• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID required pls (1 Viewer)

MrGMan

Hi can anyone give me any info on this beauty?
Found in Warwickshire UK a few days ago and have no ideas

Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_1158.jpg
    IMG_1158.jpg
    387.5 KB · Views: 63
Gosh. I'm a bit mindblown by that myself, as I have no idea. Will be interested to hear what others say. But just wanted to say had a quick run through your flickr gallery and enjoyed a fantastic array of brilliant wildlife shots. Well done.

As bizarre as it sounds, the shape and structure of the wings look Green-veined White-ish to me?

Last edited:
To me it doesn't look like something that would be part of the livestock of a butterfly farm.
To me it could just be a Small White where something has 'gone wrong' during the pupation/emergence, giving the underside of the wings this intense colour . The wings have also not expanded properly, hinting at an emergence issue, as with the black spots at the end if the viens (genetic problem or leakage when explanding?).
Quite stunning regardless.
Martin

For anyone that's interested in this ID it has now been confirmed that its a Mylothris species from Africa.
Escapee from Stratford butterfly farm that they are aware of and will try and catch it before the cold kills it.

For anyone that's interested in this ID it has now been confirmed that its a Mylothris species from Africa.
Escapee from Stratford butterfly farm that they are aware of and will try and catch it before the cold kills it.

Many thanks for the update.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back