• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Loch Garten Ospreys (1 Viewer)

Sandra (Taylor)

Wasn't it about this time last year that an osprey arrived at Loch Garten? And should I be getting excited? Bet they are at Loch Garten.

Sandra

Sandra (Taylor) said:
Wasn't it about this time last year that an osprey arrived at Loch Garten? And should I be getting excited? Bet they are at Loch Garten.

Sandra
EJ the female osprey arrived at Loch Garten on 29th March last year. Another female osprey (green 7B) arrived at Loch Garten on 25th March last year. This osprey was the same female who evicted EJ from her previous nest in 2003. Indeed green 7B has a historical link to the loch Garten nest in that she is a grand-daughter of Ollie the legenary loch Garten male from yesteryear.

Henry on the other hand was very late last year and did not get back until 25th April by which time EJ had already laid four eggs which had been fertilized by her ex-husband Orange VS before he made off. Now Henry was not having this and promptly got rid of the eggs. However EJ could not be persuaded to lay a second clutch in spite of being supplied with lots of fish. Indeed EJ disappeared for 9 days presumably in a sulk.

EJ arrived back from Africa on 25th March in 2004. Henry came back on April 3.

I have been checking the website daily still no sign. I just hope they are both safe I enjoyed watching and reading about them last year, can't wait for there return.

With the cold and snow still hanging around northern Scotland,they shall probably be back a little later than the last few years.

Hi Saphire,

Thanks for the update on the webcam. I have a day holiday tomorrow and now know what I will be doing, looking and watching for Henry and E J of course. I have followed their diary since it first began.

After last year's events I have deliberately not checked the site as regularly as I did waiting for their return was agony.

Now the webcam is up and running again I can wish them well and hurry up home, have a safe journey we miss you.

Ann

Osprey Fanatic :flyaway: :flyaway:

The ospreys are back at Loch Garten

From the RSPB's web site: http://www.rspb.org.uk/scotland/bir...ospreysback.asp

The ospreys are back!

The ospreys have returned for the breeding season at RSPB Scotland's Loch Garten Osprey Centre in Strathspey.

Two birds - a female known as EJ and a male, the ringed 'Orange VS' - were first spotted on Sunday afternoon (March 26), having come all the way from west Africa.

But after the trials and tribulations of the birds' breeding attempts last year, what they get up to in 2006 is anyone's guess and is sure to be followed avidly by the many visitors to the Centre and those who keep up to date with their progress via the osprey web diary.

In 2005, EJ mated successfully with Orange VS and produced a number of eggs but the male disappeared, leaving her to vie for the attentions of two other male ospreys. Sadly, despite many twists and turns in their soap opera, the ospreys failed to rear any chicks at Loch Garten last year - which makes the prospects for 2006 all the more exciting.

'Now we are awaiting the arrival of EJ's old flame Henry - if and when he shows up the fun will really begin''It's always great to get your first glimpse of the birds when they've flown all the way from Africa and there's a real sense of anticipation now about what lies ahead for the breeding season this year,' said Site Manager Richard Thaxton.

'They are magnificent birds to watch and their antics as they prepare to mate and rear chicks are fascinating. Now we are awaiting the arrival of EJ's old flame Henry - if and when he shows up the fun will really begin. Whatever happens, we're prepared for a gripping few weeks ahead.'

It is important that the newly arrived ospreys are allowed these first few days to settle-in, bond with each other and get used to the site once more. The Osprey Centre will therefore not open for public viewing until Saturday April 1.

Source: RSPB Scotland
27 March 2006

Loch Garten ospreys - 2006
Please note that the Loch Garten Osprey Centre reopens on Saturday, 1 April.

The osprey webcams and online diary will be back soon - keep checking the Scotland homepage: http://www.rspb.org.uk/scotland

You beat me to it Chris I'd just found the info
Brilliant news that the birds are back
Wonder what will happen when/if Henry returns ?
Heres to a successful less eventful breeding attempt B :) B :)

Last edited:
Saphire said:
Loch Garten Osprey webcam back online. I am watching and waiting.

Help I cant seem to be able to access it. It is in my favourites from previous years , but keeps saying the page I am looking for cant be found.

Is it me??? or is it not working? :brains:

PS. If anyone is interested, the Strathspey BF bash this summer starts at Loch Garten, so if anyone fancies comming see here

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=54316

Hi Saphire,

They are hoping to have the webcam on line today 1 April (what a date to pick) am keeping my fngers crossed. The Lake District site will be manned by volunteers from today too so hope the camera is up and running , rodents permitting they like chewing the cables, wonder if they think they are licquorice?

Hope you got to see the Newfoundland programme I did do a reminder on tv diary thread as promised.

Now all I want is Henry home even if EJ isn't missing him I am.

Ann :flyaway: :flyaway: Hurry up Henry please.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back