• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anyone else like Birds AND planes? (2 Viewers)

I've never seen a Lancaster. Do they sound like 4 P51's?

They have four Merlin engines and the sound is stunning. The first pic is one I took yesterday, not so good. The second pic a friend took is VERA, the Canadian Lancaster.
FJ I was at Bowling Green when I heard these beasts and drew the attention of the assembled gang - Spotted Crake, Temminck's Stint and two Lancasters. Top quality day! :t:

Attachments

• DSCN3989 (800x459).jpg
    DSCN3989 (800x459).jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 114
  • GetAttachment[1].jpg
    GetAttachment[1].jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 119
That's a very fine bonus! I briefly considered hitting Bowling Green Marsh in the evening but I had a long enough day without it.

Couple more of the two Lancasters:

John

Attachments

• 2014_08_23_Dawlish_Two_Lancasters (14) (800x533).jpg
    2014_08_23_Dawlish_Two_Lancasters (14) (800x533).jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 131
  • 2014_08_23_Dawlish_Two_Lancasters (17) (800x533).jpg
    2014_08_23_Dawlish_Two_Lancasters (17) (800x533).jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 121
You people are very lucky to have them together! I live only about 60 k. from VRA's home base in Hamilton, so I have seen it a couple of times. But never two together...

I saw them at Headcorn last Saturday, superb sight and sound. Here a pic taken with my crap camera - 9 Merlins and a Griffon. I did though manage to get some nice video clips of them coming head on, an unforgettable sight.

Attachments

• IMGP0616.jpg
    IMGP0616.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 127
You people are very lucky to have them together! I live only about 60 k. from VRA's home base in Hamilton, so I have seen it a couple of times. But never two together...

All my life Lancaster has meant PA474. Seeing two together was.... well, I've stopped crying now.

Chris D: Vera makes occasional expeditions into the lower 48, I expect its possible to check an airshow calendar on the web and find out where the nearest one is each year. I've seen pix of her in the USA formating with a Spitfire, Hurricane and Mosquito, which is pretty awesome!

John

That's a very fine bonus! I briefly considered hitting Bowling Green Marsh in the evening but I had a long enough day without it.

Couple more of the two Lancasters:

John

Love that 2nd image. Never seen two Lancs together.

Always admired the bomber crews of Lancs or B17's who had such a high attrition rate compared to their equally heroic fighter pilot comrades. The sound of 2 Lancs together must be something special - never mind a squadron of them!

Just thought I'd mention that birdforum has a sister site for aviation, with a gallery to upload to. It's been running for a few years now but has quite low activity. Feel free to join the site, say hello and maybe add a piccy to the gallery there.
http://www.aviationnostalgia.com/

regards,
Andy

A number of years ago on a quiet warm Sunday afternoon (believe it was June prior to the Queens Birthday), I was walking through Lincoln's Inn fields (central London)...when all of a sudden!...a thunderous roar broke the silence ''erecting'' the hairs on my neck instantaneously, as I turned round to find a Lancaster, flanked by a Spitfire and Hurricane flying at rooftop! The sound from those Merlin engines (one on the Spit.and four on the Lanc.) reverberating off the buildings/ground, made the sound of the celebrated Harley Davidson at full throttle through the capital's canyon streets a mere...pip-squeak! Ah yes I remember it well.

Caught up with the two Lancasters yesterday at Dawlish Airshow. If anyone who likes planes hasn't seen this pair yet, they will be at Bournemouth next Saturday and Sunday - on one of the days so will I....

Even better than twitching them was picking them upon call and seeing them fly east up the Solent over Keyhaven a few weeks ago. A bit of a blocker I understand as the Canadian one has now got engine problems? Obviously fixed now!!

Also bagged the Vulcan east over Needs Ore last weekend!

cheers, alan

Attachments

• IMG_4231.JPG
    IMG_4231.JPG
    165.6 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Even better than twitching them was picking them upon call and seeing them fly east up the Solent over Keyhaven a few weeks ago. A bit of a blocker I understand as the Canadian one has now got engine problems? Obviously fixed now!!

Also bagged the Vulcan east over Needs Ore last weekend!

cheers, alan

Saw the Lancasters on 24 Aug but now you mention it I did also get a glimpse of the Vulcan as I drove up the A3M from Farlington to Petersfield a few weeks back, probably something to do with the Goodwood festival of speed; all stunning aircraft.

Shuttleworth had their Pageant yesterday - forget the Lancasters......

This actual aeroplane won the 1934 Mildenhall to Melbourne Air Race in a time of 71 hours. It is also the lineal ancestor and origin of the design philosophy of the Mosquito.

It is also one of the most beautiful aeroplanes of all time.

John

Attachments

• 2014_09_07_Shuttleworth_Pageant_DH88_Comet (4) (800x533).jpg
    2014_09_07_Shuttleworth_Pageant_DH88_Comet (4) (800x533).jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 44
  • 2014_09_07_Shuttleworth_Pageant_DH88_Comet (14) (800x533).jpg
    2014_09_07_Shuttleworth_Pageant_DH88_Comet (14) (800x533).jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 49
  • 2014_09_07_Shuttleworth_Pageant_DH88_Comet (21) (800x533).jpg
    2014_09_07_Shuttleworth_Pageant_DH88_Comet (21) (800x533).jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:

This actual aeroplane won the 1934 Mildenhall to Melbourne Air Race in a time of 71 hours. It is also the lineal ancestor and origin of the design philosophy of the Mosquito.

Being an absolute novice with aircraft can someone please confirm the attached photo, which was taken on 6 July 2014 in Derbyshire, shows a Mosquito and the black & white 'markings' are related to D Day, allowing immediate identification of Allied planes (seem to remember I read this years ago)

Attachments

• Mosquito.JPG
    Mosquito.JPG
    39.4 KB · Views: 59
Papa, your aeroplane is a Douglas Dakota and the stripes are related to D Day. Unfortunately I don't think there are any Mosquitos currently flying in Britain at the moment.

James.

Papa, your aeroplane is a Douglas Dakota and the stripes are related to D Day. Unfortunately I don't think there are any Mosquitos currently flying in Britain at the moment.

James.
That seems a terrible shame ... it was one of the greatest aircraft ever to come out of the British aviation industry.

Being an absolute novice with aircraft can someone please confirm the attached photo, which was taken on 6 July 2014 in Derbyshire, shows a Mosquito and the black & white 'markings' are related to D Day, allowing immediate identification of Allied planes (seem to remember I read this years ago)

You are half right. Unfortunately it is the second half: there has not been an airworthy Mossie in Britain since RR299, BAe's example, crashed fatally at Barton in 1997.

There are two flying in North America, a fighter-bomber in USA and a bomber in Canada. It is the biggest hole in our British flying heritage. If I win the lottery I will sort it out.

The D-day stripes reflect the Allies' air superiority in 1944. Risks of friendly fire were far greater than the benefit of camouflage against a numerically far inferior enemy could negate. Instant, easy identification was therefore prioritised.

Your photo shows a Dakota.

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back