• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

American Crow tracks? (1 Viewer)

carterdorscht

Found these tracks this morning in Desbarats, Ontario, Canada. Can they be indenfied to species? Would American Crow make the most sense?

Attachments

• received_10160072287850484.jpeg
    received_10160072287850484.jpeg
    86.6 KB · Views: 53
  • received_10160072287975484.jpeg
    received_10160072287975484.jpeg
    70 KB · Views: 44
Dear Sir
Looking at the width/length ratio of the tracks I think these are the Fish Crow rather than the American Crow.

That is extremely unlikely, due to location and date. If it were a Fish Crow, it would be the furthest north one has ever been located.

Dear Sir
Looking at the width/length ratio of the tracks I think these are the Fish Crow rather than the American Crow.

1) I don't think fish crow range into Ontario and 2) I'm uncertain whether you are joking or not? No disrespect intended:t:

1) I don't think fish crow range into Ontario and 2) I'm uncertain whether you are joking or not? No disrespect intended:t:

FYI, they have moved just into the southern parts of Ontario and apparently it's only a matter of time before someone finds evidence of a breeding pair. This location is 100s of kilometres north of there though.

Sorry you're right it must be American Crow at that latitude.
However one can tell by the relative shallowness of the depression of the imprints compared to others examined; that the bird that made them had an almost empty stomach.

Why are you all set on crow, if the bird was not seen?

I understand there were only the tracks in the snow.
So, how big is that key?

would a bluejay or something similar sized out of question?

It is a corvid, American Crow. Raven is more symmetrical, Blue Jay is smaller judging from the key chain on the photo. I however cannot give you 100% certainty.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back