• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

No retro Trinovids after all? (2 Viewers)

Danke schoen Hermann - very interesting discussion in that thread, especially the comments from Holger on the difficulty in reproducing the build quality of the Leitz versions, and that the 1960s era eyepieces, phase coating and improved light transmission notwithstanding, will not equal modern eyepieces in edge sharpness and correction of chromatic aberration. This Trinovid classic reissue is clearly a significantly more challenging project than most of us (and probably Leica themselves) initially thought - it'll be interesting to see what the final product, and its pricing, will be.

Last edited:
Danke schoen Hermann - very interesting discussion in that thread, especially the comments from Holger on the difficulty in reproducing the build quality of the Leitz versions, and that the 1960s era eyepieces, phase coating and improved light transmission notwithstanding, will not equal modern eyepieces in edge sharpness and correction of chromatic aberration. This Trinovid classic reissue is clearly a significantly more challenging project than most of us (and probably Leica themselves) initially thought - it'll be interesting to see what the final product, and its pricing, will be.

Seems that the Leica retro design philosophy pushed things a bit too far this time.

The Juelich forum discussion suggests that Leica used to have technicians that fine tuned the mechanicals, but that these skills were lost as the people retired.
Restarting the classic Trinovid line is consequently proving much more challenging. Hence the two year delay.
Unfortunately the meter keeps running even if there are no sales. Expect to pay more to repay these costs.

The Juelich forum discussion suggests ...

Just for those who don't read German: The post suggesting the delay to 2019 is from the optics dealer who runs the forum, who says he got that info from Leica. The rest is speculation by the forum users...

Just for those who don't read German: The post suggesting the delay to 2019 is from the optics dealer who runs the forum, who says he got that info from Leica. The rest is speculation by the forum users...

99% of all rumor is founded on fact. o:D

Seems to me that it is time for Leica/former Leitz to relocate their production facilities into one or two of the retirement homes in Wetzlar and the surrounding area to reactivate the old guy and gals from former times when the world was still in order.

Or to get one of the old Trinovids and only use them when it's not pouring rain outside.

In the early 2000s, Nikon decided to release an updated "retro" film slr called the FM-3A. It was the successor to the workhorses FM-2 and FE-2 models which by that time had been discontinued for over a decade. Nikon's intention was to use the same construction methods used in the older models, but soon discovered that the older methods were so different from what their current workers were accustomed to, that they were forced to rehire skilled workers out of retirement to get the cameras built. The end result was that the FM-3A cost 3x what the FM-2 and FE-2 cost when they were current on the market.

I think that if the problem with the new/old trinovid were a lack of skilled labor, then production would still be crawling along slowly, rather than completely halted. I think it more likely that some specialized mold or machinery unique to the trinovid unexpectedly broke, and now they've got to fabricate a new one... or abandon the project. I'm kicking myself for not picking up a 7x35 when I had the chance. A nearby Leica Store had one in stock last November, but then Leica had a sale over Black Friday / Cyber Monday, and someone else got it.

Is Portugal considered overseas?
From the UK, everything else is overseas... ;)

I'm kicking myself for not picking up a 7x35 when I had the chance. A nearby Leica Store had one in stock last November, but then Leica had a sale
First time I hear any were actually sold. I understood that delivery never started. You are sure that had a new 7x35 in stock, or was it perhaps just shown being on stock by mistake...?

From above:
The Juelich forum discussion suggests that Leica used to have technicians that fine tuned the mechanicals, but that these skills were lost as the people retired.

Seems to me that it is time for Leica/former Leitz to relocate their production facilities into one or two of the retirement homes in Wetzlar and the surrounding area to reactivate the old guy and gals from former times when the world was still in order.

In the early 2000s, Nikon decided to release an updated "retro" film slr...intention was to use the same construction methods used in the older models, but soon discovered that the older methods were so different from what their current workers were accustomed to, that they were forced to rehire skilled workers out of retirement to get the cameras built...I think that if the problem with the new/old trinovid were a lack of skilled labor, then production would still be crawling along slowly, rather than completely halted.

The article linked here should be interesting to anyone who likes fine binoculars (please note I am not saying that fine binoculars needs this!) As I recall I was first directed to it by a post in BirdForum some years back, now remembered and searched for it.

The article linked here should be interesting to anyone who likes fine binoculars

A lot in this article, e.g. regarding the workers education and conditions, is not particulaly special for Swarovski, but is just the way professional education is done in Austria (similarly in Germany or Switzerland) and how medium sized bussinesses operate here...

Thanks Dalat for that information. But surely Swaro. is taking that further: below, I copy from the article. Also, my second quote above is from Germany (perhaps here and there "the world is still in order"!)

...For instance, they will do a lot of grinding, sanding and polishing by hand to get an understanding of the glass before they learn about the machining...The apprentices also learn how to construct the binocular and scope housings by hand, starting out with the manual machines before moving on to the CNC machines. After the first year they are tasked with making their own clocks. This is a longstanding Swarovski tradition and a fascinating array of students' clocks adorns the walls...

Last edited:

Or to get one of the old Trinovids and only use them when it's not pouring rain outside.

I suspect that the problem is related to the costs and difficulties inherent in the production of uppendahl prisms rather than waterproofing issues.

I will say, good for Leica, I want them to do things right with this new binocular.

It may be styled like the older model, but be assured, it will be much different and improved.

This is a boutique binocular, that may have a nice sales volume, if done right.

Better late than never.

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back