• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2020 (1 Viewer)

I was already in the area, so went to see the Barnacle Goose today. It’s surely of suspect origin, but it seems to be hearing no rings at least ;).

Hi Gregor, I was there too, why do you suspect of the origin of the barnacla, did you notice some strange? I was watching it 40 minuts, and no rings, no marks, perfects wings, away from people, feeling protected between some horses legs.

The behaviour of the barnacle goose in this side of the mediterranean is obviously wintering, but almost every summer some birds fly by the coast of Valencia, Catalonia or Balearics, it is the way they appear, stay some days and dissapear, more or less like the ruddy shelduck or ferruginous duck, they can appear any month.

Last edited:
SEVENTEEN SPRINGS- RARER BIRDS AT EASTER-
THOSE SEEN BETWEEN 9 AND 3 TIMES OUT OF 17
BEE-EATER
GREATER FLAMINGO
WATER RAIL heard only!
DUNLIN
COMMON TERN
WHISKERED TERN
PHEASANT
WESTERN SUBALPINE WARBLER
LITTLE BITTERN
MARBLED TEAL
CURLEW
PALLID SWIFT
TREE PIPIT
COLLARED PRATINCOLE
ALPINE SWIFT
SHORT-TOED LARK
COMMON STARLING
REED BUNTING (Witherbyi)
WIGEON
TUFTED DUCK
BLACK KITE
GRIFFON VULTURE
RINGED PLOVER
GREY PLOVER
WOOD WARBLER
MEDITERRANEAN (SPOTTED) FLYCATCHER
EGYPTIAN VULTURE
SPARROWHAWK
ELEONORA'S FALCON
OYSTERCATCHER
TURNSTONE
CUCKOO (heard only)
SPOTLESS STARLING
SISKIN

So, all that now remain are the very rare- at least at Easter- and I will give the times and places for all those seen only twice or once in 17 visits in the next episode.

Hi Gregor, I was there too, why do you suspect of the origin of the barnacla, did you notice some strange? I was watching it 40 minuts, and no rings, no marks, perfects wings, away from people, feeling protected between some horses legs.

The behaviour of the barnacle goose in this side of the mediterranean is obviously wintering, but almost every summer some birds fly by the coast of Valencia, Catalonia or Balearics, it is the way they appear, stay some days and dissapear, more or less like the ruddy shelduck or ferruginous duck, they can appear any month.

Hi Josep, I totally agree about the appearance and behaviour of the bird, and it's in suitable habitat too. I guess I suspect the origin because it's so far out of the native range in midsummer and given the large numbers of feral individuals now living across Europe. In my view it's more likely to be a wandering individual of the latter, indeed that's what we always assumed were the origins of Barnacle Geese seen in midsummer when I was living in the Netherlands and England (both countries have breeding feral populations). I have seen Pink-footed Goose in July in both countries though, which does suggest that wintering geese can sometimes stay the summer.

I agree it doesn't seem like a bird escaped from a collection, but I think it's likely it's wandered from a mainland European feral population, which actually would make it no less tickable than a genuinely wild bird. But you may well be right that it's wild, waterfowl do some incredible wandering! The record of Australian Shelduck from the Chagos Islands shows they're capable of anything!

A late evening walk around Mondragó produced at least five European Nightjars.
Three churring males and two females but there may have been more.
It’s obviously a good year for this species, last year I only heard one all summer.
They are one of my favourites, partly because I love their preferred habitat, but I also find that the waiting is exciting. To see one as we did this evening, lying along a branch against a fiery red sky is pure poetry.
I got it in my camera for a perfect shot but then for the first time ever, “battery exhausted” came up in the viewfinder.
There is always tomorrow.
Mike
Mike

It was another very disappointing evening at my local lighthouse with just 39 Scopoli’s and 9 Balearic shearwaters flying south. But then two little darlings came fluttering into view, dancing on the water, the Saint Peter’s bird, the European Storm Petrel.
They normally fly right through but tonight I watched them for ages, tip-toeing on the surface. How delightful and as I’ve been looking for them for weeks now, it was a very satisfying moment.
Mike

I have only seen two or three Bee-eaters this year at Son Bosc. There are usually quite good numbers there but this year they seem very poorly represented.
The strange thing is, I keep seeing two’s and three’s in Parc Mondragó, very unusual for this time of the year.
I’m wondering if they may be breeding nearby.
Red kite are now established in the park as a breeder as is Common Buzzard so it’s all good news at my local patch.
Mike

SEVENTEEN SPRINGS- VERY RARE-ONLY SEEN TWICE IN 17 EASTERS
(CRESTED COOT- seen since 2009 but when did they (if they have) become self-sustaining? Opinions welcome!)
BLACK-NECKED GREBE 25.iv.2000 and 10.iv.2008- both at Depuradora
WHITE-HEADED DUCK 18.IV 2000 and 7.iv.2004- male at Albufera (probably same bird- from failed re-introduction)
MONTAGU'S HARRIER 16.iv 2000 at Pollensa Park hotel and 14.iv.2003 10 at Boquer Valley
SPOTTED CRAKE 18.iv.2000 and 7.iv 2004 both at Albufera
TEMMINCK'S STINT 3.iv.2013 and 5.iv.2017 (2) both records at Albufera
BLACK-TAILED GODWIT 28.iii.2002 and 9.iv.2014 both at Albufera
WHIMBREL 24.iv. 2000 at Torrent San Jordi and 23.iv 2010 at La Gola
MARSH SANDPIPER 28.iii.2002 (3) and 9.iv.2008 (2) at Albufera
GULL-BILLED TERN 25.iv.2000 (2) at Salobrar de Campos and 22.iv 2003 at Albufera
TURTLE DOVE 19.iv. 2003 and 23.iv 2010 at Port de Pollenca
RED-RUMPED SWALLOW 8.IV 2004 at Pollensa Park Hotel and 1.iv.2016 at Maristany
BLACK-EARED WHEATEAR 25.iv.2003 and 11.iv.2015 both at Boquer Valley
ROCK THRUSH 27.iv.2000 and 18.iv.2003 both at Boquer finca terrace
REED WARBLER 18.iv.2000 and 10.iv.2016 both at Albufera
WHITETHROAT 16.iv.2000 AND 25.iv.2003 both at Boquer Valley
COLLARED FLYCATCHER 31.03 2002 Boquer foot by car park, and 2.iv.2016 Avinguda de Bocchoris (pine avenue)
All that now remain are the once only super rarities (for me at Easter anyway) so that will be the next episode

(CRESTED COOT- seen since 2009 but when did they (if they have) become self-sustaining? Opinions welcome!)

Hi Hugh
As I understand it (and I'm not sure if it was an introduction (possibly) or reintroduction) but on Mallorca, at S'Albufera, 20 captive-bred individuals were released in 2004 and others at s'Albufereta in 2007. What I've not checked is if any subsequent releases were done. In 2007 s'Albufera had 5 breeding pairs were recorded as raising 13 chicks. Most, if not all, of the released birds had the white neck rings.

It’s all gone rather quiet here, as is to be expected.
Migration is over and it’s a bit early for returning waders.
It’s also been a funny old year, for obvious reasons.
The strange thing is, I’ve just had a count-up of all the species I’ve seen this year, and my total is my highest ever.
All a bit strange as I couldn’t leave the apartment for at least eight weeks.
I guess I’ve seen a few species that I wouldn’t otherwise have encountered were it not for lockdown.
I missed so many really common migrants though, like Whinchat, Wood Warbler and even flaming Willow Warbler. I hope to catch up with them in the autumn but they are not as easy then.
If I manage that I should reach my target of 200 which is always very satisfying.
A few Brits are coming out soon which will be nice.
I look forward to seeing some of you later in the year too.
I hope everyone is well,
Mike

Rock Sparrow

It is always nice to comprove that the little colonies are still present one year more, in this case is the Rock sparrows colony near the Cap Blanc (south of Majorca), today I have seen at least 11-13 birds, leaving the cliffs to feed in the fields, and several chickens.

I am so glad one year more they survived the falcons and gulls in the cliffs.

Attachments

• 198 GorrioRoquer.jpg
    198 GorrioRoquer.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 98
  • 198 GorrioRoquerJove.jpg
    198 GorrioRoquerJove.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 79
A boat trip out today from Porto Colom was fun and I was amazed at the number of Pallid swift colonies that we saw.
The birds were swirling round and sweeping into the caves, of which there are plenty along the coast going south.
Common Swift can be seen in huge numbers in just about every village here. The young are on the wing but sadly they will depart all too soon. It’s a sad day when they go, like something is missing.
Mike

SEVENTEEN SPRINGS- THE RAREST OF ALL- SEEN ONCE
Caveat- this only refers to my Easter visits- many of these are common winter visitors I saw if they were late leaving one year, as well as the genuinely rare passage migrants. I also have missed some common summer visitors as the latest date I have been on Mallorca is 28th April- so I have never seen Honey Buzzard.
GANNET 9.iv.2007 at exit from Coves d'Arta
BITTERN 18.iv.2000 heard at Albufera
BLACK STORK 22.iv.2003 2 at Salobrar de Campos
WHITE STORK 7.iv 2013 over Pollensa Park Hotel
SPOONBILL 3.IV 2013 at Albufera
EGYPTIAN GOOSE 4.iv 2002 at Depuradora (status unknown- comments welcome)
COMMON SCOTER 1 and 3.iv 2017 at Maristany
RED-BREASTED MERGANSER 26.iii.2005 at Pollenca Bay
SHORT-TOED EAGLE 7.iv.2013 at Boquer Valley
HEN HARRIER 14.iv.2003 at Boquer Valley
PALLID HARRIER 6.iv.2017 at Albufereta
COMMON CRANE 10.IV.2013 at Albufera
GOLDEN PLOVER 6.iv 2007 at Albufera
LAPWING 23.iii.2005 at Albufera
KNOT 18.iv.2000 at Albufera
CURLEW SANDPIPER 17.iv.2003 at Albufera
JACK SNIPE 5.iv.2017 at Albufera
SLENDER-BILLED GULL 2.iv.2002 at Depuradora
LESSER BLACK-BACKED GULL 25.iii.2002 at Pollensa Bay
SKYLARK 2.iv.2007 flock of ca20 N through Albufereta
RED-THROATED PIPIT 9.iv.2014 at Albufera
EASTERN STONECHAT (variegata) 24th-28th.iii.2002 Pollensa Park Hotel grounds
SPECTACLED WARBLER 21.iv.2000 at Cuber Reservoir
GARDEN WARBLER 20.iv.2000 at Banys de la Font
GOLDCREST 3.iv.2015 at Alcanada
GOLDEN ORIOLE 23.iv.2000 at Postage Stamp Wood

THE END
(MALLORCA LIST 178- PLUS SACRED IBIS WHICH I DO NOT COUNT)
THANKS FOR PUTTING UP WITH ME OVER THE LAST 15 WEEKS!

Very interesting account Hugh.

We have been to Majorca several times starting in 1987 and always enjoyed our family and birding holidays

Sadly we won't be able to visit again so it is good to follow this thread and it was also good to read about your experiences and the places you have been.

Tony

Fantastic reading,Hugh.Thanks for posting.

This shall be the first time In 8 years,we shall not be visiting Mallorca.To make matters worse,we always fly out from Scotland on the first weekend of July :-C
Needless to say,I hope to be back as usual next summer,as I love the Island,It's people and It's birds

It seems that the Brown booby has taken up residence on the Island of Cabrera.
There is some stunning footage of it in flight.
I think it can be seen from Cap de Ses Salines as I often see Gannets flying by in the winter and they are quite visible even at that distance.
I will be there in the morning.
No sleep tonight then.
Mike

Last edited:
Sadly I’ve been too busy to be able to look for most of my remaining Mallorca targets in recent days, but I’ll be sure to try for each of them before I head off on the 8th, it feels very soon now!

Thanks to Josep and Mike’s directions, I was able to find the Rock Sparrows at Cap Blanc, at least eight of them by the cliffs, what beautiful birds they are. Also lots of Blue Rockthrushes and some Tawny Pipits there. The same day I went to Es Salobrar. Sadly no migrant waders there yet, but a wonderful number of Avocets and Black-winged Stilts with lots of young and four Flamingoes there too.

Besides that, my only birding has been in the form of regular trips to Bassa de Can Guidet and Prat de Sant Jordi every time I’ve been into Palma. There have been quite a few Green Sandpipers at both, as well as some Common Sandpipers at Can Guidet, so autumn migration is underway! The Barnacle Goose is still at Sant Jordi, along with two Glossy Ibises and a handful of other waterbirds. There’s a magnificent summer-plumage Black-necked Grebe at Can Guidet.

I’ve tried lots of times to find the White Storks around Sant Jordi/Casablanca but without luck, so if anyone has any advice on where to look it would be very much appreciated!

A Brown Booby would definitely be a nice bonus before I go!

Thanks��

Attachments

• CA41C486-2B2B-428C-9FDC-AD7499637221.jpeg
    CA41C486-2B2B-428C-9FDC-AD7499637221.jpeg
    486.3 KB · Views: 82
  • 28CE54F3-736C-421C-AD20-2AEB1A41B2F0.jpeg
    28CE54F3-736C-421C-AD20-2AEB1A41B2F0.jpeg
    409.4 KB · Views: 66
Nice photos Gregor.
How far did you have to walk from the lighthouse?
I was at the Cap de Ses Salines very early this morning.
There were a few Scopoli’s shearwaters and mixed gulls.
I had a sighting of a large bird flying towards me from far out but I lost it pretty much as soon as I got on it. It definitely wasn’t a gull.
I will be going every morning from now on and hope that it stays a while longer.
Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back