• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Loch Garten Ospreys (1 Viewer)

A CHAPLIN

Hi,

Just thought I would let everyone know the diary has just been updated. Talk about nail biting dramas, who needs tv with Henry and EJ around, they have you sitting on the edge of your seats, or they do me but I am their biggest fan.

The Osprey Fanatic

Ann

Thanks for that Ann :t:

I had missed the update. Still a chance yet then for this year. The imaginative writing in the diary is certainly entertaining!

Hi Ian,

It is definitely gripping stuff I am sitting on the edge of my seat wondering what will happen next. Can't remember the last time anything on tv did that.

It is great I am on holiday and am sure I saw EJ this morning but not the two of them together, it is such good weather I have been outside all day.

Ann

Visited the visitor centre again yesterday in gorgeous weather. EJ and Henry seem to have made up again. They have been busy mating since Friday and Henry has been providing plenty of fish.
According to the warden if EJ hasn't laid any more eggs by next weekend we can probably say that time is up for this season. Although you never know with these two! ;)

Paul F

Paul F said:
Visited the visitor centre again yesterday in gorgeous weather. EJ and Henry seem to have made up again. They have been busy mating since Friday and Henry has been providing plenty of fish.
According to the warden if EJ hasn't laid any more eggs by next weekend we can probably say that time is up for this season. Although you never know with these two! ;)

Paul F

Cheers for the update Paul. Hope you had a good day. The weather looks terrible on the webcam today. Yet was reading in the papers today that they had a hillside fire near Avimore yesterday, caused by scortching tempretures.

Paul F said:

Paul F
Yes the 22nd May is the latest date for osprey eggs being laid in Scotland.

kas said:
Cheers for the update Paul. Hope you had a good day. The weather looks terrible on the webcam today. Yet was reading in the papers today that they had a hillside fire near Avimore yesterday, caused by scortching tempretures.

Yeah the fire was really big. I hope they have managed to stop it spreading and it's now out -it was REALLY close to the town - on the hillside to the west of the ski road junction. You could see the walls of fire and a helicopter was dropping water on it. The area affected would have been a couple of square km. I hope most of the wildlife got away from the heat and smoke. Any unfledged chicks wouldn't have stood a chance.

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the report that's great news.

Strange to read it was so hot there was a fire near Aviemore because of the heat, it is so cold here we may have frosts again this week.

I do hope the fire wasn't started carelessly or deliberately wildlife have a hard enough time as it is at in spring, trying to raise their young.

Thanks again.

The Osprey Fanatic
Ann

A CHAPLIN said:
Hi Paul,

Thanks for the report that's great news.

Strange to read it was so hot there was a fire near Aviemore because of the heat, it is so cold here we may have frosts again this week.

I do hope the fire wasn't started carelessly or deliberately wildlife have a hard enough time as it is at in spring, trying to raise their young.

Thanks again.

The Osprey Fanatic
Ann

Yes it was a really weird day here Sunday. I was in the forest and commented just how tinder dry everything was and you could feel the heat coming off the heather.
I suspect all activity with the fire may well have disturbed the local Peregrines though.
Ironically it's snowing today here in Nethybridge with below freezing temps forecast tonight. Ben Wyvis near Dingwall has a fresh covering of snow looking more like mid winter so do the Cairngorms. Crazy weather.

John.

jpoyner said:
Yes it was a really weird day here Sunday. I was in the forest and commented just how tinder dry everything was and you could feel the heat coming off the heather.
I suspect all activity with the fire may well have disturbed the local Peregrines though.
Ironically it's snowing today here in Nethybridge with below freezing temps forecast tonight. Ben Wyvis near Dingwall has a fresh covering of snow looking more like mid winter so do the Cairngorms. Crazy weather.

John.

EJ seems to be spending a lot of time on the nest. Is she about to lay again?

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back