• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Benro TMA27C vs Audubon The Birder (1 Viewer)

Boogieshrew

Hi all,

Following on from by thread about 2 section tripod legs, I have another question for you on my quest for scope stability.

Benro TMA27C Carbon Fibre Tripod Legs or Audubon The Birder

Which legs are most stable?

With shipping from the States added to the Birder, they work out about the same cost for me.

Are 2 section aluminium legs more stable than 3 section carbon fibre legs?

Best wishes

These seem pretty evenly matched, fold to 24 and 26 inches respectively, leg diameter max 1.1 and 1.25 inches, weight 3 versus 4 pounds.

The Amazon USA reviews of the Benro are generally very favorable, but there are some complaints about quality control.
https://www.amazon.com/Benro-Mach3-Carbon-Tripod-TMA27C/dp/B00YEU9GK2
There are no independent reviews of the Audubon unit that I could find, it seems to be an Audubon exclusive.

My $0.02 is that the aluminum unit will be more stable, having only one joint and thicker tubing.

These seem pretty evenly matched, fold to 24 and 26 inches respectively, leg diameter max 1.1 and 1.25 inches, weight 3 versus 4 pounds.

The Amazon USA reviews of the Benro are generally very favorable, but there are some complaints about quality control.
https://www.amazon.com/Benro-Mach3-Carbon-Tripod-TMA27C/dp/B00YEU9GK2
There are no independent reviews of the Audubon unit that I could find, it seems to be an Audubon exclusive.

My $0.02 is that the aluminum unit will be more stable, having only one joint and thicker tubing.

Yes they are quite well matched.
I think the deciding factor is whether the extra 1lb is actually worth the possible extra stability of only 2 section legs.
I think I will have a look at the Benro in a local shop to help my decision.

I do really like the idea of 2 section legs though. The internet is full of 4 and 5 section legs which seems like a lot of overkill to me.

Yes they are quite well matched.
I think the deciding factor is whether the extra 1lb is actually worth the possible extra stability of only 2 section legs.
I think I will have a look at the Benro in a local shop to help my decision.

I do really like the idea of 2 section legs though. The internet is full of 4 and 5 section legs which seems like a lot of overkill to me.

The weight differential would be small for the whole setup. After including head and optics, the weight is likely to be close to 10 pounds in either case.
I use 4 section tripods only because they fold down small enough for travel, but they are just marginal as a platform. Fewer sections whenever possible is better though, at least imho.

All else being equal, the more sections the less rigid a tripod is expected to be, but design/materials/quality can more than compensate when making specific comparisons. I love the 4 section tripods from RRS. They maintain very large tube diameters in the bottom sections, and the joints are very rigid. In the "Long" models, the bottom section is needed only when the tripod is set extremely high, so they effectively operate as 3 section tripods in most use.

--AP

The weight differential would be small for the whole setup. After including head and optics, the weight is likely to be close to 10 pounds in either case.
I use 4 section tripods only because they fold down small enough for travel, but they are just marginal as a platform. Fewer sections whenever possible is better though, at least imho.

I look at the extra lb somewhat differently. From a backpackers perspective. At the end of a long days birding that 1lb will feel like 10!

If I can have the same stability with 1lb less weight I’ll take it. If the price of that lb saving isn’t too high of course. Money always being another factor 😊

All else being equal, the more sections the less rigid a tripod is expected to be, but design/materials/quality can more than compensate when making specific comparisons. I love the 4 section tripods from RRS. They maintain very large tube diameters in the bottom sections, and the joints are very rigid. In the "Long" models, the bottom section is needed only when the tripod is set extremely high, so they effectively operate as 3 section tripods in most use.

--AP

Large section lower sections soun£ good but Shoah their pricey! I bet there nice tripods.

I look at the extra lb somewhat differently. From a backpackers perspective. At the end of a long days birding that 1lb will feel like 10!

If I can have the same stability with 1lb less weight I’ll take it. If the price of that lb saving isn’t too high of course. Money always being another factor 😊

I'd not appreciated the backpacking aspect. Every pound does indeed matter when it must be carried all day.
That said, I'd wonder whether the bulk of the Benro or the Audubon would not be as much of an issue. A two foot plus long lump is no fun to hang on a backpack. Perhaps a more compact model such as Alexis pointed out might be more compatible on the trail.

I’ve never put in or attached a tripod to my backpack. It’s always on a shoulder strap or actually resting on my shoulder or recently on a mule pack. Size has never been an issue. I’m more interested in the least number leg sections and stability for my Nikon EDG 85. A heavy scope.

If really want to go light it’s a Nikon ED50 on a shoulder stock. Bliss for the shoulders ��

As the only person here who has used a Birder tripod (for a little under 13 years), I'm interested in how this turns out. Please keep us in the loop.
Best,
Mike

As the only person here who has used a Birder tripod (for a little under 13 years), I'm interested in how this turns out. Please keep us in the loop.
Best,
Mike

Will do. The cost of shipping is high so that’s why I’m asking more questions. Trying to work out if it is worth importing. The cost of importing the Birder is the same as buying the lighter cfBenro.

Decisions decisions.........

I’ve never put in or attached a tripod to my backpack. It’s always on a shoulder strap or actually resting on my shoulder or recently on a mule pack. Size has never been an issue. I’m more interested in the least number leg sections and stability for my Nikon EDG 85. A heavy scope.

If really want to go light it’s a Nikon ED50 on a shoulder stock. Bliss for the shoulders ��

I have the ED50 angled and a Cullman shoulder stock.
It works ok, but not great. Possibly an ED50 straight would work better, but for me, the combo only works with the Nikon 16x or at most the 20x eye piece. Anything more just magnifies the jitters, so then it is time for a tripod.

Separately, good on you for the EDG 85! I've often thought of one in the VR version, because it seems to me still the best scope currently available.
Sadly Nikon went out of the alpha scope business and I'm not travelling enough to need one.

Yes I use the 16x on the ED50. I love it. Great view. Wide bright contrasts and easy to hold steady. Good on a monopod as well as shoulder stock. I keep the 27x in my pocket just in case but seldom use it.

As for the edg85. It’s fantastic.ive wondered about the vr but it’s even heavier and very expensive. I’d like to have a look through one.

Well, I bought last night a secondhand Davis and Sandford Magnum tripod after reading on here that it is the same as The Birder.
I’ll let you know how it is when it arrives. It’s got a D&S head on it.
Hers hoping it’s a goodun!

I got to look at a TMA27C with a Manfrotto 500A head on it. They were supporting a Swarovski ATX85 with binoviewer which is about the same weight as a Nikon edg85. The tripod and head are very nice indeed. The tripod is surprisingly stable given its relatively low weight and the head is very smooth vertically and horizontally. Much nicer than my veil on Sherpa and ancient manfrotto tracker (myold school green antique!).

I got to look at a TMA27C with a Manfrotto 500A head on it. They were supporting a Swarovski ATX85 with binoviewer which is about the same weight as a Nikon edg85. The tripod and head are very nice indeed. The tripod is surprisingly stable given its relatively low weight and the head is very smooth vertically and horizontally. Much nicer than my veil on Sherpa and ancient manfrotto tracker (myold school green antique!).

Careful, TAS (Tripod Acquisiton Syndrome) is a virulent, persistent and not inexpensive illness, not easily cured. You appear to be susceptible, based on the evidence.

Easily acquired, yes, especially if you have had optics acquisition syndrome for many years.
Absolutely no doubt that I am susceptible ��

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back