• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2018 (2 Viewers)

Thanks Richard. Bit of a panic going on as so many Birders need to see Puffin.
I have only ever seen one and I’m probably at the Cap more than anyone. Mike

Haha, I was thinking about coming back...Pep will be a bit keen to see it.
A bit overboard to say it’s an “extreme rarity” but I’m still in shock. They are very difficult to see with very few reliable records. I hope others manage to see it.
Not sure where the news came that there are others here.
I was at the Cap recently and two visiting birders said they had seen seven Puffins. Turned out to be “puffinus” ie Shearwaters. Mike

Haha, I was thinking about coming back...Pep will be a bit keen to see it.
Mike

Yess! I never have seen it in Majorca, even it is not so extreme rarity on the sea, it is scarce; there are a group of puffins who stay the whole winter on the waters around the islands, but they are so small grups and so away fron the coast.

The very difficult is to see them from the coast, so these next days I will go out in a boat trying to see some on the open sea.

Last edited:
I hope you are successful Pep, I know how much you want to see one.
There is no doubt that the next day following high winds and storms is the best hope. Birds seek shelter and sometimes move towards the safety of local Calas.
I saw my one and only Puffin the day after a storm. It had been seen by Krister the day before so I got a tip-off.
Good luck to all those trying to connect.
No birds here in Shrewsbury to speak of but a female Merlín up on the moors was a nice bird. Also Red grouse, haven’t seen one of those for years. Mike

On the Puffin Trail - Part1
Wonderful drive from the North to the South of the Island.
The Almonds are in Blossom and spring flowers are blooming.
Saw at least 10 Kestrels on the way.
Stopped at PortoCristo and PortoColom for some sea watching.
Gulls, Gulls, Gulls, Audouin Gulls, Gulls, cormorants, Gulls, Gulls, Audouin Gulls, Gulls, Gulls. Balearic Shearwaters (several batches of upto 6 in each batch), Gulls, Thekla Larks, Sardinian Warblers, did I mention Gulls and 1 Gannet
Tomorrow trying at Mikes Hotspot ..Cap Salinas..Even he saw the Puffin there last year!

Last edited:
A Great Skua was reported at Porto Colom yesterday as well as Balearic Shearwaters and Gannets..
We are on the Trail!

Last edited:
John. Puffin is an extreme rarity in Mallorca. Where and when did you see it please? Mike
Hi Mike,
in between Cabrera and Cabo Salinas. Initially I thought it was a shark but as I approached he turned to face me. He was full of fish as he was nowhere close to leaving the surface when trying to get away from my boat. I know they are hopeless at flying but even more so when fully fed. Am heading out there manana so will keep my eyes open.

Puffin

Hi Guys,
I got the info on local Puffin locations from the "A Birding Tourist´s Guide to Mallorca" in the Species list and Status section at the back, it has the Puffins located in Cabrera and Cap de Ses Salines and sure enough that's where he was! But like Pep has mentioned, he was a way off. I was returning from trolling for tuna off the East of Cabrera and spotted him due south of Cap de Ses Salines at 4nm on my way back.
Tomorrow the weather is very similar to when I saw him last week, light winds and little cloud cover so perfect for spotting these types of surface animals. I assume there are a small group living on the east coast of Cabrera, probably on an off lying coastal rock; there are quite a few. I would suggest speaking with the guys on Cabrera who might know where they are. If I get a better photo manana, you guys will be the first to know.

One last thing for tonight, can anyone identify this little fella, he was feeding his chicks in the base of our algarrobo trunk?

P.S. I´ve seen hundreds of Puffins, in Norway, Alaska, Canada and UK so you can count on this as a confirmed sighting, not a shearwater :)

Attachments

• No se, bird feeding chicks in nest in carob trunk (8).jpg
    No se, bird feeding chicks in nest in carob trunk (8).jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 44
  • No se, bird feeding chicks in nest in carob trunk (9).jpg
    No se, bird feeding chicks in nest in carob trunk (9).jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Hi John. It’s a Great Tit, feeding chicks seems quite early but many species do begin reproduction at this time.
Thank you for all the information on the Puffin, it’s helps us all learn more about this species in Mallorca.
I didn’t know about a small population of them wintering off Cabrera. I have never heard mention of them by anyone so I assumed there was only the occasional sighting.
The Puffin I saw was flying east.
I think from your description of the location of your bird that it would not have been viewable from the coast.
Many people are now looking so let’s hope one comes a bit closer. Perhaps the locals will organize a boat charter to look for them. I hope so, so long as it’s not before I get back.
Good luck tomorrow, glad we will be the first to know! Mike

Thanks Guys, just to confirm the Great Tit photo is from May a few years back, one of my photos I had never had time to identify.
Thanks again

Another attempt yesterday at locating the Bullfinch in Orient but no such luck.
Instead, a few of the now more common birds with my personal record of 7 Hawfinches in one single tree. Fieldfares and Mistle Thrushes were feeding at their usual spot along with lots of Song thrushes. A cirl bunting and two Dunnocks joined the dozens of Chaffinches and House Sparrows. Two Blue Tits showed up in the trees overhead.
Then 19 Griffons and 4 Black Vultures ended the session.
Mike, The Dunnocks have been in the exact same spot every time I visited (4th now), in case you want to tick it off the list for this year when you return, right by the gate of the finca hotel Son Palou.

Thanks Patrick. I don’t know what it is with me and Dunnock. I didn’t see one all last year and Mike and I recently went to Son Real where they are plentiful but no joy.
I am planning a trip to Orient as soon as I get back.
It has been a great year for Fieldfare and Mistle Thrush, both of which I saw recently.
Seven Hawfinch together is a great total and maybe a record for a single group here.
Good birding to all, it has certainly been a very productive few weeks so far this year. Just wait until the migration gets under way. Mike

I hope you get to see the Dunnock and maybe you can add the Bullfinch to the list.
I need to correct my Hawfinch count as I thought some of them were Chaffinches through the binoculars until I inspected the photographs more closely. The count is 11 Hawfinches, not just 7! The attached picture is quite bad given the distance and ambient humidity on the day. So definitely a record for me, considering one of these would have made highlights in a "normal" year. Soon they will compete with the Starlings!

Attachments

• _D1_7568.jpg
    _D1_7568.jpg
    972.6 KB · Views: 59
That’s a great total Patrick. I’m sure you will be sending the record in to Carles for inclusion in the annual report.
I’m missing Mallorca like mad, especially with all this action. And I used to think winter birding in Mallorca was predictable! Not any more. Mike

In all the excitement, I forgot to say that on our recent trip to Son Real with Mike and Susan, we saw many butterflies on the wing, Speckled Wood, Small white, some unidentified Blues and a Cleopatra (is that right Mike?)
Mike

In all the excitement, I forgot to say that on our recent trip to Son Real with Mike and Susan, we saw many butterflies on the wing, Speckled Wood, Small white, some unidentified Blues and a Cleopatra (is that right Mike?)
Mike

Right..and recently saw Lang's Short Tailed Blue and Painted Lady.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back