• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

long tailed tit explosion (1 Viewer)

apus

Am I imagining this but, over the past two or three years, has the population of long-tailed tits grown exponentially? Once upon a time, a glimpse of this pink gem was relatively unusual. Nowadays, I see and hear them everywhere and they've become consistent visitors to the garden at the expense (though not literally I suspect) of the little coal tit.

Just another (albeit welcome) effect of global warming and our mild winters???

Observations welcome !

they are fast becoming most coomon small bird at my bird table......peanuts seeds biscuits but they are always brilliant to see

I've yet to see one at my feeders but work mates have them regularly. Certainly seeing a lot more in the countryside.

We only occasionally get them in the garden, but as you say, they seem to be a lot more common in the countryside than they used to be.

I'd never seen one until last year but see them all the time now, I assumed I was looking harder these days.

also i think because of easier food found in gardens round here...they are nesting in the area...before they went off to woodland to breed..but have seen nest building in ivy covered stumps and that kind of stuff

I'd never seen one in my life until recently, and I was brought up in rural Aberdeenshire and was always keen on nature.
(long long time ago.....).
It could be because I'm further south in Edinburgh though.

Susan

They are very numerous in the south Manchester/north Cheshire area, mush more so than a few years ago.

The long-tailed tit population has always swung up and down according to the severity of the winter. A really hard winter can almost wipe them out. However we've had a succession of mild winters and that's the reason for the present high numbers.

Alan Hill

Long-tailed Tits

Although we have always had Long-tailed Tits in the neigbourhood in the last month a pair have started to visit the peanut feeder. They appear like clockwork in late afternoon.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back