• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lammergeier, Steppe birds, and lots more - Spain, May 2012 (1 Viewer)

sander_p

Spain, May 2012 - Lammergeier, Steppe birds, and lots more

Hey all,

I have a three day / two night trip booked with Catalan Bird Tours in Spain from Saturday, 26th to Monday, 28th May 2012. They can accommodate one or two more birders if anyone's interested in sharing costs (I certainly am! :)). I'd be very keen to extend it to a four day / three night trip, too, and am flexible on the extra location.

Check the site:
http://www.catalanbirdtours.com/spain birding migration.html

The current itinerary is (but as I said I'd be keen on a fourth day to pick up any missed targets or even visit a new location such as the Ebro Delta):

Day One: Llobegrat wetlands and Garraf Massif for Bonelli's Eagle, Penduline Tit, Collared Pratincole, Red-necked Nightjar, migrants, etc.

Day Two: Steppes for bustards, sandgrouse, Dupont's Lark, raptors, Great Spotted Cuckoo, Roller, etc.

Day Three: Pyrenees for Lammergeier, Alpine Chough, Citril Finch, Rock Thrush, etc.

I notice another birder from BirdForum, apbarr, has posted this on another thread,

"I'm just back from a shared trip with Stephen and can recommend his tours. He is very knowledgeable and good company, the packed lunches are also very good. I fully intend another trip with Catalan Bird Tours in the future."

So, if you're willing to join me, drop us a line. For more details, you can contact Stephen Christopher directly via his website - www.catalanbirdtours.com - or PM "Stephen C" on Bird Forum."

Cheers,

Sander
(Netherlands Centre for Biodiversity Naturalis / Xeno-canto.org)

Last edited:
Hi Sander
are you still looking for someone to join you on this trip? I've been liaising with Stephen over a trip, so if I can get the dates off this could work well. If the 4th day would be the 29th that would be ideal for me.
Do you know if bustards will still be displaying at this time or is it too late for that?
Best regards
Adam

Hi Sander
are you still looking for someone to join you on this trip? I've been liaising with Stephen over a trip, so if I can get the dates off this could work well. If the 4th day would be the 29th that would be ideal for me.
Do you know if bustards will still be displaying at this time or is it too late for that?
Best regards
Adam

Hi Adam,

Yeah, definitely still looking for someone to join. My fourth day would indeed be the 29th (I'm at a conference in Barcelona before the 26th).

Not entirely sure about the displaying little bustards. We should definitely see them, though. I'll get back to you on that.

Best,
Sander

Small update: we're now with two people (i.e. one space left) and extended it to a 4-day trip (possibly including Ebro Delta). This also means the costs p.p. have dropped for anyone interested. :)

Small update: we're now with two people (i.e. one space left) and extended it to a 4-day trip (possibly including Ebro Delta). This also means the costs p.p. have dropped for anyone interested. :)

Hi Sander

Are you still looking for someone? Maybe you can PM me more details incl. pricing? I'd be most interested in the steppe birds.

Rob

Just a little follow-up on the trip above. Adam (Dr_ADH), Rob (Arbu) and myself participated in this short Catalunya birding trip with Stephen from Catalan Bird Tours.

Visited the Garraf Massif and an area near Llobegrat delta (day 1; late morning and afternoon), Ebro Delta (day 2), steppes of Lleida and Los Monegros (day 3) and Pyrennees (day 4; without Rob, but with an American birder who joined from Barcelona for the day).

It turned out to be a succesful and enjoyable trip. Saw almost all targets in a relatively short time, with the exception of Rock Sparrow and Bonelli's Eagle (we had little time in the Garraf Massif).

Some highlights: Penduline Tit, Red-necked and European Nightjar, Cirl Bunting, Little Bittern (one of 7 species of heron that day), Little Crake, Collared Pratincole, Audouin's and Slender-billed Gull, Savi's Warbler, Little Bustard, Pin-tailed and Black-bellied Sandgrouse, Great Spotted Cuckoo, Roller, Stone Curlew, Dupont's Lark, Spectacled Warbler, Egyptian and Griffon Vulture, Lammergeier, Golden, Booted and Short-toed Snake Eagle, Citril Finch, Common and Blue Rock Thrush, Dipper, etc.

Very much recommended!

Last edited:
Sounds like you had a successful trip with some great species seen.
I'm going to go back at some point in the future to try and see the species missed on the first trip.

Hey
v late on this, but just to say had a great time. The sight of a little bustard bouncing up and down on the spot like zebedee will stay with me forever; one of those things you see in a video but never think you will with your own eyes. Wonderful. Loads of highlights as Sander said, sentiments echoed.
Its really all about the mornings, we didnt see a great deal in the afternoons. But truly great mornings, and Stephens spot of the Duponts was amazing; we would never have found it ourselves.
Even managed to find a long eared owl family near his home, the place is charmed!
A huge thanks to Stephen, he really knows his stuff and his 'manor' inside out.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back