• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Durham Birding (4 Viewers)

Year tick

Managed to get a Garden Warbler at Waldridge Fell last night, haven't seen one for a few years so it was a nice surprise. Also managed to get good numbers of Yellowhammer, Linnet, Mpipit, Skylark, Long Tailed Tit, Blackcap and a pair of Stonechat.
There looked like there was a few waders on the ponds towards Pelton Fell, but without a scope I couldn't make them out, possibly Common/Green Sandpiper.
I'm off to Brasside Pond tonight for an hour or so, will also have a look along Low Newton NNR as you can usually get Green Woodpecker.
B :)

Brasside Pond

One of my favourite Durham sites and one of the least known Durham sites.
Decided to spend an hour down there tonight before my tea and managed to get:

Canada Goose with young
Great Crested Grebe
Ruddy Duck
Herring Gull
Cormorant (Up to 15 birds roost here)
Mute Swan
Coot
Moorhen
Tufted Duck
Pochard
Chiffchaff
Blackcap
Willow Warbler
Reed Bunting
Swallow
Swift
Sand Martin
Mistle Thrush
Grey Heron
Chaffinch
Blue Tit
Dunnock
Mallard
Robin
Jackdaw
Rook
Wood Pigeon
Collared Dove

Haven't decided where to go this weekend, will probably decide when I wake up on Sunday morning.

Good luck to Stevie Evans in the Durham Bird race, lets hope they get the magical 150.

Hi Skelly,

is this the "Brasside" that people fish on (Durham Angling Club) across the road from the prison, or is there another?

blythkeith said:
Hi Skelly,

is this the "Brasside" that people fish on (Durham Angling Club) across the road from the prison, or is there another?

Keith

I think the 'birding' Brasside is over the road from the DCAC Brasside - up some footpath alongside Frankland, but I've never wandered along myself.

Alan

Brasside Pond

Skellys Brasside is to the south east corner of Frankland Jail.
NB.This is a Private Site with No Public Access.

The smaller Angling Club water is on the north side of the Jail, again Private.
SE.

Bird Race.
Yesterday, Very Cold & Breezy day & that didnt help much.....our team total was 123 (midnight till 16:30)
I continued alone till 22:00 & totalled 136
The experienced Blackcocks triumphed with 137 (reporting the day as enjoyable but poor as birdraces go)
More details later.
SE.

Last edited:
Red Kite at Waldridge Fell

Skelly said:
Thought I'd create a new thread for those Birders in and around the Durham area, it'll probably go down like a lead balloon though.
Waldridge Fell was my birding choice for last night and tonight. Managed to get Green Woodpecker (1st for the year), Linnet, Yellowhammer, Willow Warbler, Chiffchaff, Grey Partridge, Mallard, Swallow, Swift and a pair of Wheatears.
I had a solitary Red Kite last Tuesday at the Fell, flew off towards Gateshead.
I'm going to try Chester le Street riverside tomorrow, to see if I can get Kingfisher, Dipper, Goosander and Grey Wagtail.
I did have a Wheatear at the Riverside Sports Complex the other night, it was sitting on the skip next to the running track which was a pleasant surprise.
I will try to update every day, that's if I get the chance to get out birding.
Please feel free to post your sightings and words of wisdom.
Til the next time.

Skelly, did you by any chance see the kite's wing tags - its number?
Any time you do see a kite, the Project Team at the Northern Kite Office in Whickham would appreciate a call.
As I have posted elsewhere, the 12 birds in the Barlow Burn/Rowlands Gill area are pretty settled, but the rest seem to be dispersing - one to Perthshire, one in the Barnard Castle area and one in the Blyth region.
My father was born in Waldridge Fell, so perhaps its time for me to spend some time in your neck of the woods......... a worthwhile journey in more ways than one.

June Atkinson said:
Skelly, did you by any chance see the kite's wing tags - its number?
Any time you do see a kite, the Project Team at the Northern Kite Office in Whickham would appreciate a call.
As I have posted elsewhere, the 12 birds in the Barlow Burn/Rowlands Gill area are pretty settled, but the rest seem to be dispersing - one to Perthshire, one in the Barnard Castle area and one in the Blyth region.
My father was born in Waldridge Fell, so perhaps its time for me to spend some time in your neck of the woods......... a worthwhile journey in more ways than one.

Didn't see the wing tag June and haven't seen a kite at Waldridge since.

Thanks Stevie,

I'm a member of the angling club that controls the more northerly water which is why I was asking - I've never actually seen anyone birding on there unless they're doing so while fishing too, which is what I usually do.

I know there's another larger pond by the jail, and I'm grateful that you've confirmed that this is the one with the birding interest.

Sunday Birding

Decided to have a couple of hours birding, seen as the weather was nice.
Started off at Bishop Middleham roadside pond, where I got Black Necked Grebe, Gadwall, Mute Swan, Shelduck, Shoveler and Corn Bunting (1st of the yr).
It was the first time that I'd been to Bishop Middleham and it seems to be a cracking site, will have to go there more often.

Then it was off down the road to Teesside (Still within the Durham Bird Club boundary for sightings).

Managed to get the Red Crested Pochard on Dormans Pool, a life tick for me. What a colourful bird it is and quite easy to spot today. Also got Sedge Warbler, Whitethroat, Ruddy Duck, Pochard, Black Headed Gulls, loads of Gadwall on Reclamation Pond and Little Grebe.

I also got the Temminck's Stint on Back Saltholme, along with lovely views of a Yellow Wagtail. There was also Little Ringed Plover, Ringed Plover, Shoveler, Great Crested Grebe, Dunlin, Common Tern, Sandwich Tern, Wigeon, Teal, Shelduck, Mallard, Mute Swan, Canada Goose, Greylag Goose, Swallow, Swift, Sand Martin, Coot, Moorhen, Grey Heron and Gadwall.

Then along to Seal Sands, where I got the pair of Avocet, Curlew, Whimbrel, Bar-Tailed Godwit, Redshank, Oystercatcher and loads of Seals.

Good going Skelly. I was down there this afternoon for the same. A Garganey was on Back Saltholme too. There has been a two drakes, with at least one usually at the southerly end. One flew in whilst I was there onto the bay on the north of the Causeway.

The pair of Summer plumaged Slav Grebe seem to have moved on now from the Rec Pond.

I agree about Bishop Middleham, it's a very good area with birding sites all around the village. Might be a good spot for a Bird Forum mini-meet.

IanF said:
Good going Skelly. I was down there this afternoon for the same. A Garganey was on Back Saltholme too. There has been a two drakes, with at least one usually at the southerly end. One flew in whilst I was there onto the bay on the north of the Causeway.

The pair of Summer plumaged Slav Grebe seem to have moved on now from the Rec Pond.

I agree about Bishop Middleham, it's a very good area with birding sites all around the village. Might be a good spot for a Bird Forum mini-meet.

Durham Bird Club had a trip there on the same day as the Bird Forum mini-meet, unfortunately couldn't make it to either.

Just missed the Garganey on Back Saltholme by minutes.

I was amazed by the large numbers of Gadwall, seemed to be at least 20 knocking about, some with young on Rec Pond.

Race

Yesterday was a bit of a disapointment, but still thoroughly enjoyable.

Had a great start..... Leo at 00:02, with Tawny & Barn Owl seen before 00:30
The team (including myself) were knackered & wanted to pack in at 16:30 ! (i thought we'd be out for as long as poss...)
Left Tunstall Resevoir, Weardale, late afternoon with 123 species.
After dropping them off at home, i had a quick wash & cup of tea & went back out.
The day had been cold & breezy, but the early evening was mild & calm (perfect conditions! after a lousy day)

I added 13 other species, these were:-
Bullfich & BNGrebe
Stonechat at Waldridge Fell, Ch-le-St
Sparrowhawk !! over road Boldon Flats
Shag, Fulmar, Gannet, Razorbill, Manxie, Rock Pipit all Marsden
Corn Bunting singing bird at Stoneygate, Houghton
then sped down the A19 to add Whimbrel & Water Rail on N.Tees ( missed SEO x2! )

My total for day was 136.

The Durham Blackcocks had an enjoyable but poor Race day with 137. (their record is 146)

SPECiES LiST
RTD DABCHICK GCG BNG
FULMAR MANXIE GANNET CORM SHAG HERON
MUTE GREYLAG CANADA
SHELDUCK WIGEON GADWELL TEAL MALL PINTAIL SHOVELLER
POCHARD TUFT EIDER COMSCOTER GOOSANDER RUDDY
SPAR BUZZ KES PER
REDGROUSE BLACK GROUSE GREYPART PHEASANT
WATERAIL MHEN COOT
OYSTER LRP RINGO GOLD & GREY PLOVER LAPWING
SANDLING PURPSAND DUNLIN SNIPE WHIMBREL CURLEW REDSHANK COMMSAND TURNSTONE
YAFFLE GSW NUTHATCH TREECREEPER WILLOW LTTIT COAL GREAT BLUE
SKYLARK ROCK MEADOW & TREE PIPITS
REDSTART PIED FLY
WOOD WARBLER GRASSHOPPER SEDGE REED GARDEN & WILLOW WARBLERS BLACKCAP CHIFFCHAFF WHITETHROAT LESSER WHITETHROAT
TWITE RING OUZEL WHEATEAR STONECHAT
BLACK SONG MISTLE STARLING HOSPAR TRESPAR
WREN ROBIN DUNNOCK
CORN & REED BUNT YELLOWHAMMER LINNET
BULL GOLD GREEN CHAFF
DIPPER GREY PIED & YELLOW WAGTAIL
SISSKIN REDPOLL GOLDCREST
JAY MAG CROW ROOK JACKDAW
CUCKOO COLL & STOCK DOVES
WOOD & FERAL PIGEON

Missed Resident species:- RLPart, RBMerg, Kingfisher, Seo, Marsh Tit, Raven, Crossbill, Mandarin, Little Egret & Hen Harrier (plus Fieldfare) (all these def in County on Day)
Missed these summer visitors- Whinchat, Turtle Dove, Garganey,
Missed these waders :- Knot, Bar tailed Godwit
Missed these passage waders:- Black wit, Ruff, Greenshank, Spotshank, Wood, Green Sands.

At the start of the week all these were present:- Great White Egret, Little Gulls, Black Tern, Marsh Harrier, Avocets, Slavonians, Beans, Pink feet
Others present today, but missed yesterday :- RCPochard, Temmincks, Avocet

Might have to do some prep next year.
(special mention to Skelly for input & help)
SE

Attachments

• BNG revised 103.jpg
    BNG revised 103.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 302
Last edited:
Good going Stevie, you've seen more in one day than I've seen this year so far.

We should have a BirdForum North East Bird Race, covering Northumberland down to Teesside, anyone up for it?

skel
i did 300+mile in durham alone......& ran out of time....
didnt go to gateshead for kites etc...
extending a race boundary to include the whole region might be a logistical nightmare.....?

Might try another one in autumn.
S

Leos

Mid May:
Several pairs of LEO now have young in the nest, with adults seen hunting in evening sunshine.
Over the next 3 to 4 weeks the volume & pitch of the youngs begging calls will increase (This is THE easiest way to locate breeding Leo's).
S

StevieEvans said:
skel
i did 300+mile in durham alone......& ran out of time....
didnt go to gateshead for kites etc...
extending a race boundary to include the whole region might be a logistical nightmare.....?

Might try another one in autumn.
S

Depends who's doing the driving.

I'd be up for one in the autumn, anyone else?

Good going Steve, you managed a very respectable total there :t:

It's a shame we don't do the global bird counts as I used to enjoy those, so maybe a Bird Race may be appealing.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back