• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2018 Orchid Thread (1 Viewer)

So pleased this thread is still going, although l haven't contributed as, sadly, l haven't had a very good orchid year. I got off to a good start in Mallorca, although it was quantity rather than number of species. On a previous visit orchids were in short supply, this time l was falling over them. I hope the thread is here next year and I'll be able to post.

Not too late to show us some photos.

Last edited:
Y Gop

Try again.

Attachments

• DSC_0323.jpg
    DSC_0323.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 34
  • DSC_0322.jpg
    DSC_0322.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 38
  • DSC_0316.jpg
    DSC_0316.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 40
  • DSC_0312.JPG
    DSC_0312.JPG
    681.2 KB · Views: 64
  • DSC_0302.jpg
    DSC_0302.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 42
Hi Guys has any of you got a photo giving a good impression of the vastness of the numbers of ALTs at this site? If so would you kindly post it up. We have an old family friend who loves wild orchids and she has been thrilled to hear the news of them at Great Orme and we would love her to be able to see a pic of them. Thanks.

Lee

Hi Guys has any of you got a photo giving a good impression of the vastness of the numbers of ALTs at this site? If so would you kindly post it up. We have an old family friend who loves wild orchids and she has been thrilled to hear the news of them at Great Orme and we would love her to be able to see a pic of them. Thanks.

Lee

Great Orme wasn't the best site. I saw perhaps a hundred on the path leading from West Beach up to the old gardens overlooking the town. The first pic shows the terrain from the path, rather than ALTS. At Gop Hill which has a stile to climb and a steeper hill there are thousands, a few to be seen on second pic.

Good luck

Attachments

• orme2018.jpg
    orme2018.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 50
  • gop2018alt2.jpg
    gop2018alt2.jpg
    441.4 KB · Views: 65
Great Orme wasn't the best site. I saw perhaps a hundred on the path leading from West Beach up to the old gardens overlooking the town. The first pic shows the terrain from the path, rather than ALTS. At Gop Hill which has a stile to climb and a steeper hill there are thousands, a few to be seen on second pic.

Good luck

Many thanks for these!

Lee

Highlights of my year #7

Talacre Dunes in the north east corner of Wales hosts a fantastic display of Dactylorhiza at the end of May and beginning of June. There is an overlapping succession of D. incarnata coccinea, D. incarnata incarnata and D. purpurella. You also find some pesky hybrids, but here they add to the variety. Well worth a visit for other species too.

I am currently serially re-reading John Haggar's seven articles about D. incarnata in the JHOS, which had the last one published this month after a hiatus of 10 years. Apart from his central message that if it is a purple flowered D. incarnata and it does not grow in acid bog conditions it is not Var. pulchella - it is a purple flowered D. incarnata which is the usual and nominate form from Scandinavia. We may be putting to much emphasis on the different coloured types being sub-species when in fact they are forms, and possibly eco-types.

Attachments

• tal2018coc2.jpg
    tal2018coc2.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 41
  • tal2018inc2.jpg
    tal2018inc2.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 35
  • tal2018nmo2.jpg
    tal2018nmo2.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
Highlights of my year #8

I had always known that Greater Butterfly Orchids grew at Llynllys near Oswestry, but it was always a couple here and a few there. Last year though we came across a area where we hadn't trod before. There were GBOs galore, but this was beyond their flowering period. So it was back there at the begining of June and it was quite a display - not hundreds but enough to have you having to decide which one to photogrpah next.

Attachments

• llyn2018gbo2.jpg
    llyn2018gbo2.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 38
  • llyn2018gbo3.jpg
    llyn2018gbo3.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 34
  • llyn2018gbo4.jpg
    llyn2018gbo4.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 37
  • llyn2018gbo5.jpg
    llyn2018gbo5.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 36
Highlights of my year #9

Haskayne Cutting is a small reserve near an old railway line a few miles inland from Ainsdale. It hosted a display of Southern Marsh Orchids numbering well over a thousand. I was there last year later in the year well after the SMOs, but there were some nice large and robust pink flowered Early Marsh Orchids.
Some of the SMOs this year were quite robust and may represent D. xwintoni, which apparently closely resembles the SMO parent according to someone who grew these at home. Worth a visit early June, or perhaps a bit later and see if the EMOs are also there in 2019

Attachments

• hask2018nmo1.jpg
    hask2018nmo1.jpg
    473.1 KB · Views: 40
  • hask2018nmo4.jpg
    hask2018nmo4.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 35
  • hask2018nmo3.jpg
    hask2018nmo3.jpg
    227.3 KB · Views: 39
  • wlan2017emo1.jpg
    wlan2017emo1.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 35
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back