• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden/Yard List 2019 (1 Viewer)

January 12th - morning watch

A gloomy and drizzly session but brightened up by

44. Mediterranean Gull - slowly drifted SW.

A garden (and town ) tick to boot. Double-figures of BHGs are attracted to the back of a nearby restaurant so it might hang around.

Climb an impressive one with a predictable Raven .,

16.Common Raven

Lots of snow, lots of woodpeckers at thw feeders, an additional Middle Soot joined the group today.

A wonderful addition to the list, provided that nocturnal heard only birds are allowed.

20. Great Horned Owl

A male and female duetting delightfully close by!

Yes! heard only’s are allowed bm, one of the few US 🦉 that I’ve seen, and a most impressive one at that!

Cheers

Two today:-
27 Eurasian Sparrowhawk 12 Jan 2019
28 Long-tailed Tit 12 Jan 2019

Having got fed up waiting for any light, I snapped a few pics today so 5/28 photographed. Patch yearlist is 55/88 but there have now been 17 species on my patch this year that I have not seen yet....

All the best

Paul

Attachments

• C Blackbird 002.jpg
    C Blackbird 002.jpg
    423.1 KB · Views: 19
  • C Blue Tit 001.jpg
    C Blue Tit 001.jpg
    330.2 KB · Views: 17
  • C Goldfinch 001.jpg
    C Goldfinch 001.jpg
    356.8 KB · Views: 20
  • C LTT 001.jpg
    C LTT 001.jpg
    508.3 KB · Views: 18
  • C Woodpigeon 001.jpg
    C Woodpigeon 001.jpg
    411.3 KB · Views: 15
Double whammy this am, two flybies:

Lesser Black-backed Gull

And

WAXWING ! - 1 or 2 birds fighting strong winds

41 I think

Finally after two years waiting garden ticked the little egret that frequents the park stream across the road when it flew over this morning. It has been there for ages but not visible from the house. First time I have seen ithe flying over the garden

Hello and a Happy New Year to you all .
Midday I saw from the window a beautiful red Kite on a very low descent and very close .
About 20 birds who are usually here from December or first week of January to mid March havent arrive .
1. House Sparrow over 40 most here all year
2. Robin.
3. Dunnock
4. Black Bird
5. Collared Dove
6. Magpie
7. Crow
8. Red Kite
9. Cattle Egret
10. Grey Heron
11. Chaffinch
12. Blue tit only 2 this time
13. Great tit only 2 this time
14. Longtailed tit 1 seen since yesterday

Usually in my garden every winter about 16 tits , several green finch ,several chaffinch , chiff chaff 2,black cap 2, red black starts 2 or 3 . Last winter also hawfinch 2 ,goldfinch 2 ,

Last edited:
47: and you can't blame me for this one - you know I'd rather not count them....Feral Pigeon.

This puts me way above half of all my possibles - in the first 2 weeks of the year!

Don't worry, Jos, you'll overhaul my list soon enough - Spring as your land and skies fill with dozens of excellent birds.

47?!!! Took me until May 4th to get to 47 last year! Well- I'm still submitting my request for a wintry wonderland drum-roll - I've made it to double figures!

1. Black-capped Chickadee
2. White Breasted Nuthatch
3. Red Breasted Nuthatch
4. Hairy Woodpecker
5. Downy Woodpecker
6. American Crow
7. Common Raven
8. Barred Owl (not seen til the end of March last year)
9. Bald Eagle
10. Wild Turkey

Some very notable absences: Blue Jay (big migration South this year, seen some in the area, but not in the garden), and Junco + Goldfinch that I've not seen anywhere since November - both seen on January 1st last year. On the other hand, both Pine and Evening Grosbeaks seen locally already this year, which I didn't see at all in the previous 3 years. Also a Rough-legged Hawk seen very nearby, which was brand new to my Green Patch list.

Dad (Jabberwocky) is on around 30 back in Norfolk. Internet woes currently.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back