• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How does an egg hit my window? (1 Viewer)

Today I spotted an egg had been thrown at one of my windows, looking from inside there's a large orange smear on the glass, running down the glass.

I went outside to investigate and saw pools of yolk had gathered on the window-sill. It vibrated in the wind with no sign of congealing (although it is rather chilly outside today). Surprisingly I could find no sign of any eggshell on the floor, and the amount of yolk and other material on the glass and sill were too small to come from a hen egg (not that anyone would have any reason to throw eggs at my house).

After a quick look around, I saw a white object on the floor I thought might be white rose petals or a dropped issue, but upon closer inspection it was a broken eggshell - white, with small black dots, and much smaller than a hen egg. I concluded this must be the egg that hit my window.

I've attached photographs of the scene of the crime, and the eggshell itself. Can anyone identify it?

But how does an egg come into contact with my window? There are a number of large trees and bushes nearby that birds do have nests in, but I couldn't see any way wind could have blown an egg from a nest and into the window, in fact I couldn't see any nests at all (although it has been very windy lately). Surely if the egg was just blown in the wind it would harmlessly bounce off the glass and land on the sill or the ground below? And why was the shell over 1m away from the window on the floor?

The size of the smear on the window suggests the egg contacted with surprising force, almost as if it had been thrown; I did wonder if anther bird might have carried the egg (assuming birds can carry eggs) and smashed into the window (as they do) - except there's no sign of bird strike.

If anyone can identify the egg and suggest how strong the eggshell is, and if the damage to the eggshell suggests it was thrown at the window by a person, or if it's particularly fragile and being swept by the wind might do it.

I also note that there's a 1.8m high fence, if one were to throw an egg from outside of the fence only the top part of the window is really visible. So right now I'm really leaning towards the conspiracy theory that someone intentionally hit my window with a local bird egg for reasons currently unknown.

Any information appreciated :)

Attachments

• Eggshell.jpg
    Eggshell.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 144
  • Eggshell2.jpg
    Eggshell2.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 119
  • Sill.jpg
    Sill.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 161
  • Window.jpg
    Window.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 153
It looks like a woodpigeon egg to me (the black dots look like grit from the floor - the eggshell itself will be pure white). Are there any trees near your window that could have a woodpigeon nest in it? (they're just fairly crude twiggy platforms) If it's not plausible that the wind has blown the egg from a nest I would suggest a Magpie (or C. Crow) has dropped the egg having predated a nearby nest.

Hi - pretty much the same thing happened today to me. Yolk splattered all over the window and running down the window frame and side of the stucco wall of the house. Confounds me totally. The window is on my patio and there are no trees about. There is a 'resident' mourning dove nesting near the window, but this is the 4th nest this season and these doves don't smash eggs. The 2 eggs are hatched now and mom and dad are sharing nesting duties. When I got up today there was this mess on the window, no trace of any bird having flown into the window, a bit of broken white shell on the floor - How does an egg get smashed like that, with some force for sure, against the window? Any new ideas? This has me so puzzled. Finally was able to wash it all off with a mixture of vinegar and water and a scrub brush but it looked rather baked on already. It's very hot here in southern New Mexico and an egg could probably cook very well on my car! So I wanted to try to clean it up as soon as I could. I've seen lots of slightly bizarre things in my 18 years of living here and watching the birds do their thing, but this really is a first. It was quite interesting to find a post about this here since it so closely parallels what happened here. Any ideas?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back