• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

help with ID (1 Viewer)

tripod123

this is not a good photo but I think its a Eurasian Wigeon

Attachments

• wiggin.jpg
    wiggin.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 217
  • wiggin-1.jpg
    wiggin-1.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 213
Dave B Smith said:
Definitely a drake Eurasion Wigeon. Congrats, I'm still looking for my first one here!
thanks Dave first time iv seen one its not a good shot but you take what you can get he was in with a lot of American Wigeons hope that helps

We may have to wait until our friends across the pond weigh in on this one to see if it is a pure Eurasian Wigeon or perhaps a hybrid. (I suspect there might need to some vermiculations on the sides of the bird to make it more "Eurasian").

It is definitely not an American Wigeon.

For me this seems to be a hybrid (to what degree American or Eurasian, I can't say with any amount of certainty). The first thing most birders'll look for is that rufousy-orange face, but what's important to note are the patchy cheek, defined eye-line, more white than buffy forehead, and the pink-orangy fluidness to the flank coloration. The hybrids between these two species are variable. Check out some of these:

http://www.azfo.org/gallery/eurxamerScottsdale.html
http://www.azfo.org/gallery/eurxamer.html
http://www.birdphotographique.com/i...nwigeon-20050313-54-bc-r0913-wppdorus-500.jpg
http://www.birdphotographique.com/i...nwigeon-20050313-55-bc-r0914-wppdorus-500.jpg
http://www.rshantz.com/Animals/Birds/DuckLike/HyWigeon/HyWigeon.htm

Hi All,

Perhaps my eyes are deceiving me, but I see two different males in these pictures. The first one is a Eurasian Wigeon and the second one is a hybrid.

Chris

Chris Benesh said:
Hi All,

Perhaps my eyes are deceiving me, but I see two different males in these pictures. The first one is a Eurasian Wigeon and the second one is a hybrid.

Chris

Huh! I dismissed it as maybe a light issue before, but considering the head and the flank differences now, I think you're right, Chris. Most of my comments regarding hybrid where referring to photo2...

1 = Eurasian, 2 = hybrid

eurasian wegion,perliactic migrant to east africa?

Dave B Smith said:
Definitely a drake Eurasion Wigeon. Congrats, I'm still looking for my first one here!

Okey,just wanted to find out if the eurasian wegion you are talking of is the Anas penelope.we get them here during the winters up there,mainly between Nov-feb.

The second is definitely a hybrid- you can see the combination of patterns on the head- the first looks pure but i have a nagging suspicion about it but cant put my finger on why- considering how many thousands of Eurasian Wigeon ive scanned this winter looking for the American variety :)

Hotspur said:
The second is definitely a hybrid- you can see the combination of patterns on the head- the first looks pure but i have a nagging suspicion about it but cant put my finger on why- considering how many thousands of Eurasian Wigeon ive scanned this winter looking for the American variety :)

I agree the second is a hybrid, the first looks OK to me. Can the finder please explain how he photographed two obviously different birds and presented them initially as one?

John

Farnboro John said:
I agree the second is a hybrid, the first looks OK to me. Can the finder please explain how he photographed two obviously different birds and presented them initially as one?

John
My mistake when i posted I didnt releize they were different sorry. I looked at Flickr for Eurasian Wigeon at ALL of them and wow you might change your mind maybe about the hybrid maybe not.

Last edited:
tripod123 said:
My mistake when i posted I didnt releize they were different sorry. I looked at Flickr for Eurasian Wigeon at ALL of them and wow you might change your mind maybe about the hybrid maybe not.

The hybrid is definitely not a Eurasian Wigeon, and I cannot see any reason it is not American x Eurasian Wigeon. The other bird has everything in place for Eurasian Wigeon and, while I can see Hotspur's point that the jizz is somehow not perfect, I think it's just an odd angle and for me this is a Eurasian Wigeon.

Graham

tripod123 said:
this is not a good photo but I think its a Eurasian Wigeon

Tripod, your bird is definately a drake American x Eurasian Wigeon hybrid. Note the flank colour and two-tone pattern on the side of the head.

Bamiller_birder said:
Tripod, your bird is definately a drake American x Eurasian Wigeon hybrid. Note the flank colour and two-tone pattern on the side of the head.
OK thanks guys Im a rookie just starting

Two-bird theory

tripod123 said:
OK thanks guys Im a rookie just starting

Um, I'd go with the two bird theory.

The first pic shows a Eurasian Wigeon.

The second bird is most certainly an American x Eurasian hybrid. We get stacks of those hybrids over here in Japan, when isolated drake American Wigeon pair up with female Eurasian and go crazy producing hybrid young.

The first bird may look more like the Eurasian Wigeon we get in Japan, which have a hint of green in the face. Guess if the pics were taken in Seattle, then chances are it is a wandering Eurasian Wigeon from Asia.

Sean
Hiroshima :bounce:

Chris Benesh said:
Hi All,

Chris

No your eyes dont deceive you these have got to be two different birds and your right pic 1 Eurasian Wigeon
pic 2 Eurasian X American

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back