• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica 8x32 UV pleasant eye relief surprise (1 Viewer)

SeldomPerched

In due course I am keen to get myself some 8x32s. I know there are many who prefer the still available Zeiss 8x32 FL to the Leica Ultravids, and others who would swear by the Swarovski EL.

I read some very favourable reviews of the Leica offerings in this size and courtesy of Troubadour and Troubadouris in the summer was able to try out a Trinovid and Ultravid but all too briefly as we were trying out various bits of kit. The reviews love the colours and contrast and much vaunted Leica glow -- so did I, very much -- but also tend to mention the tricky eye relief resulting in Leica's presumed wish to keep their 32 offerings smaller and lighter than the competition.

By chance yesterday I saw an older pair of Ultravids (pre-HD) in my local shop and gave them a try out. To my surprise in view of the review comments they immediately felt right, were comfortable for viewing with no blackouts or messing with finding the right eye placement, and I had no trouble holding them effectively despite their extremely compact size. Unlike the FL I had earlier tried they just felt like an extension to my hands and eyes.

Now what I'm wondering is whether any of the proportions or eye relief measurements changed since Leica upgraded the optical spec to HD (white ULTRAVID HD lettering) and then again to HD plus (white ULTRAVID lettering with red HD initials). Because if not, those will be a definite buy at some stage!

I did also try earlier the Sw 8x32 EL offering but I'm not keen on flat field and though they are still a nice binocular they are too large for what I want when out running and hiking in the countryside, where compactness is everything - as well as image quality and a good experience of course.

Anybody know if anything has changed apart from the glass?

Tom

I love the 10x32 HD+, it's my everyday bino now, and I've tried the 8x32 as well. Not sure exactly which issue you're talking about, I can think of two: the eye relief is only about 13mm, not so good for some with eyeglasses but fine for me, and the eyecup depth is adequate. Then there's eye placement which is a bit on the finicky side, no getting around that, but even a Trinovid BN was like that and one gets used to it. And as you say it's the price paid for such small convenient size. I hope you'll enjoy whichever version you end up with.

Thanks, Tenex. I must be a lucky shape of face as I found no difficulty with eye relief or placement - perhaps that's why I confused the two.

Somehow I just found myself enjoying views and colours.

Tom

Hello Tom,

As was said in my youth, "Go with the flow!"

I think that an older generation used to say, "If the shoe fits, wear it."

Use the Leica well.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

Thank you, George; reassuring.
And Arthur, I appreciate you are always so upbeat - things like your comments always add to the enjoyment of using the kit in question!

All the best,
Tom

Hello Tom,

As was said in my youth, "Go with the flow!"

I think that an older generation used to say, "If the shoe fits, wear it."

Use the Leica well.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

Hello Arthur,

Just to let you know: in the spell of summery weather that's come to Britain this Bank Holiday weekend I have had a lot of good use out of the 8x32 UVHD+. Love the colours of the trees and blossom and the weathered stone buildings. Caught sight of a lot of creatures in the garden too. The shoe fits, all right!

All the best,

Tom

In due course I am keen to get myself some 8x32s.
snip---
By chance yesterday I saw an older pair of Ultravids (pre-HD) in my local shop and gave them a try out. To my surprise in view of the review comments they immediately felt right
snip---
Tom

That format is very appealing. The latest versions are super-sharp, if that helps.

Edmund

The Leicas I have owned and used have always matched my eyes perfectly (8x32 BNs, 8x32 Uvids, 10x42 BAs, 12x50 BNs, 8x42 Uvids, 10x25 Leitz) regarding eye relief w/o glasses, with the exception of 7x42 Uvids which have too much eye relief for me.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back