• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Back-Yard Bird Watcher (1 Viewer)

Thomas Thorn

Backyard Bird Watcher
Greetings from Rimouski, Quebec.

In the past few years I have listed 39 different birds visiting my back-yard in the city. I began installing feeders and I was impressed by the number of birds that visit each day. I feel that I am probably helping many starving birds complete their migration routes. Hundreds of Redpoll's, Pine Sisken have already eaten 10 kg of black sun flower seeds. Also present are the Purple Finch, Dark-eyed Junco, American Goldfinch, Rose-breasted Grosbeak, Evening Grosbeak, Red-breasted Nuthatch and Ceder Waxwing. Soon the Warblers, Swollows and Hummingbirds will be here.

Thank you,
Thomas

Hi Thomas and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

You sure have a mouth-watering selection of birds visiting your yard - very jealous!!!

Hi there Thomas and a warm welcome to you from me in Myrtle Beach :t:

Please join in wherever you like.

Welcome to BirdForum! I am sure you will find lots to interest you here, and I hope you enjoy your visits.

Interesting Observations

Hello again, News from a Back-Yard Bird Watcher :

I have some interesting observations:
A male purple finch arrives everyday with his herem of 5 females.
He remains most of the time on a top branch of the maple tree above the feeder protecting his territory. I observed a female purple finch stuff her pouch with sunflower seeds. She joined the male on the branch and allowed him to eat some of the seeds from her pouch !

I constructed a bird feeder that allows only the migratory birds to enter.
The dome or top is a 12 inch galvanized ventilation cap. The bottom is a 10 inch plastic vent grill. Four 1/4 inch rods suspends the two pieces. The feeder is wrapped with chicken wire allowing only a 2 inch space above the feeding tray. The small birds can feed without being disturbed by grackles and starlings.

This winter I started painting some of my favorite birds in watercolor.
I just wanted to share this fantastic new hobby. It really boosts the moral !

Attachments

• Custom Bird Feeder.jpg
    Custom Bird Feeder.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 5
  • Some Birds  in Watercolor.jpg
    Some Birds in Watercolor.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 7
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back