• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Warblers in Mexico City (1 Viewer)

Drevni

Need help IDing 2 warblers in Mexico City, pictures taken in the Desierto des los Leones Park.

DSC09574.jpg

DSC09639.jpg

Thanks in advance!

From Howell and Webb's "A Guide to the Birds of Mexico and Northern Central America": Golden-browed Warbler (Basileuterus belli) and Crescent-chested Warbler (Parula or Vermivora superciliosa). Disclaimer: I have never been in Mexico.

Nice picture of the golden-browed warbler (and yes, that is how I read my Howell & Webb also).

Crescent-chested warbler seems to be the right call too, but I am less certain about this one.

Niels

Unknown Warbler

I would also say Crescent-chested for #2; it seems to have that 'Parula-type' greenish back contrasting with the gray wing-coverts and cap; the only other warblers like that are the other Parulas, and this bird has no wing-bars. Also the brightness and extent of yellow on the underparts fits. Can't see any crescent, but could be less prominent in female or hatch-year bird (?).

(I too have never actually seen this species - I'm going by Curson, Beadle, and Quinn, one of my 'holy books'.)

Peter C.

Nice pics!
#2 is definitely Crescent-chested Warbler. Aside from field marks mentioned by Peter, the white "eyebrow" is visible. The crescent (which even in males isn't very large) is probably hidden by the branch.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back