on a good display for everyone it seemed, a couple of holidaying birders were well chuffed with such an easy bird to see.

The Starling roost I was going on about earlier at Cley was also seen while passsing through on the bus, about 500/800+? I reckoned flocking over the reeds from about 18.15.

Matt

Last edited:
Red-backed in Sea Palling still

This was the start of a great days birding around Eccles and Sea Palling area, also managed good views of Short Eared Owl hunting over Hempstead marshes from 14.00 along with a couple of Marsh Harrier. The Black Redstart on a cottage roof at Sea Palling gave excellent views, shortly after heard a male Tawney Owl calling from a small wooded area!

Moved onto Horsey Mere where we saw Barn Owl, a flyover Bittern, Marsh Harriers and 2 noctule bats ..then came the Pinks with Cranes calling in the background just after dusk.

Matt

Attachments

• eccles sea palling 028.jpg
    eccles sea palling 028.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 91
  • eccles sea palling 029.jpg
    eccles sea palling 029.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 82
Intriging picture of the Red-backed Shrike. It seems to be a male? - chestnut back, grey(ish) head, but very dull and not well demarcated. Is there any explanation for this/ - 1st year male? eastern race? Or am I just imagining the whole thing?!

This was the start of a great days birding around Eccles and Sea Palling area, also managed good views of Short Eared Owl hunting over Hempstead marshes from 14.00 along with a couple of Marsh Harrier. The Black Redstart on a cottage roof at Sea Palling gave excellent views, shortly after heard a male Tawney Owl calling from a small wooded area!

Moved onto Horsey Mere where we saw Barn Owl, a flyover Bittern, Marsh Harriers and 2 noctule bats ..then came the Pinks with Cranes calling in the background just after dusk.

Matt

Hi Matt

Great day out for you Matt. A change of scenary for you too. :t:

A short eared Owl, great find for anyone to find.

Lovely pictures of the Shrikes, and great find for you too.

Regards
Kathy

Went out mid afternoon to Heacham South Beach - 2.30pm, hoping to find something good (ha ha). Not alot really, few meadow pipits, 2 young pied wagtails, couple of mute swans, few greenfinches, lots of gulls gathering on mudflats, quite a movement of starlings.

Gore Point, Holme 4.15pm

Counted 86 Brents on the shore. A Tawny Owl calling in the pines behind bird observatory and a pair of Stonechats sitting on bushes on the Firs road on my way back along with a Barn Owl. Gary (NWT Warden) stopped along the road and estimated there were 9,000 starlings swarming in the skies to roost in the reeds!!!!!

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Woke up at 7.40am - shock, horror, I had set alarm for 5.10am and was supposed to leave at 6am to arrive at Holkham at first light, well that WAS the plan!!! Arrived Holkham 9.30am in the end.

Packed my rucksack full of goodies for day and planned to spend the whole day at Holkham at leisure.

Weather dull and no sun, but it got out late morning, which made a huge difference.

Great spotted weoodpecker, several jays, Marsh harrier, lots of goldcrests, parties of long tailed tits, little grebe in the 'Salt Hole'. Bumped into BF member Pete Dolton along the way. And GUESS who else was here, ahead of me, young Connor!!!!! (I am sure he will post here later). One grey wagtail flew over, mistle thrush, loads of blackbirds and redwings, heard Firecrest, kestrel, treecreeper, not far from 'Meals House'. Ring Ouzel (which Connor alerted me to) in the dunes and I flushed a nice Green woodpecker. Spent along time in the dunes, determined to flush something good! Had an hour's snooze after lunch near Gun Hill from 1.15 until 2.15pm. Then got up and walked back towards pines, had a fantastic find, well I know it was probably the same one that was hanging about, but still a nice refind - a fantastic Grey Grey Shrike at 2.45pm, sent text immediately to Birdline. Now, I noticed that it came back twice to same dead elder sticking out amongst brambles, so set the digiscope up in readiness and guess what, I got a few record shots!!! and just before this, a dodgy pipit with 2 very pale, wide wingbars sat on the elder as well - have a shot of this too. I am in a little while (just back home) going to load CD onto my computer and try for first time to get pics off my new camera onto computer and will try and post a pic of this pipit. KEEP A LOOK OUT TOMORROW, IT COULD BE A BUFF BELLIED PIPIT!!!!!!! (not) Will try and add picture here tonight. Several stonechats, brambling and a Muntjack dear near the Salthole. At 6pm when almost back to carpark, tons of blackbirds flew overhead, at least a hundred! Watched the geese gathering in the sunset.

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

P.S. Pics now added - put these on the Bird ID thread and our BF expert Jane says Meadow Pipit - and there was me getting all excited!!! (Lasts pic obviously Grey Grey Shrike)

Attachments

• DSCN0356 CORRECTED.jpg
    DSCN0356 CORRECTED.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 134
  • DSCN0356 SM.jpg
    DSCN0356 SM.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 97
  • DSCN0357 CORRECTED.jpg
    DSCN0357 CORRECTED.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 86
  • DSCN0357 SM.jpg
    DSCN0357 SM.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 91
  • DSCN0366 sm.jpg
    DSCN0366 sm.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
An enjoyable autumn day out today with 2 Yellow-browed Warblers, 3 Ring Ouzels, 2 Cetti's Warblers and a Firecrest at Holkham, a Barred Warbler and a Red-necked Phalarope at Kelling and a Yellow-browed Warbler, a Cetti's Warbler a Common Sandpiper and a single Snow Bunting at Holme NOA.

Full trip report now on my blog....

Cheers,

Spent along time in the dunes, determined to flush something good! Had an hour's snooze after lunch near Gun Hill from 1.15 until 2.15pm. Then got up and walked back towards pines, had a fantastic find, well I know it was probably the same one that was hanging about, but still a nice refind - a fantastic Grey Grey Shrike at 2.45pm, sent text immediately to Birdline. Now, I noticed that it came back twice to same dead elder sticking out amongst brambles, so set the digiscope up in readiness and guess what, I got a few record shots!!!

Great read Penny, that GG Shrike is certainly is making a LOT of people very happy at the moment!!, the whole Burnham Overy creek, dunes, marsh and Wells woods area is fast becoming my favourite part of the whole coast, going back next week and can't wait ;0)

Matt

More pics from yesterday......

Attachments

• DSCN0358 sm.jpg
    DSCN0358 sm.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 99
  • DSCN0382 sm.jpg
    DSCN0382 sm.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 89
  • DSCN0352 sm.jpg
    DSCN0352 sm.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 77
  • DSCN0353 sm.jpg
    DSCN0353 sm.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 75
  • DSCN0332 sm.jpg
    DSCN0332 sm.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 79
Few bits and pieces at Holme NOA this morning. Had a Yellow-browed Warbler (different to last nights, it was ringed), a superb Pomarine Skua close inshore west, a single Shorelark west, 1 Wheatear on the beach and 6 Bearded Tits east through the reserve. Also had some dross such as flyover Redpoll, Siskin, Brambling, Grey Wagtail and Rock Pipit.

Full trip report of today and yesterday on my website and pics of the Barred Warbler and Red-necked Phalarope as well (click on 'bird gallery' then on 'rare bird images 2007'.)

Cheers,

Connor

Last edited:
Few bits and pieces at Holme NOA this morning. Had a Yellow-browed Warbler (different to last nights, it was ringed), a superb Pomarine Skua close inshore west, a single Shorelark west, 1 Wheatear on the beach and 6 Bearded Tits east through the reserve. Also had some dross such as flyover Redpoll, Siskin, Brambling, Grey Wagtail and Rock Pipit.

Cheers,

Connor

Send the dross to me it would have been 5 new ticks

Good weekend out, but quite sore on the feet. Started Saturday am at Stiffkey and decided to walk to Burnham Overy Dunes. Very quiet at Wareham Greens, with no sign of visible migration going on. Things started getting a bit better when I got to Wells, with good numbers of redwing (300+) and a fly over Med gull. Spent about an hour chasing things round Wells wood, and heard a yellow-browed, but didn't get much else until I located a sizable long-tailed tit flock, which also held a a female /1st year type red-breasted flycatcher. Excellent bird! First I've seen for a couple of years. Phoned it on to Buster at RBA, but didn't get much else after that, bar a brief view of another yellow-browed. Caught the bus back, but unfortunately missed the last one that went to Stiffkey, so had to walk from Wells tio Stiffkey in the dark which was fun.

Beers at Tim's place after that and then out earlyish Sunday morning. Walked the Marrams towards Eccles (is that what it's called Tim?) from Sea Palling. - fast becoming a favourate spot of mine Lots of vis mig (as Connor would say:). About 7 or 8 bramblings, at least 7 tree sparrows a ring ouzel and a black redstart. Tim picked out another yellow-browed on call and we finished off the morning by relocating the red-backed shrike Tim found earlier in the week. Also 3 Little Egrets and a Grey Wagtail, which are actually quite rare for Sea Palling. After breakfast (almost at lunchtime), we went to look for the Fug duck. No sign, but Tim picked out another yellow-browed on call. From there we walked from Horsey to the Waxham pipe dump, which was totally devoid of birds, but we did get a fly by Black-throated Diver on the sea and I toyed with the idea of turning a very dark backed Lesser black-backed gull into a Baltic Gull, (which is clearly unIDable). On the way back to the car, we had nice views of a pair + juv cranes flying over, which proved to be the last good birds of the day, although we did spend time trying to find some Purple Sands which had been seen on the reefs near Eccles.

Glad you've got your photos sorted out, Penny. Your posts are always interesting, and the photos make them even better.
Many thanks.

PS
It would help in identifying the fungi if you could photograph the stem and underside of the cap. It is not necessary to damage the fungus - lay a little hand mirror on the ground and you should be able to photograph the underside fairly reasonably.

Last edited:
Glad you've got your photos sorted out, Penny. Your posts are always interesting, and the photos make them even better.
Many thanks.

PS
It would help in identifying the fungi if you could photograph the stem and underside of the cap. It is not necessary to damage the fungus - lay a little hand mirror on the ground and you should be able to photograph the underside fairly reasonably.

Hi Dave

Thank you very much for your kind comments - I have taken shots of stem of fungi that I have taken, but didn't want to bore everyone with too many pics, now I have digi camera and discovered how to actually get them on computer and BF!!!! I know what I am like, I will have to be very careful not to bombard the Norfolk thread with too many pics!!!

Cheers Penny:girl:

P.S. Have just read your profile - you have led an interesting life! Do you know Simon King?;)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back